Kissimmee is a city in Osceola County. Kissimmee (pronounced /kiˈsimi/, accent on second syllable) is a popular Central Florida tourist destination because of its sunny weather, spring training baseball for major league clubs, and close proximity to Disney World.
Just south of Orlando in what is commonly referred to as the "Kissimmee-St. Cloud" area, due to the short distance between it and the adjacent city of St. Cloud. It is centered directly between St. Cloud and Disney World on Highway 192 and leads into SR-535, which leads directly into Disney World theme parks. Most tourist activity is centered around Highway 192 (also known as Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and Vine Street in the city of Kissimmee). Since the opening of Disney World in 1971, Kissimmee has been primarily a tourist-driven town. Before that the town relied on agriculture and ranching, with a population of just over 4,000 through the 1950s.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA), your entry point for most international and domestic flights. It is about a 25-minute drive down I-4 from Kissimmee. Be aware that airport security lines can become extremely long (1 hour), especially during the summer tourist season and near holidays. Combined with long check-in lines, it is advisable to arrive 2-3 hours before your scheduled departure.
- 1 Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM IATA). The closest general aviation facility to Walt Disney World, Sea World, Universal Orlando, the Orlando-Orange County Convention Center. Used primarily for private business jets or small commercial aircraft.
Most visitors arrive on the Florida Turnpike by taking exit 242 (going north) or exit 249 (coming south). The turnpike uses automated toll collection booths on many exits that require exact change, so be sure to have a pocketful of quarters with you when driving.
Kissimmee is served by two daily Amtrak trains, the Silver Star and Silver Meteor. Both run between New York City and Miami, taking slightly different routes. Also the Silver Star makes a detour to serve Tampa, adding two extra hours for southbound services. 2 Kissimmee station is in downtown at 111 E Dakin Ave.
Interstate 4 is the most preferred route, and carries a driver toward Tampa going west and downtown Orlando and Daytona Beach going east. The road can get very congested at times. The Osceola Parkway is a toll road that runs parallel to 192.
The primary surface highway in Kissimmee is US 192, running west to east through the area. From Hoagland Blvd. (near the city's municipal airport) to the west, it features large purple "mile marker" towers which serve as reference points through their tourist area. (The main entrance to Walt Disney World is at mile marker 7.)
- 1 Old Town (by mile marker 8 on Hwy 192), 5770 West Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, ☏ . Daily 10AM-11PM. Restaurants 11AM-11PM. They have a classic car show on the weekends, lots of shops and a couple restaurants, and a free Ferris wheel (if you find the coupon in one of the many coupon books) as well as other rides (including a giant human sling shot). Coupon books found in all hotels, Denny's, Pancake House.
- 2 Osceola Heritage Park, 1875 Silver Spur Ln, ☏ . Events and recreation complex that includes Osceola County Stadium, Silver Spurs Arena, and other facilities.
- 3 Osceola County Stadium, ☏ . Home of the Gulf Coast League Astros, a Rookie-level affiliate of the Houston Astros.
- Silver Spurs Arena is a multipurpose events arena which hosts shows ranging from rock concerts to competitive rodeos. The annual Silver Spurs Rodeo is hosted here every year in late February.
- Osceola County Historical Society, 750 N Bass Rd, ☏ . Th-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1PM-4PM. Historical village and museum of Kissimmee, with authentic buildings such as a cracker house and horse stables. $5.
- 1 ESPN Wide World of Sports.
- 2 Boggy Creek Airboat & Swamp Buggy Rides, 2001 E Southport Rd, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Naturalists often refer to Boggy Creek wetlands as, 'The Central Florida Everglades'. Take one of these airboat or swamp buggy rides for an up-close look at exotic birds, turtles. 9AM-5:30PM daily.
- Lake Tohopekaliga - Known locally as "Lake Toho," it is the largest lake in Osceola County, and is renowned for some of the best bass fishing in the state.
- 3 Shingle Creek Regional Park (Steffee Landing), 4265 W Vine St (7 mi E of I-4 on US 192 (exit 64A), on US 192 on right side near marker 15), ☏ . Oct-Mar: 8AM-5PM, Apr-Sep: 8AM-7PM. A nature park that encompasses 1,033 acres of natural Florida along the banks of beautiful Shingle Creek-Headwaters to the Everglades. The park features hiking/canoeing trails, picnicking and play areas placed amongst the remnants of the historic Shingle Creek community's pioneer homes and farms.
- Babb Landing, 2491 Babb Rd (7 mi E of I-4 on US 192 (exit 64A); turn left on Old Vineland Rd, right on Babb Rd). Park entrance at the termination point of some of the hiking and canoeing trails.
