The area is residential and industrial, and there is not too much to attract the visitor except maybe for major sporting events which are usually held at the Bukit Jalil National Sports Complex, and The Mines theme park which was once the world's deepest opencast tin mine.
This page covers the areas south of the Federal Highway, East-West Link and Jalan Kampung Pandan in Kuala Lumpur, and north of Kajang and Putrajaya. Some of the major suburbs are the areas adjacent to Old Klang Road, Sri Petaling, Bukit Jalil, Serdang/Seri Kembangan, Bandar Tun Razak, Salak South, Cheras and Pandan.
- 1 Go for a swim in National Aquatic Center. Mo-Sa 14:00-16:30,17:00-19:30,20:00-22:30, Fr,Sa,PH 08:00-10:30, Sa,PH 11:00-13:30; Su 08:00-10:30,11:30-14:00,15:00-17:30,18:30-21:00. Olympic size pool. The opening hours are a little weird though. Your ticket is valid for sessions á 2,5 hours. Evening sessions are busier during weekdays. RM 4. Friday free.
- 2 Watch an event at Bukit Jalil National Stadium. This huge stadium with a capacity of 87,411 is used as venue for many sports events and concerts.
Shopping Malls Shopping malls are all around the district. They are intended to cater local residents, so don't expect anything more than hypermarkets, fast food chains and department stores. However, some of the malls like Cheras Leisure Mall or Jusco Cheras Selatan Balakong do have decent cinema.
Night Markets Cheras hosts some of the best pasar malam (night markets) in Kuala Lumpur. Pasar malam in Cheras are available almost every night at different locations, usually rotating every week. Taman Connaught chinese pasar malam is the most popular location and dubbed 'longest chinese pasar malam in KL'. It's held every Wednesday at Taman Connaught, from dusk until midnight.
It is known by locals that the best food in the suburbs is always street food. The best location for street food are of course local chinese night markets, such as the one in Taman Connaught.
- Fast Food Fish Head, 58 Jalan Radin Tengah, Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur.
- New Restaurant Ipoh Chicken Rice, 1 Jalan 13/149L, Bandar Seri Petaling, 57000 Kuala Lumpur, ☏ . Excellent chicken rice, tasty, affordable and in more comfortable atmosphere than Jalan Gasing outlets
- Uncle Liong. Try some cheap and tasty noodle near Taman OUG Wet Market, Uncle Liong which is located inside Restoran Ong Lay, selling Pork Noodle, Spicy Noodle and their Signature Dish-Fish Paste Bitter Gourd Noodle. Other than that there is also a choice lot of Chinese Restaurant around that area. It was located nearby MCA Seputeh Community Center. To go there simply take taxi from Pearl International Hotel, just a 5 minutes ride or take bus number U73 from KL Sentral and take off at Jalan Hujan Emas Open daily from 7am to 1pm
Taman Cheras, one of the suburbs south of the Malaysian capital, is a good place to stay if guests want some time off from the hurried pace of the city. The area, however, still offers easy access to the city centre via the major highways of Jalan Cheras-Seremban, Jalan Cheras, and Jalan Cheras-Kajang.
- Hotel Caliber, ☏ , fax: . 45-46, Jalan 5/101C, Off Jalan Kaskas, Cheras Commercial Centre, Taman Cheras. The hotel offers 132 tastefully furnished rooms at reasonable rates. Each accommodation has 24-hour satellite TV, mini-fridge, air-conditioning, among others.
- Hotel Sri Petaling, 30 Jalan Radin Anum, Sri Petaling, 57000 Kuala Lumpur Bandar, ☏ . Some of its amenities are tour and travel information desk, dry cleaning/laundry, and business center with comprehensive service. Rates start at MYR 184.00.