Jump to navigation Jump to search
Paluma is a very small village 60 km north of Townsville, Queensland, Australia.
If you want to escape the hot, humid weather of Townsville, go up to Paluma, which is in the Mount Spec ranges of Thuringowa's heritage-listed Wet Tropics.
To get in by car, take the bitumen road from the Bruce Highway all the way to Paluma. The view is spectacular as you wind your way up to the 1000 metres above sea level where Paluma is located.
- Swim. Half-way up the mountain is the Little Crystal Creek gorge where you can swim in the water pools. Toilets and change rooms are provided so bring a towel!
- Rain forest walks.
- Historical town walks.
- Paluma Pottery.
- Flooded Gums. Drive past Paluma along the stretch of bitumen road and see the magnificent Flooded Gum's forest.
- 1 Rainforest Inn, 1 Mount Spec Rd, ☏ +61 7 4770 8688. This restaurant / bar was built in 2005 and is open and spacious. The menu was modern with share plates included in the entree list and a good selection of mains. Quite a surprise finding it here. Great place.
- Paluma Dreaming. Appeared to be more of a fast food type menu. It is located at the Backpackers.
- Misthaven Units, ☏ +61 7 4770 8666.
- Rainforest Inn, 1 Mount Spec Rd, ☏ +61 7 4770 8688.
- Paluma Dreaming, email@example.com. You are not allowed to bring any drinks because they provide food. There are dormitories for men, women and teacher or adults, two people sleep in one room.
- Fatima Cottage, ☏ +61 7 4770 8520.
- Mt Spec Cottage, ☏ +61 7 4770 8520.
- Forest Mist, ☏ +61 7 4770 8578.
- Hidden Valley Cabins, CMB 46, Hidden Valley 4816, ☏ +61 7 4770 8088, toll-free: 1800 466 509, firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great little place 25 km further on from Paluma. Accommodation is in wood cabins surrounded by the Australian bush. There is a bar across the lawn from your cabin and close by is a pool and covered area with large screen TV. Mountain biking is an activity in the area. Large wallabies can be seen from your cabin.