- 1 Townsville - unofficial capital of North Queensland with about 160,000 people (including Thuringowa)
- 2 Charters Towers - this town on the frontier between coast and country has a colourful history in gold mining and agriculture.
- 3 Bowen
- 4 Airlie Beach
- 5 Mackay - the 'sugar capital' is full of Australian history and boasts a beautiful tropical botanic gardens.
- 6 Yeppoon
- 7 Rockhampton - the commercial centre of the region. Promotes itself as the "beef capital of Australia".
- 8 Gladstone - this port town allows visitors to experience hundreds of years of industrial history through museums and tours. The nearby resort of Agnes Water contains the most northerly surfing beach on Australia's east coast.
- 9 Town of 1770 - this town on the frontier between coast and country has a colourful history in gold mining and agriculture.
- 10 Bundaberg - Sugarcane
- 11 Gin Gin
- 12 Hervey Bay
- 13 Maryborough
- 14 Rainbow Beach - picturesque coastal town hosting some of Queensland's best activities.
- 15 Kilkivan
- 16 Ayr
- 17 Proserpine
- 18 Yeppoon
- 1 Whitsunday Islands - 74 perfect islands off the coast of tourist haven Airlie Beach, with white-sand beaches and clear turquoise water all around.
- 2 Heron Island in the Southern Reef Islands
- 3 Lady Elliot Island - A coral cay with a diversity of bird and marine life, and resort facilities. Also in the Southern Reef Islands.
- 4 Fraser Island - the world's largest sand island.
- 5 Magnetic Island
- 6 Paluma - southern Rainforest town close to Townsville.
Central Queensland is served with flights from most major centres in Australia through its coastal airports. Cairns and Gold Coast airports also serve some international destinations.
A drive from top to bottom of this region will take 13 hours from Townsville to Rainbow Beach. There isn't much of a passenger train network, and without a car you be reliant on buses and planes.
- Whales, at Hervey Bay, the local centre for watching these majestic creatures.
- The 'singing ship' memorial to Captain James Cook at Yeppoon.
- Fossick for gems near the appropriately-named towns of Emerald, Rubyvale and Sapphire.
- Explore the trails of the pristine Carnarvon National Park.
- Take a railway tour at the former gold-mining town of Mount Morgan.
- Prospect for gold at the Prophet Gold Mine in Kilkivan.
- Amazing pies at Joccheim's Bakery in Bowen, in the footsteps of Australia actors Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman.
- Bundaberg rum in Bundaberg.
- Whatever the locals are drinking at the pub in Gin Gin, 45 minutes out of Bundaberg.
- Watch out for snakes when venturing into Central Queensland's pristine nature.
To the North:
To the South: