- 1 SRTM bus station.
Since public transport is limited, and most of the ksars are a few kilometers out of town, renting a car or hiring a taxi for the day may be the best choice to see the interesting spots around Tataouine.
- 1 Ksar Ouled Soltane. This 15th-century ksar (fortified granary) is one of the best of its kind left, standing on a hilltop. The Ksar Ouled Soltaine gained fame as the slave quarters where Anakin Skywalker lived in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
- 2 Douiret. An abandoned Berber town perched on a hillside, about 20 km from Tataouine. The ksar on the hilltop is visible for miles. Almost no one goes there, but the ruins are in good condition and make for an excellent exploration. A tiny part of the village is still occupied (a mosque and a few houses). Best to have your own transport, though you can try convincing a camionnette to go out of its way to drop you. Hitching a ride is the only way back. Refreshments are available at the site.
- 3 Chenini. Another gorgeous abandoned hilltop village topped with a ksar, but you will find large tour groups visiting with you. There is an excellent restaurant for lunch (if you have a car, drive to Douiret early and then end up at Chenini for lunch). Camionettes leave from Tataouine early, look for a taxi, or try to sign up for a 4WD tour (ask at your hotel).
- 4 Ghorfa Ksar El Ferech (On C207,15 km northwest of Tataouine, between Ghomrassen and Ksar El Air). Another ksar along C207. Larger than some other ksars, but with only two-story buildings. Palm trees and flowers on the ground make the place seem like an ancient garden. A small salon de thé offers tea, coffee and souvenirs. Free.
Corne de gazelle (gazelle horn) is a local pastry found in the pastry shops (pâtisserie).
Medenine is the next big city and has more accommodation options.
Maztouria, Ksar Daghara, Gattoufa, Ksar el Air, Ghomrassen, Kirchaou
- Matmata, another filming location of Star Wars, featuring traditional underground cave houses
- Douz, the gateway to Sahara and a good starting point for desert tours