Kropyvnytskyi (Ukrainian: Кропивницький; formerly: Yelisavetgrad, Kirovohrad) is the administrative center of Kirovohrad Oblast (province, also referred to as Kirovohradschyna) and Kirovohrad Rayon (district). It is an industrial and cultural center of Kirovohrad Oblast. Kropyvnytskyi is located on the Dnieper Upland, on the banks of river Inhul. It is a motorway junction. There is a train station (Znamyanka - Pomoshnaya line) and a civilian airport. Kropyvnytskyi is not famous for its places of interest, but the downtown still bears the remnants of old architecture. Some of the old buildings are renovated and some are still in the process of renovation. The city administration is doing a good job of making Kropyvnytskyi a better place both for locals and tourists. The locals like to call Kropyvnytskyi "a little Paris" due to its resemblance to Paris before the Soviet Union have destroyed the look of the city in the 20th century.
Kropyvnytskyi was founded in 1754 as Yelisavetgrad (usually spelled Elisavetgrad or Elizabethgrad in English language publications). From the middle of 19th century till the beginning of the 20th century, Kropyvnytskyi enjoyed its golden age. The industry was on the increase, the culture flourished. It was there where the first professional Ukrainian theater was opened.
Kropyvnytskyi became the center of Kirovohrad oblast in 1939. The city has a developed social infrastructure and a number of educational and cultural institutions.
Kropyvnytskyi's geographical position has an impact on language. The most common speaking language is Russian and "surzhyk (a mix of Russian and Ukrainian languages). Everyone can speak and understand Ukrainian. The knowledge of English is low, but it won't be a problem in hotels or restaurants where most people can speak decent English.
As of 2016 there are no flights to or from Kropyvnytskyi Airport.
- Kropyvnytskyi train station (Залізничний вокзал Кропивницький). International trains: Chișinău, Prague and Trier pass through Kropyvnytskyi (?). - More international trains to/from Moscow (The other way to get to Kropyvnytskyi from Moscow is a train to Znamyanka. Znamyanka is not far from Kropyvnytskyi and it's possible to get to Kropyvnytskyi via minibuses), Ufa. Domestic trains: Odesa, Dnipro, Kharkiv, Luhansk
- Bus station №1 (Aвтостанция №1), Alexandriyskoye shosse(Александрийское шоссе), 1, ☎ .
- Bus station №2 (Aвтостанция №2), Telnova vulytsia (вул. Тельнова Євгена), 1, ☎ .
- Bus station №3 (Aвтостанция №3), Probrazhenskaya ulitsa (ул. Преображенская 3 а), 1, ☎ .
International buses: Chișinău (two daily)
There are lot of buses from other Ukrainian cities. It's easy to pay for a ticket online. For that purpose it is advised to use special website.
M-13 and M-12 highways go through Kropyvnytskyi. M12 is a state international highway (M-highway) that connects Lviv Oblast to the Central Ukraine, where before crossing Dnieper it continues further as M04. M13 is a state international highway connecting Kropyvnytskyi to the border with Moldova, where before crossing Dniester it heads towards Chişinău as part of E584.
Taxi is the easiest way for a foreigner to get around town. Ukrainian taxi drivers can charge foreigners more than locals, it is a common fact.
Locals use marshrutkas to get around. Marshrutkas are a form of public transportation such as a share taxi for the countries of CIS. They are more expensive than regular buses, but the Hail and Ride system make them the most popular way of getting around the city. Riding in marshrutkas is uncomfortable and confusing for foreigners, so its better to use taxi or regular buses or trolley-buses.
- Fortechni Valy (Фортеця Святої Єлизавети). is considered the oldest preserved Earthen Fortress in Europe. The fortress of Saint Elizabeth (Elizabethan castle) - was the administrative center of the Novoserbskogo settlement (New Serbia and Novoslobodskaya Cossack regiment). Named in honor of the Empress Elizabeth. It had the shape of a regular hexagon, the perimeter (along with external fortifications) is 6 km.
