Jump to navigation Jump to search
La Marsa is a beach-side settlement in Northern Tunisia.
Get the TGM train line from Tunis. La Marsa is the last stop. Trips cost less than 1 DT and take something over 30 minutes.
- The beach is quite nice, but is reputedly popular with locals from Tunis on weekends.
- There is a mosque with a fairly interesting tower near the train station
- 1 Abdelliya Palace (Palais El Abdelliya). One of the most lavish creations of Hafsid dynasty sultans. Built in the early sixteenth century by one of their last sovereign, Abu Abdallah Mohamed. It is the oldest evidence of Muslim Palatine architecture remained in a good state in Maghreb.
- Relax in a coffee shop
- There is a fantastic restaurant literally above the water on the beach. A meal with two courses and a beer will run you just under 50 DT, but the impeccable service and view out over the ocean and down the beach is well worth it.
- 1 The Cliff (On the hill south east of La Marsa). Fine dining, particularly seafood, on the cliff. This is a smart modern restaurant with good view over the sea.
- 2 Les Ombrelles (The Parasols) (Next to Sindbad bar). 8PM onwards. Right on the sea front which gives a great view over the sea. Very good seafood for a reasonable price.
- The O Bar at the Hotel Plaza Corniche is popular, as is the nightclub below (only starts around 1AM outside of summer, mostly house music but a friendly DJ with much music who can likely play to suit your taste if you arrive early or with a large group. License finishes 2AM).
- 1 Blanko kitesurf club, Gammarth, by the Carrefour mall / Gammarth Center / Ramada Plaza hotel (pass the shopping mall by the right towards the sea). 10:00 - 02:00. Open April - October on the beach. Nightclub, bar, cafe with dancefloor. Pop, rock, live music (depending on day), and mixed crowd full on weekends. Tables indoor or outdoor on the beach, mats, dancefloor. No entry after midnight. Almost no Tunisians unaccompanied by female. "Parking fee" 2 DT, but charged 3 DT unofficially, even if you park by the shopping mall.
- 2 Le Plug, La Marsa Plage. Great place to get a drink in the house in the sea with amazing view, DJs or live rock music, young crowd with a trendy and alternative touch. No entry after 23:00. Almost no to guys only companies without "reservation". Beer 6 DT.
- The unique Hotel Plaza Corniche is on Rue de Maroc, a few hundred metres up from the train station (from the station, walk back down the train line on the coastal side. You can't miss the entrance). Not cheap, but offers pleasant enough rooms and a simple breakfast gratis. Quite an experience!
- 1 The Residence Tunis by Cenizaro, Boite Postale 697, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3 pm, check-out: 12 pm. Starting from USD 160.