Kigoma is a city in Tanzania. Beautifully situated on the shores of Lake Tanganyika. Capital of the Western Region. Main railway terminus on the shores of Lake Tanganyika. Important harbour. Population of 136,000 (2007).
The city has little infrastructure. Its roads are still mostly unpaved, electricity and water supply are erratic.
A twice-weekly overnight sleeper is also available from Dar es Salaam via Dodoma and Tabora, the journey takes two nights from Dar es Salaam and one night from cities further inland. A ticket for second class sleepers costs TSh 39,700, while first class tickets start at TSh 54,900.
The German colonial 1 Kigoma railway station is located directly in the city centre.
Kigoma is at the end of road B381, leaving the national road B8 at Kasulu. Roads are passable and steadily being improved. Traversing the country takes 3-4 days.
The ancient MV Liemba, built in 1913 by Germans, still plys up and down Lake Tanganyika between Kigoma and Mpulungu on the southern shores of the lake in Zambia, stopping at several places along the coast. There are first, second and third class on board.
By foot, taxi, or little motorcycle taxis (TSh 1000-2000 in 2014) for an inner city ride.
- Ujiji, the nearby former Arab slave trading settlement, the famous meeting place of Stanley and Livingstone.
- Gombe National Park for chimpanzee viewing
- Lake Tanganyika
- Mahale Mountains National Park.
- National Bank of Commerce. Has a Visa Card ATM.
- Leaders Lodge.
- Diocese of Kigoma Community Centre (On Kiezya Rd), ☏ . Single/double rooms with common bathroom. Basic accommodation but good value for the money. Not far from the railway station and the post office. TSh 2500/3500.
- 1 Lake Tanganyika Hotel (Just off Stanley Rd), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A modern hotel on the shore of Lake Tanganyika at the southern outskirts of Kigoma. Clean, comfortable with a lively bar that also serves simple but good food.
- 2 Aqua Lodge, Katonga road, ☏ . Fan rooms From TSh 10,000.
- Poyongo Lodge, Uiji road. From TSh 10,000.
- Leaders Lodge (Leaders), Kigoma,Tanzania, ☏ . Bed and Breakfast & Free Fast Internet access (Wi-Fi) 20000.
- 3 Jakobsen Beach Guest House. Some 5 km from the town center, Jakobsen Beach offers various different accomodation options. The houses and tents are scattered over a vast area, connected with dirt tracks. The coastline is wonderful, and Zebras come for a visit regularly. Food is not offered, but kitchens are available. from TSh 40,000.
The MV Liemba sails in direction Mpulungu (Zambia) and has a very erratic schedule.