Kent County is in central Rhode Island. It extends from the western border with Connecticut to Narragansett Bay. The County was established in 1750. It spans 188 square miles and has a population of nearly 170,000 people. It is host to Rhode Island’s main airport T.F Green (PVD IATA). The county is predominantly suburban and has coastal and woodland areas.
Cities and towns
- By Car- For those on I-95 exits 5 through 14 will put you in the county. Route 3 follows a similar path through the county that runs farther into Coventry. Route 102 runs through west Greenwich and Coventry and meets up with Rt. 117 in Coventry, which can be taken eastward towards West Warwick and Warwick or westward toward the Connecticut line.
- By Air- T.F. Green Airport (PVD IATA) located in the heart of Warwick in Kent County and off of exit 13 on I-95. The airport has flight to and from all over the continental U.S. and has connectors to Logan the international airport in Boston.
- R.I.P.T.A., 401-781-9400. Buses have routes all around Rhode Island. During the summer on days with very poor air quality they offer free bus rides to the public
- Apponaug Cab Inc, 401-737-6400, offers service from the airport to locations around Kent County.
- Aero Airport Limousine Services, 401-737-2868 Good for those looking to splurge on a trip or a night out.
- Arcadia Management Area, 260 Arcadia Rd (There are different trails that can be accessed off of Rt. 65), ☏ . Great area open year round for those looking to get back to nature. Great hiking, mountain biking, camping, and fishing grounds.
- Johnson’s Pond, Flat River Rd.. Large pond open to gas and electric powered boats. Great fishing and amazing fireworks on the fourth of July.
- Warwick City Park, Long St.. The park consists of 120 acres full of base ball fields, basketball and tennis courts. The park also contains a life-guarded beachfront and three mile paved biking and walking path through the woods.
- Goddard Memorial State Park, 1095 Ives Rd, ☏ . Great Park located on the Warwick/ East Greenwich line. Containing large fields equestrian grazing areas and trails for people and horses. A relaxing secluded beach spans the border of the park.
- Mishnock Barn, 200 Mishnock Rd, ☏ . Great country music bar with line dancing. Lessons on new line dances offered during the week. Three large dance floors and bar, cash only. $2.00-$15.00.
- Blazes Billiards, 1229 Main St, ☏ . Pool hall with bar that often hosts regional bands. Beer pong tournaments on Sunday nights.
- Dan’s Place, 880 Victory Highway, ☏ . Everyday 12-1, 12-6 Sundays. Full restaurant and bar directly off of the highway great for people traveling through. Offering delicious versions of standard American fare. $4.00-$18.00.
- Original Iggy’s Doughboys and Chowder House, 889 Oakland Beach Ave, ☏ . A true taste of Rhode Island, delicious chowder and clam cakes. Dine in or take out but be ready for long lines, but its well worth the wait. $2.00-$20.00.
- Newport Creamery Restaurant, 2680 W Shore Rd, ☏ . One of the last of a Rhode Island classic. Stop in for a burger and an Awful Awful a wonderfully refreshing version of the milkshake. $2.00-$12.00.
- Gauchos Do Brazil, 24 Jefferson Blvd, ☏ . Very unique all you can eat restaurant where servers bring freshly roasted meats around to tables on the spits and carve meat off for patrons. The “Meat-Lovers Paradise.”.
- McKinley’s, 1 Division St., ☏ . Great Irish pub offering good Irish fare and great drinks. A perfect place to meet up with friends. Outdoor Bar opened up during the summer. $1.00-$8.00 draft-bottle beers, $7.00 cocktails.
- Extended Stay America West Warwick, 1235 Division Rd, ☏ . Offers daily to monthly stay options with studio style rooms kitchens and full baths available.
- NYLO (Local script), 400 Knight St., ☏ . Ultra-Modern style hotel with lodging for vacations or business.
- Sheraton Airport Hotel, 1850 Post Rd., ☏ . $160.