Kommetjie is on the west coast of the Cape Peninsula, south-west of Noordhoek and north of Scarborough. The area is a popular spot for surfing, since powerful waves from the Atlantic Ocean rise up over rocky reefs formed by hard sandstones of the Table Mountain Group. Wherever the bottom is rocky, the shallower waters are thick with giant kelp forests.
Kommetjie is Afrikaans for "small basin," approximately pronounced cawma-key.
Kommetjie is famous for its excellent crayfishing although changes in fishing quotas which have drastically reduced the daily catch allowed. The southwesterly swell produces attractive waves for surfing on the local coastal reefs, and the area is popular for fishing as there is a beach launching area for small craft. It is a quiet and relaxing town suitable for camping and getaways. Not far from Kommetjie, along Long Beach near Noordhoek, lies The Kakapo shipwreck, which ran aground in 1900.
From the airport follow the N2 south-west towards Cape Town. Turn on to the M3 south and follow it to the end. Turn right onto Steenberg Road (M42) and then left onto Ou Kaapse Weg (M64). Follow the road over the mountain for about 11 km. At the second traffic light turn right into Kommetjie Road (M65) and follow this road for about 7 km.
From Hout Bay follow Chapman's Peak Drive (M6) onto Ou Kaapse Weg (M64) then use the directions as outlined above.
Slangkop Lighthouse has been operating since March 1919. It stands about 33 metres tall on the beach.
- Long Beach is a surfers' paradise, with huge waves.
- You can walk all the way on the beach from Kommetjie north to Noordhoek. Along the way you'll come across the rusted wreck of the Kakapo, shipwrecked in May 1900.
- The Cape Town Cycle Tour passes each year through this small town.
- Blue Water Cafe, Imhoff Farm, Kommetjie Road, ☏ , info@blueWaterCafe.co.za. Breakfast, lunch, dinner or tea/coffee.
- Compass Bakery, Fish Eagle Park, Kommetjie Road, ☏ . Delicious bread, biscuits and pastries.
- Espresso.kom, Erica Road, ☏ . Excellent coffee and fresh pastries. Open 7 days a week from 8AM and for dinner Tuesday to Saturday evenings. Specials include gourmet burgers, seafood and curry evening. Specialising in Thai dishes.
- Fisherman's Pub, cnr Somerset and Kommetjie Roads, ☏ .
- Just Foods, Erica Road, ☏ .
- The Farmers Den, Imhoff Farm, Kommetjie Road, ☏ . Farm-style meals.
- The Pickled Fish, Imhoff Farm, Kommetjie Road, ☏ . Seafood.
- [formerly dead link] Glen Cottage, 22 Riverside Drive, ☏ , drattle@telkomSA.net. Self-catering for up to 6 people. From R650 to R1350 for the cottage per night.
- Sunset Beach Guest Lodge, 73 Wireless Road, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Great location overlooking the beach. From R400 per person.
- Backpackers@Inchkom, 13 Nerina Avenue, e-mail: Bainwaves@telkomsa.net. Nice self-catering ensuite room 30 metres from the ocean.