- Art In Motion LLC Custom Motorcycles, 14 W Neptune Rd, ☏ , email@example.com. Here you can see custom motorcycles being built. At their .6 acre facility, you can visit a working motorcycle shop with 100% custom motorcycles, motorcycle customizing, a full parts counter and gifts. The "three-wheeler" restroom offers a "magic spot" where if you park your vehicle in the right place out front, you can see it projected upside-down on the silver wall inside. Also offers a "build your own bike while on vacation" service for people with the inclination to build a motorcycle but not enough time or knowledge to do this on their own.
- 4 Fun Spot America-Kissimmee, 2850 Florida Plaza Blvd. (on Hwy 192 near Celebration & Disney), ☏ . 10AM-midnight. Small amusement park with rollercoasters, go-karts and thrill rides.
- 1 The Loop. Large shopping center, opened in 2007, with a wide variety of anchor stores, restaurants, and specialty retailers, including a movie theater.
- Disney Springs (2 minutes off of 192; N on 535) in Lake Buena Vista offers a wide range of specialty stores.
- 1 Capone's Dinner and Show (Capone's), 4740 W Hwy 192 (4.5 mi E of I-4 on US 192, between Everglades Cir and Lake Cecile Dr), toll-free: . Gangster themed dinner show featuring period costumes and comedy.
- 2 Fat Boys' Bar-B-Q, 1606 W Vine St (less than a minute W of US 17, on US 192 between N Palm Ave and N Emory Ave), ☏ . Traditional, quality Bar-BQ. A local favorite. $6-8.
- Medieval Times, 4510 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, toll-free: . Dinner show with medieval reenactments including horseback jousting, all set in a huge castle. $58.95.
- 3 Boston Lobster Feast, 6071 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy. (US 192) (north side of US 192, just west of Hwy. 417), ☏ . M-F 4-10PM, Sa Su 2-10PM. An all-you-can-eat place that has a fairly large variety of seafood, desserts, salads. A location of this eatery is on International Drive, in Orlando.
- 4 3 Sisters Speakeasy, 226 Broadway Ave (on the corner of Broadway and E Dakin Ave, on US 441 headed S), ☏ . What started out as a historical speakeasy from the Prohibition Era has found its place in Downtown Kissimmee as a hip eatery serving eclectic American fare. Hosts Trivia Night Tuesdays, live music four nights per week, and other special events. $11-22.
- 5 Paul's Italian Deli and Restaurant (Paul's Deli), 812 E Vine St (on US 192 between N Carson Ave and E Magnolia St), ☏ . Authentic Italian deli serving customizable subs and related lunch specials. Small seating area often fills up on busy days. Closed Sundays. Under $10.
The local tap water supply is rumored to correlate to increased cancer rates.
- 1 Breeze, 7 E Dakin Ave, ☏ . Offers a large selection of whiskey as well as craft beers. DJs and live music during weekends.
- 2 The Fox & Hounds Public House, 3514 W Vine St, ☏ . Authentic British pub with great atmosphere.
- 3 Vintage Vino, 14 E Dakin Ave, ☏ . Small wine bar that also serves craft beers and excellent cheeses.
There are a vast number of lodging options around the parks, with quality varying greatly. In general lodging prices decrease the further away from Disney World you travel. Families and groups planning multi-day stays may also want to consider short-term rentals, vacation homes, or timeshares in the Disney-area; in general these may offer a better value when multiple rooms are needed for a 3 nights or more. At the last count, there were over 15,000 such vacation rentals in Kissimmee alone, offering approximately 60,000 bedrooms, sleeping 120,000 guests each night.
- The Grand Orlando Resort at Celebration, 2900 Parkway Blvd, ☏ . A 718-room resort on 20 acres of tropically landscaped groups and is just 1.5 miles from Walt Disney World. 3 pools, cascading waterfalls, 2 whirlpools and a 40' water slide. Extensive on site Kids Activities program. $46.
- Ramada by Wyndham Kissimmee Gateway, 7470 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . A designated "Walt Disney World Good Neighbor" hotel. Restaurant on-site, fitness center, discount tickets on website, 2 pools, meeting space and free shuttle to Walt Disney World. $46.
- Red Lion Hotel Orlando Lake Buena Vista South, 5150 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, ☏ . Has an outdoor pool with slides and a lazy river. $61.
- Travelodge Suites by Wyndham Kissimmee Orange, 5399 West Irlo Bronson, ☏ . Smallish pool and arcade. $36.
