Kragujevac is a city in Serbia. With the population of 180 000, it is the fourth largest city in Serbia, the industrial center of the country, the main city of the Šumadija region and the administrative centre of Šumadija District. It is situated on the banks of the Lepenica River.
There is no commercial airport in Kragujevac. The closest are located in Belgrade (150 km to the North) and Niš (150 to the South).
- Central bus station (Center of the city is easily reachable from the central bus station in 10 minutes.). This is the most recommendable option when visiting Kragujevac. The drive from Belgrade lasts for 2 hours and tickets can be purchased at Belgrade's bus station for about 10 euros round trip.
- Train station (Железничка станица) (located next to the central bus station.). This mean of transport is, however, not recommendable, as it takes much more than by bus and there is not direct connection from Belgrade, so you would have to change train in Lapovo. Nevertheless, if you are arriving from the south of the country, train might be worth considering.
Located in the center of the country, Kragujevac has good connection to highway E-75, leading to Belgrade and Niš. Parking is not a problem in the city.
- Tourist Information Centre, Dr Zorana Djindjica 11 (located in the strict center), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 8:00-20:00; S 08:00-15:00. You can also schedule city tours there and buy local souvenirs.
City center is quite compact and is best explorable on foot. All the major tourist attractions are within the walking distance, except for the memorial park Šumarice, which lies on the northern border of the city and is preferably reachable by either bus or taxi.
Taxi service is extremely cheap, even in comparison to Belgrade. Expect not to pay more than 4 euros, even for more distant destinations.
Public transport service
Kragujevac owns an extensive and cheap bus network. Tickets can be purchased at driver.
- Šumarice - Memorial park. This park dedicated to the memory of the victims of 21 October's shooting. All tombs in Memorial park are connected to 7 km long circular road. At the entrance of Memorial park, a monumental building of the Museum “21st October” is built in which architecture symbolic of Kragujevac’s tragedy is emphasized.
- The circle of Prince Miloš - cultural-historic complex. , includes buildings that, with their architecture and function, maintain a historic image of the city, from the period when Kragujevac was the capital (1818–1841), until the beginning of 20th century.
- Prince’s arsenal. Arsenal complex comprises factory buildings and workroom that dates back to the end of 19 - beginning of 20 centuries.
- Museum "Stara livnica", Trg Topolivaca 4 (within Prince’s arsenal), ☎ . M-F 09:00 - 14:00. It displays the history of the Kragujevac military factory in 1853 - 1973 years. There is an exhibition of modern weapons as well. Museum itself is located in the former building of the Gun Foundry build in 1882. Free entrance.
- Amidža’s Lodgings. - the only one still preserved building from the complex of Miloš’ court and it is a part of the National museum. It got it’s name after the headmaster of the Prince’s court, Sima Milosavljević-Paštrmac called Amidža (uncle). Amidža’s Lodgings was built in 1818 and it represents Balcan-oriental style. The lodgings served as a dormitory for the young men from Miloš’s escort.
- The building of Grammar School (Gymnasium). - one of the most monumental school buildings built in Serbia in 19th century. It was built in 1887 and then the first grammar school in Serbia, found in 1833, got its building. It was built in academic style. The architect is unknown. During the WW2, on October 21, 1941, German soldiers took many of the school’s students and professors to the execution. One of the classrooms was turned into the Memorial classroom, dedicated to this tragic event.
- Old Church (Stara crkva), (Кнеза Михаила). - built in 1818 by Prince Miloš Obrenović. The church is dedicated to the Descent of The Holy Spirit on Apostles. The first bell from this church rang in 1829. The old church was first bishop’s cathedral and court chapel in liberated Serbia. In the churchyard, almost all important decisions for the Serbian people were proclaimed. The First Serbian Constitution was adopted there in 1835.
- National museum Kragujevac (Prince Mihailo’s Palace (Народни музеј Крагујевац)), Vuka Karadzica (Вука Караџића) 1, ☎ , , fax: +381 34 333312, +381 34 333302, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-15:00, Sa and Su 10:00-14:00. - built in 1860. The building is European with one floor, built after the pattern of Austrian classicism, modest in its dimensions and ornaments. Directory of the National museum and museum’s library are now placed in it.
