|Blaauwberg Coast |
The coastline region north of Cape Town
|Atlantic Seaboard |
The coastline region south of Cape Town
|False Bay |
The south & eastern side of the peninsula and the coast up to Gordon's Bay
- 1 Cape Town — South Africa's "Mother City", on the slopes of Table Mountain, is known for its relaxed and leisurely atmosphere. It has lots of museums, art galleries, cafes, and trendy neighbourhoods
- 1 Table Mountain National Park — a 221-km² park that includes the Cape of Good Hope, the most southwestern extremity of Africa
- 2 Robben Island — a museum and UNESCO World Heritage Site that was used as a prison, primarily to house those opposed to the Apartheid government, notably Nelson Mandela
The primary languages are English and Afrikaans, varying from suburb to suburb, although both will be understood in most areas. German and French are available in some tourist-oriented stores, and will usually have a sign to this effect on the street front.
Train service is only available between Simon's Town and Cape Town and won't bring you to the Cape of Good Hope, so the best option is a car. Another option is one of the tours offered everywhere in Cape Town.
- Take the roads from Cape Town southward, passing Simon's Town and the Boulders to go to the Cape of Good Hope. You will always be on the peninsula, when you are south from Table Mountain.
- The Table Mountain National Park offers visitors some indigenous vegetation and stunning views at Cape Point.
- CABS Car Hire, 14 Montreal Drive, Airport Industria (1 km from Cape Town International Airport), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Always open.
- Avis, Cape Town International Airport, ☏ . Always open.
- Tempest Car Hire, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Always open.
- Hertz, Cape Town International Airport, ☏ . Always open.
- Thrifty, Cape Town International Airport, ☏ . Always open.
- Penny K's economical car hire, 24 Van Ryneveld Rd, Devilspeak, ☏ .
- Travel Cape Car Hire, 20 Middel Street, Bellville, Cape Town, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-17:00.
- Classic Car Hire, 24 Eden Road, Claremont, Cape Town 7708, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 08:00-17:00.
You can't pay for petrol or diesel with a credit card, only with cash or a South African bank issued 'Garage' card.
- Drive the scenic drives along the east and west coast of the Peninsula. Chapman's Peak Drive is one of the most spectacular coastal roads in the world. It begins in Hout Bay on the west coast of the peninsula and ends 9 km later in Noordhoek. It is a toll road.
- Visit the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point in the Table Mountain National Park.
- Take a look at the penguins at Boulders Beach.
- Climb Table Mountain, starting from Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden. Admire the incredible diversity of plants of the Cape Region Floristic Province, the world's richest.
- Swim, surf and paddleski in the warm water and safe beaches at Muizenberg, Fish Hoek and Simon's Town on the east coast of the peninsula.
- Walk for miles along the beaches of Hout Bay, Noordhoek and Kommetjie on the west coast of the peninsula. The water on this side is very cold, so you'll need a wetsuit if you want to surf.
- Suntan and people-watch on the trendy beaches of Camps Bay, Clifton and Llandudno.
- Visit Victoria & Alfred Waterfront
Several cafes and restaurants line the beach in Simon's Town and the other villages of the Cape Peninsula. Prominent among these is Kalk Bay with several famous eating houses, including various levels of fine fish restaurants in the famous picturesque fishing harbour.
The famous Stellenbosch wine route is about 45 minutes away from the Peninsula. But there are several famous wine estates close to Cape Town. These include Groot Constantia, Buitenverwagting, Klein Constantia, Constantia Glen and right down south, in Noordhoek, is Cape Point vineyards.