- Svyato-Pokrovska church (Свято-Покровська церква), Frunze str., 14, ☎ . Built on the site wood in 1849 in Russian-Byzantine style by the architect Konstantin Ton. The interior of the church the remains of a mural of the second half of 19th century.
- Church of the Holy Spirit Roman Catholic Church (Костел Святого Духа Римо-католицької церкви), Dvortsova str., 50/46, ☎ .
- Sacred Virgin (Rizdva Presviatoi Bohorodytsi) Cathedral (Кафедральний собор Різдва Пресвятої Богородиці), Velyka Perspektyvna. Founded in 1757. Neoclassical architectural style. There are icons of the 17th century.
- Transfiguration (Spaso-Preobrazhenskyi) cathedral (Спасо-Преображенський собор), Tarkovskoho str., 72, ☎ . Built in 1813, wooden church. Consecrated 1813. One-story building has an elegant portico with four Corinthian columns. Inside the cathedral, relics of saints and the main shrine kirovogradtsev - the icon of the Mother of God "Elisavetgrad, is the patroness and protector of the city.
- Kirovograd regional museum of Local History (Кіровоградський обласний краєзнавчий музей), Dvortsova St, 40. Museum with more than 80,000 items, which reflect the history of the region from ancient times to modern times.
- Jews of Elizavetgrad Historical Museum (Історичний музей Євреї Єлізаветграда), Viktora Chmilenka str., ☎ . Various aspects of the life of Jewish communities reveal thematic stands: "Charity", "Religious Life," "Medicine", "Jewish Education", "Cultural Life," "Industry". +phone=+380 52 2243231
- [dead link] Neugauza Memorial Museum) (Народний музей Г.Нейгауза), Viktora Chmilenka str., 65., ☎ . Henry Gustavovich Neuhaus was - pianist and educator, writer and musical activist.
- Osmerkin Art - Memorial Museum (Музей О.О. Осмеркина), Architekta Pauchenka str., 89., ☎ . Established in 1985.
- Memorial museum of M.L. Kropyvnytskyi (Меморіальний музей М.Л. Кропивницького), Kropivnitskogo str., 172/42, ☎ . In the Marko Lukic Kropyvnytskyi living house. Exposition of the museum consists of several sections that tell about family playwright and actor, about his childhood and education in high school and university, on its way to the arts as the founder of the first professional Ukrainian theater (luminaries). Carefully preserved in a museum relics - documents, photographs, memorabilia, theater posters on the life and work of M. Kropyvnytskyi - who was the reformer of the theater, an actor, director, playwright, composer, singer, educator.
- Museum of Local Lore. A great example of old architecture, it was renovated in 2011.
- Kovalivs'kyi park (near the Theare).
- Dendropark (Дендропарк), Yevhena Telnova 28. There are carousels and attractions and a little zoo with farm animals.
- Park Peremohy (Park Pobedy).
- Cinema Portal, Soborna Str.. A modern cinema with 3D and comfortable seats. In Ukraine all films are dubbed and there are no subtitles, so don't expect to understand anything unless you're familiar with Ukrainian language.
- State Dramatic and Musical Theatre, Dvortsova St, 4 (Near is located a park, a memorial and a hospital). The first Ukrainian professional theatre was renovated in the end of 2012. It looks just like it did when it was first build
- State Philharmonic Hall. If you're interested in classical and modern music.
- Murai Shopping centre (Торгівельний центр Мурай), Velyka Perspektyvna str..
- Children's world Shopping centre (Торгівельний центр Дитячий світ), Velyka Perspektyvna str..
- Plaza Shopping centre (Торговельний центр Плаза), Vul. Tymiriezieva.
- Kopilka (ТРЦ Копилка), 50 rokiv Zhovtnia ave., 11а.
