The Southern fringes of Kolkata are in Southeast Bengal.
The rapidly mushrooming neighbourhoods to the south of the city include Tollygunge, Behala, Joka, Pailan, Jadavpur, Garia and Narendrapur. New areas are being continuously developed and added to the city. Traditionally a part of the South 24 Parganas district the area now forms part of the added on areas of Kolkata. Kolkata is a British-built city, but the southern fringes were left by the British as virtually a big semi-urban slum area soon teeming with millions of refugees from East Pakistan. The transformation to a modern city has been spectacular - with slums here and there, a reminder of the harrowing post partition days. Most of the refugee colonies now sport a brighter look.
Large number of bus routes from other parts of Kolkata and outside Kolkata ply into this area. AC buses have also started plying as for example from Sulekha to Rajarhat and from Tollygunge to airport.
Some of the important bus stands / stops are:
- Ajaynagar Morh bus stop. There are many long distance buses from places like Baruipur and Sonarpur in the south to places like Airport, Barasat and Dakhineswar which avoid he city crowds and travel via EM Bypass. This is the bus stop from where people of Santoshpur and the surrounding areas can board such buses. Mukundapur is nearby. It has many hospitals and many budget guest houses and hotels have sprung up.
- Avisikta Morh bus stop. It is at the meeting point of the Prince Anwar Shah Road Connector and EM By Pass, near Kalikapur and Anandapur crossings. There is a Spencer's outlet nearby.
- Bagha Jatin Morh bus stop. Auto link to Rani Kuthi
- Behala Chowrasta bus stop.
- Behala Manton bus stop.
- Behala Parnasree Pally bus stand.
- Garia No.5 bus stand (lotus cinema). Garia has three bus stands. This depot handles buses coming along Raja SC Mullick Road. The second bus depot handles buses coming along NSC Bose Road. There is a bus stand near Padmashri cinema hall, handling 45, 45A and 45B. The Garia-Gol Park autos leave from opposite No. 5 Bus Stand.
- Garia No. 6 bus stand. This bus depot handles buses coming along NSC Bose Road. Buses travelling south of Garia are handled by either No. 5 or No. 6 depot depending on the direction they are coming from. Autos on the Garia-Tollyguge route leave from near this bus stand. There also are autos for Boral.
- Golf Green bus stand, 18/3 Uday Shankar Sarani. Bus terminus for 234, 234/1,17A, 223, AC 43 (Golf Green- Airport via sector 5 & New Town) AC9A (Golf Green-Dakhineswar) and Golf Green-Howrah mini. Auto link to Lake Garden/ Lords Morh.
- Jadavpur 8B bus stand. It is terminus for S9, E1, AC1, AC 9, S19, S31, S8B & AC 9B buses and Jadavpur-Airport and Jadavpur-Purbachal (via Diamond Harbour Road) minis. Auto to Nayabad, Rani Kuthi, Tollygunge Metro and Taratala (bit infrequent). Garia-Golpark auto passes through.
- Jadavpur Thana More bus stop. Important crossing point. Terminus for 240 (Jodhpur Park-Baghbazar). Many buses and minis travelling south for Jadavpur, Santoshpur and Garia pass through here. Anwar Shah Road-Nimtala minibus passes through here. All Golf Green buses pass through here.Auto routes: Garia-Gol Park, Jadabpur-Taratala.
- Joka Tram Depot bus stand.
- KamalGazi More bus stand. narendrapur
- RaniKuthi bus stop. Buses, minibuses, autos plying along NSC Bose Road between Tollygunge and Garia pass through here. Auto links to Jadavpur 8B and Bagha Jatin Morh.