- Celebration Suites, 5820 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . 1 mi from Disney Parks. Apartment style suites with full kitchens, dining area and living room with murphy bed. 1-bedroom suite-sleeps 6, 2-bedroom suite-sleeps 10, free shuttle to parks, full eat-in kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, full sized refrigerator & coffee maker, spacious dining & living rooms, each room has 2 TV's & private balcony or patio, free cable TV & HBO, 2 large heated swimming pools, coin laundry on site, game room, and outdoor grill/picnic. Walking distance to 18 restaurants; clubs/bars; Property is next door to Old Town Entertainment and amusement center. $143.
- Galleria Palms, 3000 Maingate Ln, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. $101.
- Staybridge Suites Orlando Royale Parc Suites, 5876 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . One- and two-bedroom suites that can sleep up to 10 people with kitchenettes, decorated in a French Quarter motif. Amenities include pools and sundeck, game room, fitness and business centre. Free breakfast buffet, nightly managers reception and wireless internet. One mile from the gates of Walt Disney World Resort, with free scheduled shuttle to major theme parks. $113.
- Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2775 Florida Plaza Blvd, ☏ . All-suite rooms with free Internet access, deluxe Continental breakfast, and scheduled shuttle service to major theme parks. Outdoor pool open 24 hours a day. $101.
- Cypress Cove Nudist Resort, 4425 Pleasant Hill Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . Nude resort offering villas and camper amenities. without membership $179 studio/$59 camping.
- The Berkley, Orlando, 8545 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, ☏ . All suites come complete with the luxury features you would expect at a high end resort. Beyond the attended entrance, a luxurious lakeside suite in a truly majestic realm to call your very own. $127.
- Secrets Hideaway Resort & Spa / Club Secret, 2145 E Irlo Bronson Memorial, toll-free: . Adults only place.
- Westgate Towers Resort, 7600 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . One mile from the gates of Walt Disney World Resort, has a restaurant on-site, pools, a gym and interior corridor rooms. $86.
- Westgate Resort, 2770 N Old Lake Wilson Rd, toll-free: . Studios, 2-, 3-, 4-bedroom villas with full kitchens, washer/dryers and whirlpool tubs. Amenities include movie theater, kids club, mini golf, tennis, marina, pools and hot tubs. $118.
- 1 Kapp and Kappy B&B (Autrey House), 21 N Clyde Ave (on the corner of N. Clyde & Verona Ave, one block N of Emmett St in S. Beaumont Historic District), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 5PM, check-out: 9AM. content Built in 1913 and completely renovated in 2016, the house combines all the charm of a century-old home with modern amenities and a funky elegant decor. All of the guest rooms in the original Autrey house require walking up a single flight of stairs, since they are located on the second floor. Each has en-suite bathroom with shower, Keurig coffee maker, mini-refrigerator, flat-screen TV and a sitting area. There is free Wi-Fi throughout the residence. $121.
- Silver Lake Resort, 7751 Black Lake Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . A beautiful resort offering 1- and 2-bedroom condos with amenities including a clubhouse, 3 pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, a movie theater, a fitness center, cabana bar, simulated golf, game room, Internet access, fully equipped kitchen, flat screen TVs and Jacuzzi tubs, and is located next door to the Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom. $264.
- 2 Gaylord Palms Resort & Spa, 6000 W Osceola Pkwy, ☏ . Five minutes from Walt Disney World, this resort includes a 4.5-acre glass-covered atrium that celebrates the entire state of Florida and contains trees and a stream. Features restaurants, La Petite Academy Kids Station, Canyon Ranch SpaClub, shops and live animal displays. Good sized rooms. $499.
- Runaway Beach Club, 3000 Bonfire Beach Dr, ☏ , toll-free: . Runaway Beach Club is a family resort where you can choose a 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom suite with Key West cottage-style furnishings. ~$350.
Kissimmee and the whole Orlando area requires the area code to be dialed, even when calling a local number.
- Disney World is minutes away, just north.
- Orlando hosts Sea World and Universal Studios, 10 miles north on the Florida Turnpike.
|Routes through Kissimmee|
|Savannah ← Orlando ←||N S||→ Winter Haven → Miami|
|Savannah ← Orlando ←||N S||→ Lakeland → Tampa|
|Tampa ← Lake Buena Vista ←||W E||→ Orlando → Daytona Beach|
|Wildwood ← Orlando ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Fort Pierce → West Palm Beach|
|Punta Gorda/Tampa ← Davenport ←||S/W N/E||→ Orlando → Jacksonville/Daytona Beach|