The population of Kirov is approximately 500,000 people. The city dates back to at least 1374 and was formerly known as Vyatka and Khlynov. It is named after Soviet leader Sergey Kirov who was assassinated on December 1, 1934.
See Russia#Get in for details of getting to Russia.
- See also: Trans-Siberian Railway
- Kirov Rail Station (Kirov-I). The main railway station. All Trans-Siberian trains stop at Kirov-I. Trains from this station connect the city to Moscow (12-14 hours), Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Izhevsk, and the Russian Black Sea coast.
- Kirov Kotlassky Rail Station (Kirov-II). A minor station serving trains on the non-electrified railway to points north (Kotlas, Komi Republic).
- 1 Pobedilovo Airport (KVX IATA) (is 22km southwest of the city centre), ☏ . There are regular to flights to Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Perm, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Samara, Ufa, and Simferopol.
Public transport includes a network of buses, trolleys and marshrutkas. A ride on public transport costs 16 руб. Route maps can be found online [dead link].
Taxis are plentiful.
- 2 Chocolate History Museum, Spasskaya 15, ☏ . 10:00-20:00, closed M. Chocolate and chocolate-making exhibits as well as classes for budding chocolatiers.
- 3 Vyatka Vasnetsovs' Art Museum (Vyatskiy Khudozhestvennyy Muzey Imeni V.m. I A.m. Vasnetsovykh), Karla Marksa 70, ☏ . W, F-Su 10:00-18:00, Th 12:00-20:00, closed M-Tu. A large painting collection of the Vasnetsov Brothers, including their own, showcasing some 230000 works of European and Russian art.
- 4 Dymkovskaya Toy Museum, Svobody 67. Recalls a Soviet toy workshop that was a big deal here in Kirov.
- 5 Kirov Regional Local Lore Museum, Spasskaya 6. Local lore items. Lots of stuffed bobcats and wolverines and such if you are into that.
- 6 Museum of Paleontology (Vyatskiy Paleontologicheskiy Muzey), Spasskaya 22, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10:00-18:00, Su 10:00-17:00, closed M. Caution: dino fossils ahead.
- 7 Diorama Museum Exhibition Centre, Ulitsa Gor'kogo, 32, ☏ . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00, closed M. Little exhibits about yesteryear in Vyatka/Kirov, woodsmen and ladies in their mink coats, etc.
- 8 Regional Museum of History of Public Education, Moskovskaya St. About old days' Kirov school life.
- 9 The Aircraft and Astronautics Museum of K.E. Tsiolkovsky, Preobrazhenskaya St., 16. Cosmonaut stuff.
- 10 Kirov Railway Museum (Muzey Zheleznodorozhnogo Trasporta), Ulitsa Karla Marksa, 147. Train and old technology stuff on display.
- Museum of Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin, Ulitsa Lenin 93. House museum where the eponymous Russian satirist was exiled from 1848-1855.
- 11 Museum of Alexander S. Green, Volodarsky Street 44. Similar story as the aforementioned house museum, another exiled political enemy of the state.
- Modern Art Center 'Gallery Of Progress', an art exhibit of sorts at Ulitsa Gorkogo 5 over by the Jam Moll.
- 12 Parish of the Holy Dormition Cathedral (Приход Свято-Успенского кафедрального собора), Ulitsa Gorbacheva, 4. daily 07:00-19:00. Kirov's premier cathedral complex and site of Assumption Trifonov Monastery. Get ready for onion domes and gilded iconostases.
- 13 Spassky Cathedral, Ulitsa Kazanskaya, 50. Daily 07:00-19:00. Who can resist its peppermint stripe design with gilded dome, this church spanning 250 years?.
- 14 Parish of St. Seraphim Cathedral, Ulitsa Uritskogo, 25. Very intricate design that was put forth by the local architect I.A.Charushin c. 1906 and dedicated to Saint Seraphim, and which has a tribute to the holy Royal Passion-Bearers (i.e. Tsar Nicholas II, Tsaritsa Alexandra and their children, or, in other words, the Romanovs).
- Aleksandrovskiy Kostel, Ulitsa Derendyayeva, 46. Prominent church that holds concerts and has a stately organ.
- 15 The church in honor of Our Lady of the Theodore Icon, Ulitsa Naberezhnaya Grina, 7. daily 07:00-19:00. A picturesque wooden picture that is the restoration of another vanquished during Bolshevik times, overlooking the Vyatka River - quite possibly the best view in Kirov. A monument to A. Grine stands watch.
