Jump to navigation Jump to search
Saharan Tunisia is the southern and western area of Tunisia which consists mostly of desert.
- 1 Douz (دوز , Dūz)
- 2 Nefta – Tunisia's centre of Sufism with many desert villages nearby
- 3 Tataouine (تطاوين ; Berber: Tiṭṭawin) – Lent its name to Luke Skywalker's home planet in Star Wars. Several of the locations are popular destinations.
- 4 Tozeur (توزر , Tozir; Berber: ⵜⵓⵣⴻⵔ , Tuzer) – gateway to several Saharan oasis villages
- 1 Jebil National Park – a large Saharan National Park with impressive dunes and rock formations
- 2 Métlaoui (متلوي , Mitlawī) — get aboard the restored Red Lizard vintage train snaking through scenic gorges and hills
- 3 Sufetula (سبيطلة , Sbaytlā) — a fairly well preserved Roman town
- 4 Haïdra − the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Ammaedara
- 5 Ksar Ghilane
- 6 Chott el Djerid – the largest salt lake of Sahara, varies in size depending on season.
The region consists of the governorates Gafsa, Kairouan, Kasserine, Kebili, Kef, Tataouine and Tozeur.
- 1 Gafsa Ksar International Airport (Aéroport international de Gafsa-Ksar GAF IATA).
- Tozeur-Nefta, Tozeur–Nefta International Airport Aéroport International de Tozeur–Nefta TOE IATA