Mackay Airport (MKY) is 5km south of the city centre. QANTAS, Virgin Blue and Jetstar have frequent flights from Brisbane. Qantaslink have services to Cairns, Townsville, and Rockhampton. Tigerair Australia offers direct flights to Melbourne and Sydney.
Queensland Rail has twice weekly services running from Mackay to Brisbane on the "Tilt Train"
Mackay has an extensive marina which is often the first stop for those exploring the whitsunday islands but no regular passenger ferries run at this time.
Greyhound buslines have regular services from Brisbane stopping at the airport and in Mackay itself on the way to Carins. Mackay Transit Coaches operates from North Mackay to South Mackay. The area with the best service coverage is Mackay CBD.
Limited bus services run in the Mackay region. Cars can be hired from the airport.
Taxis are available from major shopping centres and individuals can call the service to be picked up from a specified destination.
Bicycles (push bikes) are a good fit for city transportation. Projects are ongoing to expand current bicycle routes, one long route exists from West of the city to the Canelands shopping area.
- Harbour Beach and The Marina
- Eungella National Park
- Cape Hillsborough National Park
- The Whitsunday Islands
- Mackay Regional Botanical Gardens
- Artspace Mackay
- Historical Farleigh Mill - tours run daily (Monday to Friday) during the sugar season: July - November
The main industries of Mackay are coal mining and Sugar Cane, Mackay being the "Sugar Capital of Australia". Many use Mackay as a stopping point for lucrative mining work in the Bowen Basin of central Queensland.
Mackay has two major shopping centres
- Mount Pleasant Greenfields located on the Corner Phillip Street and the Bruce Highway
Mount Pleasant (affectionately known by locals as "Mount P") contains major retailers such as
- K Mart
Greenfields is a shopping precinct located across the road from Mount Pleasant. Occupants include:
- Bunnings Warehouse
- Sams Warehouse
- Clark Rubber
- Birch Carroll and Coyle Cinema's
Caneland Central is undergoing expansion, it is located on Mangrove Road and includes major retailers such as
- Big W
- Best and Less
- City Beach
- Rush Surfwear
- Mathers Shoes
- Spend Less Shoes
- Crazy Johns
- EB Games
Try the eateries at the Marina overlooking the boats - loverly cool breezies. Mid range prices.
- Comfort Resort Blue Pacific, 26 Bourke Street, Blacks Beach, Mackay 4740, ☏ .
- Clarion Hotel Mackay Marina, Mulherin Drive, Mackay, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. 4.5 star Mackay hotel, close to CBD, on site restaurant, buffet breakfast, room service, fitness centre, business center facilities.
|Routes through Mackay|
|Townsville ← Eungella National Park ←||N S||→ Rockhampton → Brisbane|