Kuala Perlis is only a couple of kilometres from the Thai border and very close to the Thai town of Satun. However, national parks on both sides of the border create a green barrier and there is not a direct road between the two towns.
The nearest legitimate road border is about 45 km north of Kuala Perlis.
Consider crossing the border by boat: boats run between Kuala Perlis and Tammalang pier near Satun in Thailand; or head to the Malaysian Langkawi Island by boat and then take another boat to Satun from there.
2 Masjid Terapung Al-Hussain. Floating and beautiful Mosque.
- Kak Su Laksa Beras (Kuala Perlis style of laksa)
- Medan Ikan Bakar Kuala Perlis (seafood in front Putra Brasmana Hotel)
- Shah'rin Corner
- T Restaurant
Nightlife is non-existent. Beer can be purchased at all 7-Eleven convenient stores.
- Putra Brasmana Hotel
- T Hotel, Kuala Perlis
- Kuala Perlis Seaview Hotel
- Pens Hotel
- Ambulance - Police - Fire: ☎ 999
- Rescue (Civil Defense): 991
- All the abovementioned numbers: ☎ 112 from mobile phones
- Telegram service: ☎ 100
- International and domestic operator assisted service: ☎ 101
- Directory enquiry service: ☎ 103
- Multilingual international service: ☎ 198
Avoiding overly revealing clothes goes a long way towards blending in. Many mosques and temples require covering up, and you will get more respect from officialdom if you dress up a little. Many places of worship including all mosques will require you to take your shoes off before entering. When eating with hands rather than cutlery, do not eat with the left hand in public as it is considered impolite. If you can speak just a few words of the four main local languages, namely Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese (especially Cantonese), Tamil and English, it will ingratiate you a lot with the locals.
Average temperatures are hot or hotter; it's the tropics. Be sure to stay hydrated. You will need to drink about 3 litres a day and don't wait till you are thirsty to drink. Room temperature water preferably. De-hydration accounts for a large percentage of dodgy tummy holiday illnesses.
Perlis is relatively a safe place for travellers, but take the common precautions against snatch-thieves and scams and don't accept rides from Kereta Sapu (passenger car / unlicensed taxi) at night.
- Hat Yai - South Thailand
- Pulau Langkawi (Langkawi Island) - Go to Langkawi Island at Kuala Perlis Jetty by ferry.
- Phuket- in South Thailand