A car is a must to get in and out of town, as public transport is near non-existent. Getting around town is not too difficult due to the town's size, which makes walking or cycling ideal. A car is essential to visit areas around or outside town.
Remnants of the town's gold mining history are visible in some places.
- Prophet Gold Mine allows tourists to fossick for gold for just $11. Gold pouring demonstrations also for $11. Open 6 days a week, except Fridays. Located 5 minutes from Kilkivan's town centre on 504 Rossmore Rd. Ph: (07) 5484 1226.
- Popular things to do are horse riding and bush camping.
- Kilkivan Ampol Cafe is centrally located in the small town for grabbing a quick bite to eat. Located on Bligh Street. Ph: (07) 5484 1284
- Kilkivan Hotel-Motel (See Sleep) is a heritage-listed pub attracting travellers from all over the country due to its friendly atmosphere and kind hospitality. The Pub boasts a bar, accommodation, and meals.
- Kilkivan Hotel-Motel, Bligh Street, ☏ . Charming country-style accommodation is provided, with the four rooms including amenities such as coffee machines, televisions and DVD players, and ensuites. Hotel rooms are available with shared bathrooms.
- The Left Bank, Bligh Street, ☏ . The building was the original bank residence and dates from the early 1900s. This Bed and Breakfast is winner of the Tourism Award for Unique Accommodation three years in a row, and has been inducted in the region's Tourism Hall of Fame.
Mobile phone coverage is very limited in the area.
Caution - Beware of snakes in the bushland. Taipans and Brown Snakes are common.