- Lisova pisna Shopping centre (Торгівельний центр Лісова пісня), Preobrazhens'ka str., 55.
- Covered market (Krytyi rynok) (Критий ринок), 50 rokiv Zhovtnia ave., 25..
In general, it is very cheap to dine in Kropyvnytskyi by European or US standards. There is a big number of pizzerias - oddly, locals have more pizzerias than anything else, and any other cuisine is practically ignored. The food is usually tasty and fresh. It is strongly advised to taste the national cuisine. Most famous dishes are borshch, vareniki, draniki (also called deruny).
- Celentano (Челентано) - pizza, italian and mexican cuisine.
- Staryi Gorod or Stare Misto (Старый Город) - pizza and Ukrainian cuisine.
- Mix - sushi bar.
- Sorrento (Сорренто) - an Italian restaurant. Great interior design and atmosphere. The best place to eat in the city. But it is far from the city center.
In the centre there are a lot of cafes with good prices.
- Poltavskyi Market (Ринок Полтавський), Poltavs'ka str., 83.
- Okean Market (Ринок Океан), Malaniuka Yevhena str., 1.
- Bosfor Market (Ринок Босфор), Dzerzhinsko & Zhovtnevoi R. cnr.
- Dobrudzha Market (Ринок Добруджа), Kalinina str., 3.
- Aeropol Hotel (Аерополь готель), Poltavska st, 20/7 (2 km from Kropyvnytskyi Airport, 10 km from central railway station), ☎ , . This hotel features free Wi-Fi and a 24-hour reception. Rooms at the hotel, built in 2010, feature a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. US$47.
- Europa Hotel (Готель "Європа"), Velyka Perspektyvna str., 13/16, ☎ , , . Nine-storey building is located in downtown. 1 - 4-bed rooms equipped with bathrooms with uninterrupted supply of hot and cold water, direct dial international telephone, cable TV. Includes breakfast. Restaurant, billiards, cafe, laundry, shop. US$30-45/50-80 USD 2013.
- Johny Walker Hotel (Частная гостиница "Джонни Вокер"), Mykhailivska, 35, ☎ , . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 10 unique rooms, including rooms category "lux" US$40-140 (2011).
- Hotel Orlinoye Gnezdo, (Subbotsy Village, Shevchenko Street 47) (This hotel is located in Subbotsy village, 30 km from Kropyvnytskyi city.). Featuring an outdoor swimming pool and a summer terrace with sun loungers
- [dead link] Reikartz (London Hotel) (Отель Лондон), Velyka Perspektyvna, 4А, ☎ , . From 50$ (2013).
- Reikartz Kropyvnytskyi Hotel (Бізнес-готель "Reikartz Кропивницький"), Chornovola Str. 1-D, ☎ . The Reikartz Kropyvnytskyi is a business hotel in the central area of the city. The hotel is a five minute walk from the city center, and it takes 7 minutes to get to the bus and railway stations. US$62-78/72-93 (2013).
- Tourist Hotel (Готель Турист), Ushakova str., 1A, ☎ . sgl/dbl US$26-44/34-46-66.
- Cherkasy - 135 km north
- Dnipro - 255 km east
- 1 Khutir Nadia, The Karpenko-Karyi State Museum-Reserve (Хутір Надя) (29 km west of Kropyvnytskyi, near Mykolaivka). A national historic site.
- Kherson - 250 km south, the 'Gate' of Crimea
- Mykolaiv - 190 km south
- Odessa - 330 km southwest. Pearl of Southern Ukraine
- The Strategic Missile Forces museum, located on the border of Kirovohradska and Mykolayivska oblasts. Missiles: SS-24 "Scalpel" silo-based and RS-20 missile (SS-18 "Satan"). Also in the museum you can see samples of rocket engines, auxiliary vehicles, mock nuclear warhead.
- Uman - 165 km west
- Vinnytsya - 320 km west
- Zaporizhia - 300 km east