- Santoshpur Jora Bridge bus stop. Buses may available to some important places, such as- Howrah, Burrabazar, Ultadanga, Sealdah, College Street, Airport, Birati, Kalighat, Behala, Park street, Esplanade, Chadni chowk, B.B.D bag, tea board, new town, sector 5, Karunamoyee, Beleghata, Saltlake, Santragachi, vidyasagar setu, pts, alipore zoo, park circus & nabanna. Except Dakhineshar & Belur math. Some important bus services- 1A Mukundapur-Ramnagar (via Santoshpur, alipore zoo, kalighat, Khiddirpore). 1B Nayabad(Garia stn.)- Ramnagar( via santoshpur, Golpark, New Alipore). S9/AC9 Jadavpur- Saltlake, Karunamoyee(via santoshpur, E.M. Byepass, Bikasbhawan, Central Park). MW-1(ac) Jadavpur(sulekha)- unitech(via Santoshpur, E.M. Byepass, Niccopark, Sec5, New Town). S4B haridevpur-newtown(via Tollgunge, Ranikuthi, Baghajatin, Santoshpur, E.M. Byepass, Sec5) S5C(Old C5) nayabad(garia stn)-howrah station(via santoshpur , kalighat) SD16 Mukundapur-serakole(via santoshpur, amtala, behala). AC37B Airport Gate No.1 – Garia 5 Bus Stand (AC)(santoshpur, E.M.Byepass). M2 tollygunje- birati (via santoshpur, airport) tollygunge -ultadanga / airport shuttle(via santoshpur), AC 9B Jadavpur- Ecospace ( via santoshpur,sector 5,new town, unitech),206 new garia metro- saltlake(via santoshpur,esplanade, tea board, chudney chowk, college street, ultadanga, sealdah) 45(white bus) garia station- kadamtala( via santoshpur, santragachi,domjur,icchapore,vidyasagar setu,pts, nabanna). santoshpur bbd bag mini (via santoshpur,park street)
- Taratala Morh bus stop.
- Tollygunge Phanri bus stop. All buses and minibuses travelling south to Tollygunge Metro and beyond pass through here. Auto link:Tollyguge-Hazra Morh.
The Sealdah-Canning, Sealdah-Lakshmikantapur-Namkhana, Sealdah-Diamond Harbour and Sealdah-Budge Budge lines of Eastern Railway pass through this area. Beware of the work hour rush. Cycle rickshaws are available at all stations for local travel.
The railway stations serving this area are:
- Akra railway station.
- Bagha Jatin railway station.
- Brace Bridge railway station.
- Budge Budge railway station.
- Garia railway station. bus 1b.s5c,45(white bus),garia stn-howrah stn,garia stn-bbdbag, garia stn-newtown,37a available.
- Jadavpur railway station. auto services available for garfa,haltu & santoshpur & jadavpur 8b & sulekha. sd4,1,212 buses available from jadavpur railway station area near palbajar.
- Narendrapur railway station.
- New Garia railway station. changeover for kavi subhas metro. bus 1b,206, 45(white bus@ kadamtala), garia stn-howrah stn, garia stn- kolkata stn,37a( nayabad-howrah),s5c(nayabad-howrah) available.
- Nungi railway station.
- Santoshpur railway station.
- Sonarpur railway station.
The Dum Dum-Kavi Subhash (New Garia) metro cuts across this area. Except for Mahanayak Uttam Kumar and Kavi Subhas, which have stations at ground level, the entire track in the area is elevated. The Mahanayak Uttam Kumar-Dum Dum track, beyond the area, is underground. New metro lines are being constructed from Kavi Subhas to Airport and Joka to Benoy-Badal-Dinesh Bagh. Progress is tardy at many places because of illegal occupation of railway land.
The metro stations serving this area are:
- Gitanjali metro station (Naktala).
- Kavi Nazrul metro station (Garia Bazar).
- Kavi Subhash metro station. Change over for New Garia station on the Sealdah-Sonarpur section. the station is about 10 mins way by bus/auto from santoshpur jora bridge area.
- Mahanayak Uttam Kumar metro station (Tollygunge).
- Masterda Surya Sen metro station (Bansdroni).
- Netaji metro station (Kudghat).
- Shahid Kshudiram metro station.
Point to point autorickshaws are available for slightly longer routes. Cycle rickshaws are available everywhere.
- Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science. It was founded in 1876 by Dr Mahendra Lal Sircar and is the oldest research institute in India. Sir C. V. Raman worked here during 1907 to 1933 on various topics of physics making discovery of the celebrated effect on scattering of light in 1928, which bears his name and that brought many accolades including the Nobel Prize.