- Theatre. - Dating back to 1835, this is the first theater in Serbia. It is a one floor building with a pyramidal roof cupola. In front of the building there is a monument to founder Joakim Vujić.
- City’s Market. - built in 1928/29 as the most beautiful market hall in Serbia and one of the first market hall in Europe. It contains style elements of academism and secession.
- City Hall. - built in a typical socialistic architecture, the building might be very interesting to someone used to Western culture.
- Drača Monastery (9 km, near Gornji Milanovac). Beautiful monastery with mice surroundings. It has the Church of Saint Nicholas which was erected in 1734 on the foundation of an older church.
- Divostin Monastery (6 km, in the village of Divostin. If you continue for another 3 km further along the road you can get to Drača Monastery.). One of the most popular monasteries in Sumadija region. Once it was destroyed by Ottomans and then much later in 1974 it was reconstructed again.
- Grnčarica Monastery. Built in 13-14th centuries by a king. Present day buildings are of mid 16th century when they were restored by Peć Patriarchy.
- Big or Upper Park, Kragujevackog oktobra. - the most favorite place for walk of Kragujevac’s citizens of all ages. It was formed in 1898 and on its 110th birthday it was completely renewed. More than 10 hectares of verdure, thick treetops of the 100 years old trees, renewed foot-paths, newly benches make a perfect place for pastime, walk and relaxing. In the center of the park, there is a monument “Wounded soldier”. It is also a good starting point for visiting memorial park Šumarice.
- Eco - park “Ilina voda” (on the right bank of the river. Cross the bridge and go downstream). There are several small lakes and a zoo with about hundred of inhabitants. There is also the biggest 3 m high Easter egg sculpture in Europe, and the second in the world.
- Botanical garden. Plants from Asia, Europe and Balkans grow here. Park is equipped with information boards about trees.
- Lake Bubanj Park (Varoško groblje?) (One km away from the strict city center, the lake is situated at the entrance of the city, from the direction of highway E-75.). - only It is an ideal spot for a pastime or walk by the water. Around the lake, in natural ambiance, the benches are set and there is also a restaurant with beautiful garden.
- Jezero Sports Hall (Hala "Jezero"), (Лепенички булевар). - the venue where basketball, handball and volleyball local team Radnički performs in top divisions.
- Stadium Čika Dača, Kragujevackog oktobra (Near to 'Big or Upper Park'). - the biggest stadium in Kragujevac with a seating capacity for more than 23 000 people, home to the top division football team FK Radnički 1923.
- Aquarium "Kragujevac", Radoja Domanovica No 12, ☎ . Tu-Su 10:00 - 18:00. The first public freshwater aquarium in Serbia with more than 400 species. It is suited in the rooms of the Faculty of Science. In the aquarium you can see the living beings from the Balkans, but also from the tropical areas of Africa, South America, Asia and Australia. Within the Aquarium there is a hatchery where the rare and endangered species are being bred and raised. There is also laboratory for scientific-exploratory work related to hydrobiology and protection of water eco systems.
Shopping areas are concentrated in the central streets Kralja Petra, Kralja Aleksandra and Lola Ribara and shopping malls.
- Roda Centar. A modern shopping mall in Kragujevac.
- Kragujevac Plaza 2012. A large modern shopping mall in Kragujevac with movie theatres, game center, bowling, pool tables, laser tag, rock climbing, target practice with paint ball/archery.
If you are looking for some Serbian specialties, like pljeskavica, ćevapčići or Karadjordjeva šnicla, Kragujevac is with tones of restaurants and fast food bars great choice.
- Labud, Trg vojvode Radomira Putnika. , famous place for fast Serbian barbecue specialties.
- Lepenica, Dragoslava Srejovića 44 (, near the bus and train station.). , arguably the best pljeskavica in town.
- Plavi Bik, Kneza Mihaila (Кнеза Михаила) 84. , the place for Karadjordjeva šnicla.
- McDonalds, Kragujevac Plaza. Yes, we have that. Go to second floor of Kragujevac Plaza for McDonalds.
There are of course restaurants all over Kragujevac.
- Lovac Restaurant, Svetozara Markovića (Светозара Марковића) 17 (- near the city center), ☎ . , very nice ambient and good local food.
- Dvorište Restaurant, Save Kovačevića bb (,- situated by the lake Bubanj), ☎ . the perfect opportunity to enjoy local specialties in a lovely and romantic surroundings.
