Its history dates back to the 10th century. In 1364 Kielce was recognised as a city and gained certain privileges connected with this legal status. In 1496 Kielce was conferred its coat of arms by the Fryderyk cardinal Jagiellończyk, Polish prince and primate, serving as a bishop in Kraków.
The history of Kielce is rich in important events for the history of Poland. For example here, in 1816, the first Polish higher technical university was organised. It was free of charge and had two teaching languages: Polish and German. The Kielce pogrom resulted in the deaths of 40 Jewish Holocaust survivors and another 80 injured nearly a year after the final Nazi death camp was liberated. The antecedence of the pogrom are still not clear and many hypotheses are still being considered.
- 1 Regional Tourist Information Centre, ul. Henryka Sienkiewicza 29, ☏ . M-Sa 09:00—17:00, closed on Su.
There is an international airport in the near town of Kraków Kraków-Balice Airport (KRK IATA), but more flights go from Warsaw: Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport (WAW IATA): For those travelling from Warsaw serviced by Polski Express. See also: Routes/Timetable
Kielce is very easy to reach by train, as it is on the main line between Kraków and Warsaw. You can check train timetables in English at 
Many international connections (see Poland::By bus).
- The National Museum (Muzeum Narodowe), pl. Zamkowy 1, ☏ . Tu-Su 09:00—17:00, closed on M.
- 1 Palace of the Kraków Bishops (Pałac Biskupów Krakowskich), plac Zamkowy 1, ☏ . May-Aug: Tu-Su 10:00—18:00, M closed; Sep-Apr: Tu-Su 09:00—17:00, M closed. The palace is a branch of the National Museum in Kielce. 20 zł regular, 15 zł reduced.
- The Kielce Village Museum (Muzeum Wsi Kieleckiej), ul. Jana Pawła II 6. Open air museum.
- 2 Toy Museum (Muzeum Zabawek i Zabawy), plac Wolności 2, ☏ .
- 3 Cathedral of the Ascension of Mary (Bazylika katedralna Wniebowzięcia NMP), plac Najświętszej Maryi Panny. Close to the Palace of the Kraków Bishops.
- Municipal Park (Park Miejski).
- 4 Stefan Żeromski's School Years Musuem (Muzeum Lat Szkolnych Stefana Żeromskiego), Jana Pawła II 5, ☏ . M-F Su 08:00—16:00, Sa closed. Another branch of the National Museum in Kielce. 8 zł regular, 6 zł reduced.
- 5 Kadzielnia Amphitheatre (Amfiteatr Kadzielnia), aleja Legionów 1.
- 6 [dead link] Institute of Design Kielce (Instytut Dizajnu w Kielcach), ul. Zamkowa 3, ☏ . Located in a renovated jail house.
- Sienkiewicza Street
- Forest Alleys
- 1 Sienkiewicz Street (ulica Henryka Sienkiewicza), Henryka Sienkiewicza. The main shopping street in Kielce and partially pedestrianized.
- 2 Galeria Echo, Świętokrzyska 20.
- 3 Pasaż Świętokrzyski, Edmunda Massalskiego 3, ☏ .
- 4 Centrum Handlowe Radomska, Radomska 8.
- 1 Hotel Kongresowy, Al. Solidarności 34, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The Hotel Kongresowy is a modern 3 star hotel catering to business people. 182-690 zł.
- 2 Best Western Grand Hotel, Ul. Sienkiewicza 78 (In front of the train station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 La Mar Hotel, Ul. Sikorskiego 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This modern hotel has very large rooms. The hotel also has a swimming pool and bowling alley.
- 4 Qubus Hotel, ul. Składowa 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A 4-star hotel between the bus and train station and the historic city centre.
- 5 Hotel Kameralny, ul. Tarnowska 7, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel Ibis Kielce Centrum, ul. Warszawska 19, ☏ , fax: . A chain hotel opened in 2009 in the city centre with reasonable rates. rates from €36.
- 7 Dom Harcerza Hostel Kielce, ul. Pańska 1A. A cozy & friendly hostel invites you to rest and relax about 6 km from the city centre of Kielce. rates from €5.
- 8 Youth Hostel Wedrownik (HI hostel), ul. Szymanowskiego 5, ☏ . Budget hostel in a school, about 15 minutes by foot from the city center, with Wifi accessible from the entry of the TV room. Nearby are Tesco on the one side (in Bohaterow Warszawy), Biedronka and Lidl on the other side (Sandomierska-Slaska intersection). 29 zł.
- Sandomierz — a very important historic town on the banks of the Vistula river, relatively close to Kielce