- The Indian Institute of Management, Joka. Established in 1961 it is a fully autonomous institution and offers several Post Graduate Diploma and Fellowship programmes in Management.
- Jadavpur University. It was established by the National Council of Education in 1905, with the objective of challenging the British grip over education by offering education to the masses 'on national lines and under national control'. It was given the status of a university in 1955.
- Kolkata Doordarshan Kendra, Golf Green.
- Royal Calcutta Golf Club. The oldest golf club in India, established in 1829. Exclusively for members and guests.
- Tollygunge Club. Exclusively for members and their guests. This club, founded in 1895, spread over a hundred acre campus, is acknowledged as one of top clubs in the world. It offers facilities for golf, tennis, squash, indoor and outdoor swimming, riding and amateur equestrian sports
- Durga Puja of the Sabarna Roy Choudhury family (At Barisha, south-west of Behala / Sakher Bazar). The three villages of Sutanuti, Govindapur and Kalikata were part of a khas mahal or imperial jagir or an estate belonging to the Mughal emperor himself, whose jagirdari rights were held by the Sabarna Roy Choudhury family. On November 10, 1698, they transferred, by lease, their rights over the three villages – Sutanuti, Kalikata and Gobindapur - to the East India Company. The pillars of the cutchery (land rent collection office) where East India Company’s Charles Eyre, son-in-law of Job Charnock, was handed over the right to collect rent in three villages still stand. The family has been celebrating Durga Puja since 1610 in their ancestral home at Barisha. It is possibly the oldest organised festival in the Kolkata region.
- Gurusaday Museum, is in 3A Bus stand Thakurpukur / Joka on Diamond Harbour Road..
- Tipu SultanShahi Masjid (At the crossing of Deshaparan Sashmal Road and Anwar Shah Road). The Tipu Sultan Mosque was built at Dharmatala in 1832 by Prince Ghulam Mohammed, the youngest son of Tipu Sultan. An identical mosque built later by the Waqf Committee at Tollygunge. It is called Tipu Sultan Shahi Masjid.
- Tollygunge film industry (Centred around Tollygunge). From an early beginning in the silent era in 1919 to the talking era in the 1930s to the golden days of 1950s to 1970s has been a chequered history. It has seen such greats as Satyajit Ray, Bimal Roy, Rittwick Ghatak and Mrinal Sen. Tollygunge produces about 70 films annually.
- State Archeological Museum (Beside Behala tram depot.). The museum has a wide collection of antiques from the bronze age and various artefacts collected from excavations across West Bengal.
- Fame - South City (Watch films).
- Jadavpur Stadium (Watch sporting activities). Officially named Kishore Bharati Krirangan, but more popular as Jadavpur Stadium, it is a 13-acre sports complex. It has a stadium that can accommodate 12,000 spectators and hosts lower division matches of the Kolkata Football League. It has a swimming pool with training facilities for children. now the stadium may under the supervision of kmda & survey park police station( as per the jurisdiction of kolkata police). kasba traffic guard & east jadavpur traffic guard office locates.
- South City Mall, 375 Prince Anwar Shah Rd. Car parking available @ Rs. 25 per hour.
- For Hiland Park Metropolis Mall see Kolkata/East
- Big Bazaar, THE METROPOLIS, 6 HILAND PARK, 1925 CHAKGARIA, NEAR PEERLESS HOSPITAL, Kolkata, West Bengal 700094. the metropolis, 6 hiland park, 1925 chakgaria, near peerless hospital, kolkata, west bengal 700094. 033 2436 4148/033 2436 4148
South City Mall
It has a food court on the third floor with a number of restaurants. Most of the restaurants have bars. The restaurants are splurge/mid-range. Apart from restaurants at the edges there is a big open space in the middle with seating arrangements. This area is served by KFC and other outlets serving food ranging from South Indian to Kababs. The open space food outlets are comparatively less costly. Spencer's also have a food zone within their outlet in the basement.
