- Not to be confused with Bitola, a Macedonian city historically known as Monastir.
Monastir is a city in Tunisia and one of the best tourist destinations in Northern Africa. Set along a superb coastline with a blue sea and long golden sandy beaches, Monastir is a pleasant seaside resort as well as historical town full of traditions.
Monastir out under the protection of its ribat, one of the most impressive fortresses of Tunisia, its medina, its fishing port, its marina and its background of villages and orchards make it a lively and welcoming destination.
Situated halfway between Sousse and Mahdia, and in the intersection of Kairouan and El Jem, Monastir is distinguished by its strategic location in the central coast of Tunisia. It is an ancient city dating from Phoenician times. Due to its strategic location, it shelters the oldest and the most important Ribat in the Maghreb: a lovely fortress that is one of Tunisia's finest examples of Islamic military architecture.
Monastir is also known as a really beautiful and calm city.
Located 160 km from the capital Tunis, Monastir is a three-hour flight from many principal European cities.
- 1 Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport, Skanes, ☎ . is at Skanes, 9 km from the city center. The trip by taxi costs about 5 DT. Getting to the airport is also possible through train between Monastir and Sousse, since the train station "Airport" is 200 m from airport terminal.
- Ribat. This fortified monastery is located next to the sea and provides a great visit with most of the ruins open to clamber over. It may be familiar as it has been used in several films as a stand in for Jerusalem, most notably Monty Python's Life of Brian.
- Mausoleum of Bourguiba. In the centre of a large cemetery is this enormous mausoleum.
- Museum of popular arts and traditions of Monastir. Displays traditional Tunisian costumes: wedding costumes, adornments, woven domestic items and copper objects.
- Islamic Arts Museum of Monastir. Contains illuminated manuscripts, Coptic textiles from the fourth to seventh century, tissues from the ninth century, the Fatimid glass of tenth and eleventh centuries, Abbasid pottery, coins of gold and silver from the tenth and eleventh centuries and especially unique: an Arabic astrolabe made in Cordoba in 927 CE.
- Marina. Admiring looks,enormous yachts,floating restaurants and luxury hotels.
- The Old Port. Old symbolic port with excellent location and panoramic views.
- 1 Touristic bicycle. €1/hour.
- 2 Karting, Airport Road, Tourist Area, Near Sahara Beach Hotel, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. from 10:00 to 02:00 in summer and from 09:30 to 19:30 in the rest of the year. The Palm Karting Monastir offers a great deal for those who are passionate for karting or those who want to try it. Two circuits (adults and kids), a coffee shop, a great Mexican restaurant and a nice party space. 15 minutes/15 DT (980 m) and 10 minutes/7 DT (350 m).
You can also go around Monastir with the famous and traditional carriages and of course for a good price.
- Touristic train
It is a cheap and original means to discover the city.
Only a small section of the original Medina remains but it contains a bazaar selling the usual souvenirs, artisanal jewelry, pottery and carpets. Prices seemed to be generally lower than in nearby Sousse.
The infrastructure of hotels is of a remarkable quality and continues to get even better. Classed hotels (from one to five stars) are beyond reproach for hygiene and facilities. Covered swimming pools, sporting facilities, mini-clubs for children and spa centers are very common. If you want to sleep in a normal class you should choose El Mouradi Skanes Hotel, a great hotel close to the beach. It is not a cheap hotel but it is worth the price.
- 1 [dead link]Complex des jeunes Ali Skhiri Monastir (Youth Complex of Ali Skhiri), Avenue Teib M'hiri , 5000 Monastir, Tunisia, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Very clean hostel, with free Wi-Fi spots. The capacity of the complex is 32 people, and its restaurant capacity can reach 50 people. 15 DT.
- 2 Royal Thalassa Monastir, Skanes, ☎ , fax: . The only hotel with 5 stars in town. From 250 DT double.
- 3 Amir Palace, Dkhila, ☎ , fax: . 4-star hotel. From 100 DT double.
- 4 Dessole Bella Vista, Zone Touristique Dkhila Skanes, ☎ , fax: . 4-star hotel.
- 5 Delphin Ribat Hotel Monastir (El Habib), Av Habib Bourguiba, ☎ , fax: . 3-star hotel. From 100 DT double.