Kerkouane (also Kerkuane) is in Tunisia.
A Phoenician city, Kerkouane was probably abandoned in 3rd century BCE and, therefore, largely ignored by the Romans. As such it is probably the only example of its kind to survive. Noted for its clear demonstration of town planning techniques. The town and its necropolis are a UNESCO World Heritage List site.
Approximately 80 km to the east of Tunis, equidistant (20 km) between the towns of Keliba and El Haouaria.
Buses run from Kelibia and can drop you at the turn off for the ruins from which it is a 1½ km walk. (Unsure where to find these busses, taxi drivers had no information either)
A taxi there from Kelibia should cost about 4-10 DT. No meters here so settle on a price with the taxi drive before going. For the return trip, a taxi driver proposed a price of 2 DT (picking up other passengers on the way). It might be a wait for a taxi on the return and you'll have to get out to the main road (1½ km) but don't hesitate to flag down taxis with passengers as well. Otherwise, you can arrange with the taxi driver to wait for you (probably unnecessary as there are taxis that pass by), or you could hitchhike.
The site could be visited as a day trip from Tunis, Hammamet or perhaps even Sousse. Take a louage to Kelibia (no buses nor trains), which costs about 6.5 DT from Bab Alioua in Tunis. Taxis wait just beside the louage stop.
The remains are easy to walk around. Some form of transport from the main road may be useful as it is about a 1½ km walk
7 DT for entrance to the ruins with 1 DT for photo rights.
- The remains are well marked out and set on a nice stretch of coast line. Allow the best part of an hour to do them justice.
- 1 Musée archéologique De Kerkouane. Tu-Su 16/09 - 16/06 9:00 - 16:00. 18/07 - 15/09 9:00 - 18:00. 17/06 - 17/07 9:30 - 17:00. A small museum detailing the archeological finds and history of the site, included in price. 7 Dt.
- Explore the remains and look out for the minimalist mosaics of the Punic God Tanit
- Sit beside the sea and relax. The sea is rather agitated here!
- Picnic in the old town square, under the big tree.
There is a small gift shop in the museum that sells tourist oriented products.
The museum shop sells a few drinks and snacks.
The best place to base yourself for accommodation would be the nearby town of Kelibia, but a day trip should suffice.