- Benjarong, Shop No. 308, 3rd Floor, ☎ . Thai food
- Flame & Grill, Shop No. 310, 3rd Floor, ☎ . Variety of Kababs served hot
- Hiland Park Metropolis Mall. It has a ten outlet eatery.
- KFC, ☎ .
- Mainland China Restaurant, Shop No. 313, 3rd Floor, ☎ . Innovative Chinese food.
- Pizza Hut, 3rd Floor, ☎ .
- Sarson, ☎ .
- Subway, Shop no. 306, 3rd Floor, ☎ .
- Zara The Tapas Bar and Restaurant, Shop No. 309, 3rd Floor, ☎ . Mediterranean food
- Darbar Restaurant, 371/1 (48) Diamond Harbour Rd (Next to Ashoka Cinema Hall), ☎ .
- Haji Saheb, 474 Diamond Harbour Rd (Near Behala Tram Depot), ☎ .
- Jadu Kadai, 743 Diamond Harbour Rd (Near Behala Chowrasta), ☎ .
- New Punjabi Hotel & Restaurant, 394 Diamond Harbour Rd (Near Behala Tram Depot), ☎ .
- Panna's Kitchen, 54 N, Diamond Harbour Rd, ☎ .
- 6 Ballyganj Place, 20/4 Souren Roy Road, Behala AC Market, First Floor, ☎ .
- Hatari, James Long Sarani.
- Kolkata 34, James long Sarani.
- D's Cafe, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Kalitala, ☎ .
- Dakshinayan Restaurant, 3A Bus Stop, ☎ . , 9831738083
- Herbs & Spices, Gennex Valley, Diamond Park, ☎ .
- Aaoji Khaoji, Shop No. 8, Tollygunge Metro, ☎ .
- Venus Restaurant, 3/19 Haripada Dutta Ln, ☎ .
- Bawarchi (Beside 8B bus stand), ☎ . Branch at Bagha Jatin
- Bhooter Raja Dilobar, A-25 CIT Market, Central Rd (Next to Indian Coffee House), ☎ .
- Calcutta Bistro, Sukanta Setu Morh, ☎ .
- Golden Gate, 100 Raja SC Mullick Rd, ☎ . , 24721113Chinese, North Indian, Bengali food
- Indian Coffee House, CIT Market, Central Rd, ☎ .
- Open Sesame, 1050/1, Survey Park Unnayan, Bengal Ambuja Complex, ☎ .
- Raajbarir Khawa, B/171 Survey Park (Near Kidzee School), ☎ .
- Shiraz Golden Restaurant, C279, Ajay Nagar, Survey Park, ☎ .
- Anish Restaurant, 2/92 NSC Bose Rd (Opposite Allahabad Bank), ☎ .
- Brar's Punjabi Hotel, Garia Main Rd, ☎ .
- Dishes, P-2A, Kanungo Park (Opposite Padmashree Cinema), ☎ .
- Ishan South Indian Delite Restaurant, 87 Baroda Ave (Near State Bank of India), ☎ .
- Raj Restaurant, 124C, Raja SC Muliick Rd (Near No. 5 bus stand), ☎ .
- Amit Das F.L. Off Shop, SANTOSHPUR JORABRIDGE. LIQUOR SHOP.
- Gossip, 1050/1 Unnayan Commercial Complex, UNS 77, Survey Park, Santoshpur, ☎ .
- Palki, 110 Baroda Avenue Extension, Patuli (Near 45 Bus Stand), ☎ .
- Spoonz Rooftop Restaurant, 140-22A, NSC Bose Road, Tollygunge (Near Malancha Cinema), ☎ .
- Trouble Bay, Survey Park, Ajay Nagar Morh, Santoshpur, ☎ .
- EASTERN VIEW HOTEL, 185/9 Santoshpur Ave (Nr Jora Bridge), ☎ . Check-out: 12 noon. 1 star with six rooms. Amenities include cable TV. Government approved.
- Hotel Artland, Pailan, Joka.
- Hotel East Palace, Bishnupur, ☎ . , 2497 9007 , 9230613727
- New Punjabi Hotel & Restaurant, 394 Diamond Harbour Rd (Near Behala Tram Depot), ☎ .