- 16 Alexander Garden. Big greenspace for checking out the gardens, Coastal Rotunda, Vyatka River, and endless flat land beyond.
- 17 Botanical Garden (Botanicheskiy Sad), Ulitsa Karla Marksa, 95. Hardy plant specimens that make do in a continental climate.
- Dendrologic Park, Traktovaya Ulitsa, 6. Forest arboretum where you can take a private walk if you really want to get away from it all. Limited amenities available, as in toilets.
- Pond near Diorama
- Dvorets Pionerov Memorial Park
- Zarechny Park
- 18 Memorial Eternal Flame, Moskovskaya st., 1. It commemorates something (probably victory at the end of WWII), and provides a splendid view of the Vyatka River as well.
- 19 Marshal Konev Monument, Ulitsa Marshala Koneva, 1. Pretty serious monument to this Marshal of the Soviet Union Ivan Konev who is credited with taking control of much of eastern Axis-occupied Europe. Behind him there is the Yugo-Zapadnyy Rynok open market.
- Monument of the Family
- Tank T-34: Monument to the Heroic Work of Residents of Kirov
- A. Afanasyev Kirov Puppet Theater
- 1 Regional Drama Theater (Кировский драматический театр).
Festivals and events
- Ice Climbing World Cup. March. Annual competition.
- Igloo Building competition - a team competition for the best snow sculpture in different nominations. It is held in the Fairy-Tale Preserve site in the "Zarechniy "park across the Vyatka River usually in March.
- Greenlandia Festival - a 3-day russian bard music festival that takes place in July every year in Bosharovo not far from Kirov. Alcohol free, kids friendly festival with multiple concerts. Some people camp, some just come for selected concerts.
Local crafts are unique and beautiful:
- Dymkovo toys - a famous local ceramic toy can be found in big shopping centers, in specialized crafts shops (e.g. Vorovskogo 52 or Upita 13) or in the special Dymkovo toy shop on Svobodi 67.
- Matryoshka nesting doll - Kirov is one of the center of Matreshka production. Matreshka from this region (Vyatskaya Matreshka) is inlaid with straw and is exceptionally beautiful and unique.
- Kukarka Lace (aka Vyatka Lace or Kirov Lace) is a type of traditional handmade bobbin weaving and one of the well-known folk Kirov arts. Together with other local crafts made out of straw, woodknobs (nodule), skein, or juniper keep they can be found in the multiple crafts shops around the city.
- 1 Jam Moll, Ulitsa Gor'kogo, 5а. daily 10ː00-22ː00. Modern mall with cinema.
- 2 Vyatka-Tsum, Ulitsa Vorovskogo, 77. daily 09ː00-20ː00. Another mall with glass edifice.
- "Danar" ("Данар")- is a turkish doner concept. Fresh ingredients from the region, low prices. More than 20 locations around the city.
- Koleso, Surikova 19.
- McDonald's, Vorovskogo 100A (adjacent to Globus trading center).
- Symposium, Krasina 10, ☏ . Greek food.
- Tsarskoe Selo, Gertsena 78, ☏ .
- Jackie Brown Pub, Karla Marksa 101.
- 1 Hotel-Museum Inn, Ulitsa Gertsena, 15, ☏ . A cozy log cabin-looking place with a hot tub and breakfast (extra). 1252 руб.
- 2 HD Hostel Kirov, Ulitsa Rozy Lyuksemburg, 102, ☏ . A little out of the way but pleasant hostel that is pet friendly. 884 руб.
- Hotel Kirov, Ulitsa Krasina 10, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 32 rooms. Opened in 2012. Free breakfast. Cafe/bar and sauna. From 3020 руб.
- Staryy Dvorik Na Orlovskoy, Orlovskaya 48, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 31 rooms. Opened in 2020. Has a spa and lots of pampering touches. From 2651 руб.
- 3 Hotel Vyatka, Oktyabr'skiy Prospekt, 145, ☏ . Has a nice Soviet look, even with some sort of patriotic mural across the top, and a restaurant with buffet (for about 370 руб) and gym. 2210 руб.
|Routes through Kirov|
|Moscow ← Nizhny Novgorod ←||W E||→ Perm → Yekaterinburg|