Jump to navigation Jump to search
Northern Tunisia is an area in Tunisia.
Northern Tunisia encompasses the governorates of Ariana, Bèja, Ben Arous, Bizerte, Jendouba, Mahdia, Monastir, Nabeul, Siliana, Sousse, Tunis, and Zaghouan.
- 1 Tunis (تونس , Tūnis) — the laid-back capital of Tunisia with easy access to Carthage and a very authentic souk
- 2 Bizerte (بنزرت , Benzart)
- 3 La Goulette (حلق الوادي , Ḥalq el-Wād)
- 4 Hammamet (حمامات , Ḥammāmāt)
- 5 Kairouan (القيروان , Qeirwān) — a major site for Islamic pilgrimage
- 6 El Kef (الكاف , Il-Māf) — Byzantine and Ottoman architecture in this small town in the northwest
- 7 Kelibia — a coastal town with a fishing port and the Fort of Kelibia
- 8 La Marsa (المرسى , Il-Marṣā)
- 9 Mahdia (المهدية , Al-Mahdīya) — former capital
- 10 Monastir (مـنسـتير , Monāstīr / Mīstīr) — ancient city with a history back to Phoenecian times; these days home of the main charter flight airport in the country
- 11 Port El Kantaoui ( مرسى القنطاوي ) — a popular tourist destination in Tunisia, north of Sousse.
- 12 Sidi Bou Said (سيدي بو سعيد , Sīdi Bū Sɛīd) — picturesque seaside town of white houses with blue doors and shutters.
- 13 Sousse (سوسة , Sūsa) — the town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its architecture, and also a popular beach resort option
- 14 Tabarka (طبرقة , Tbarqa) — Old Phoenician/Roman port city near the Algerian border in far northwest Tunisia.
- 1 Carthage — Phoenician colony, biggest trade metropolis of the antique world; famously razed by the Romans; remnants now encased in a museum; site easily reached by train from Tunis.
- 2 Dougga (دڨة , Doggā) — impressive ruins of a remote Roman city
- 3 El Jem (الجمّ , Il-jām) — one of the best preserved Roman amphitheaters in the world.
- 4 Kerkouane (كركوان , Karkwān) — remnants of the sole untouched Punic settlement which is a UNESCO World Heritage site
- 5 Ichkeul National Park – an important reserve for the local birds in the area and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Tunis–Carthage International Airport (Aéroport de Tunis-Carthage, مطار تونس قرطاج الدولي) (TUN IATA)
- Menzel Bourguiba town which name is translated as "House of Bourguiba", as it was named after the first president of independent Tunisia, Habib Bourguiba.
- Quamart — a purpose built beach resort just south of Tunis.