A car is a must to get in and out of town, as public transport is near non-existent. Getting around town is not too difficult due to the town's size, which makes walking or cycling ideal. A car is essential to visit areas around or outside town.
Remnants of the town's gold mining history are visible in some places.
- Prophet Gold Mine allows tourists to fossick for gold for just $11. Gold pouring demonstrations also for $11. Open 6 days a week, except Fridays. Located 5 minutes from Kilkivan's town centre on 504 Rossmore Rd. Ph: (07) 5484 1226.
- Popular things to do are horse riding and bush camping.
- Kilkivan Ampol Cafe is centrally located in the small town for grabbing a quick bite to eat. Located on Bligh Street. Ph: (07) 5484 1284
- Kilkivan Hotel-Motel (See Sleep) is a heritage-listed pub attracting travellers from all over the country due to its friendly atmosphere and kind hospitality. The Pub boasts a bar, accommodation, and meals.
- Kilkivan Hotel-Motel is right in the centre of town on Bligh Street. Charming country-style accommodation is provided, with the four rooms including amenities such as coffee machines, televisions and DVD players, and ensuites. Hotel rooms are available with shared bathrooms. Ph: (07) 5484 1125.
- The Left Bank provides a unique place to stay. Located on Bligh Street, the building was the original bank residence and dates from the early 1900s. This Bed and Breakfast is winner of the Tourism Award for Unique Accommodation three years in a row, and has been inducted in the region's Tourism Hall of Fame. Ph (07) 5484 1016.
Mobile phone coverage is very limited in the area.
Caution - Beware of snakes in the bushland. Taipans and Brown Snakes are common.