- Stara Srbija Restaurant, Karađorđeva (Карађорђева) 7 (in the center), ☎ . specialized in local cuisine
- Paligorić Restaurant, Vojvode Putnika (Војводе Путника) 1, ☎ . - also very central and suited for trying out local barbecue specialties.
- Balkan Restaurant, Kralja Aleksandra I (Краља Александра I Карађорђевића) ~94, ☎ . You can try out national specialties and listen to live music.
- Avala, Internacionalnih brigada bb. (Near to Cathedral of Saint Sava ?), ☎ . - if you can really eat a lot of Serbian barbecue specialties and still pay little, this is the place to be.
Kragujevac is a young and cheap city where socialising and parties are always high on the agenda. You can find a lot of pubs and bars in the main street Kralja Aleksandra and center, especially in Lole Ribara street. Many of them are opened until late in the night. Unlike Belgrade, there is no curfew in Kragujevac and the drinks are way less expensive.
Cafes & Bars
- Srce, Kneza Miloša 3, famous for ice-creams.
- Peron, Kralja Petra I bb., popular cafe in the train wagon.
- Caffe "Novak", dr Zorana Đinđića 13, coffeeshop owned by tennis star Novak Djoković.
- Cocktail bar "Buena Vista", Kralja Petra I 46, passage Bezistan, good selection of cocktails.
- Gheto, Kralja Aleksandra I 81, famous night bar with no strict age groups. Opens at midnight, but gets packed usually at 3AM. Domestic and international pop & rock music.
- Nemam Ve De, Kralja Aleksandra I 154, club with foreign rock music.
- Twist, Cetinjska 14, popular place for live music and foreign pop & rock hits.
- Tresor, Kralja Aleksandra I 73, pop music long in the night.
- Akademija, Kralja Aleksandra I 134, a bit older crowd, selection of actual pop hits.
- Rock star, Kralja Aleksandra I 75, nicely designed rock pub, live music and rock hits.
- Casino, Kralja Aleksandra I 71, trendy place for younger generations, pop hits.
- Gotham, Cara Lazara 18, alternative & indie pub.
There are plenty of accommodation opportunities in Kragujevac and getting a hotel room is usually not a problem.
- Hostel Tri 'O, Vojislava Kalanovića 3??, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hostel Nini (Hostel Kragujevac), 89 Kralja Aleksandra I Karađorđevica, ☎ .
- Hotel Zelengora, Branka Radičevića (Бранка Радичевића) 22, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 11 single, 19 double, 2 apartments, 1 lux apartment From US$100.
- Hotel Šumarice, Desankin venac bb (Near to botanical garden (Botanička bašta)?), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel Kragujevac, Kralja Petra I 21, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel Ženeva, Luja Pastera 19, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. From US$85.
- Garni hotel "Royal", Gružanska (Гружанска) 17 (West 1.5km), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel President de luxe, Janka Veselinovića (Јанка Веселиновића) 52 (Mihajla Ivese Street corner), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel Stari grad, Karađorđeva 10, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation Anđelika, Luja Pastera 13 (NW 0.8km), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Accommodation Lama, Beogradska 75 (North 1.5km), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation 118, II srpskog ustanka 41 (Near to Stadium 'Sušica'), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. From US$110.
- B&B "Radović", Gornjomilanovačka 54 (West from Spomen-park Kragujevački oktobar), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation Merkur, Balkanska 44 (North ~1.5 km), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Accommodation WIND MILL, Mirka Jovanovića 25 (North ~1.5km), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kragujevac is generally a very safe city. It is one of the safest Serbian cities overall. Take the usual precautions and common sense (such as don't walk in parks alone at 3AM, don't leave your wallet, camera and mobile unattended) and you will most likely not encounter any crime at all. Do not get into conflict with locals after staying out late in the city, especially if they seem aggressive or drunk. Avoid sport fan groups of local team Radnički (djavoli or devils), they tend to be drunk and aggressive. Being a foreigner will not get you into any trouble, just do not show off, but try to make a local friendship instead.
- Borač - village with beautiful landscape, one interesting destinations in Central Serbia.
- Kraljevo - nice small nearby city which hosts Žiča Monastery.