Sandomierz is a city in the Świętokrzyskie Voivodship in Poland. Sandomierz is located close to the Vistula river and benefits touristically from the important role the town used to play in the past. It is known as a medieval town with many remaining buildings from the late middle ages and Renaissance.
The airports in Warsaw, Kraków and Rzeszów are the best options to get to Sandomierz.
Sandomierz is a medieval town with many buildings from the late middle ages or Renaissance. From among 120 monuments of architecture, as the most precious ones are regarded the architectural and scenery complex of the Old Town preserving its urban layout from the 2nd half the 14th c. There is also an older Romanesque church and some wonderfully preserved medieval tunnels under the city.
- 1 Sandomierz Castle (Zamek), Zamkowa.
- 2 Dominican Monastery, Staromiejska 3, ☏ .
- 3 Dominican Church and Convent of St. James, Staromiejska 3. Dominican church and convent.
- 4 Church of St Michael the Archangel (Kościół Rzymskokatolicki pw. św. Michała Archanioła), Stefana Żeromskiego 6. The Church under the invocation of St. Michael - the complex of the former Benedictine Convent, built in the 17th c., it has preserved it's baroque forms unchanged.
- 5 St. Paul's Church (Kościół pw. św. Pawła), Staromiejska 11.
- 6 Opatowska Gate (Brama Opatowska), Opatowska. Built in the 14th - 16th centuries - one of the best preserved town gates in Poland.
- 7 Town Hall, Rynek 1. Built in the 14th century, expanded on in the 16th century (the attic), one of the most beautiful Renaissance town halls in Poland.
- 8 Cathedral (Bazylika katedralna Narodzenia NMP), Katedralna 1, ☏ . Built in 14th century, Gothic, has preserve it's original spatial arrangements and the rich carve decorations inside.
- 9 House of Jan Długosz, Jana Długosza 9, ☏ . Tu-Sa: 9:30—16:30, Su: 13:30—16:30. Closed on M. Built in 1476 by the foundation of the famous historian - one of the best-preserved Gothic dwelling-houses. Nowadays it houses the rich collections of the Diocesan Museum. 6zł regular, 3zł reduced.
- 10 Soviet Soldiers Cemetery, Adama Mickiewicza 80.