Jump to navigation Jump to search
Arau is the royal capital of Perlis in northern Peninsular Malaysia.
Despite being the royal capital, Arau is overshadowed by the Perlis' actual capital, Kangar, which lies 14 km to the west of Arau. The town's main significance to travellers is its railway station, which gives access to the port at Kuala Perlis, from where there are boats to Langkawi and Thailand.
- 1 Arau Railway Station. Arau's railway station is on the main Kuala Lumpur—Bangkok line. It has services to both.
- 2 Arau Bus Hub, No. 9, Jalan Arau Kodiang.
The Istana (palace) was built in the colonial era and is in the Moorish-British hybrid style that is typical of the British Empire's take on Islamic architecture. There is also a large mosque near the palace.
- 3 Bukit Keteri (N 10 km). Limestone hill on the road to Padang Besar.
- 1 Kangar Municipal Council Food Court, Jalan KTM.
- Soo Guan Villa, 1231 Kg Ujong Matang, ☏ +60 4 9772250, fax: +60 4 9772250.
- Padang Besar - at the Thai border
- Kuala Perlis - the ferry port
- Langkawi - western Malaysia's holiday island