The nearest major airport to Kulmbach is in Nürnberg. The nearest airfield is Kulmbacher Flugplatz (Kulmbach airfield).
There are two main breweries in Kulmbach, the small Kommunbrau Brewery and the big Kulmbacher Brauerei.
- In March is spring market
- In April or May there is public celebration (Volksfest) at Schwedensteg.
- The annual Bierfest (Kulmbach Beer Festival) begins on the last Saturday in July and continues through until the first weekend in August. Be advised that getting accommodation might be a bit difficult at the time of the Bierfest. But not impossible, if you're early enough with for reservations.
- The Alstadtfest (Old Town Festival) takes place on the first weekend in July and is organised by the restaurants, bars and pubs in the old part of the town.
- Every other year Kulmbach hosts one of the world's largest model figure shows, Internationale Zinnfigurenbörse (this year 9–11 August 2013). Thousands of miniatures from exhibitors and retailers from around the world are on sale and display. Also visit the German Museum of Miniatures located inside the Castle Plassenburg. Founded in 1929, the museum has more than 300,000 individual pieces.
The Farmers Market, in front of the Town hall, takes place every Wednesday and Saturday 7h-12h and sells fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, sausages and flowers.
Best of Kulmbach are fried sausages (Bratwurst) and beer.
- 1 Imbiss Metzgerei Kleinheinz, E.-C.-Baumann-Str. 17A, 95326 Kulmbach, ☎ . The snack bar is popular with craftsmen, it is still cooked by hand and nothing comes from the bag. If you come outside business hours, you will find a vending machine that offers everything from sausage to ready-made pastries in glasses to barbecue. Schnitzelburger € 4,20.
- 2 Zum Gründla, Am Gründlein 5, 95326 Kulmbach, ☎ . Monday 16:00 - 23:00, Wednesday to Sunday 11:00 - 23:00 clock, Tuesday closed. Kulmbach's youngest brewery, with an inn with good and inexpensive Franconian food. Main courses € 4 to € 10.
- 3 Schweizerhof, Ziegelhüttener Straße 38, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Former brewery with good Franconian dishes and beer garden
- 4 Zum Seelöwen, Grünwehr 32, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday to sunday 10h-13.30h and 17-24h. Traditional restaurant founded 1898, with Franconian dishes and beer garden. Meats and sausages from own butchering.
- 5 Hagleite, Matth.-Schneider-Str.6, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday to Saturday 17h-23h, Sunday 10-14.30h and 17h-23h. Good Franconian dishes
- 6 Zum Mönchshof Bräuhaus, Hofer Straße 20, 95326 Kulmbach, ☎ . tuesday to sunday 11h to end. Restaurant of the biggest brewery, near Brewery museum, with the largest beer garden in town. Try the museum beer
Kulmbacher Eisbock, ice bock, is a dark, tasty beer speciality with 9% alcoholic content. Overall Kulmbach is famous for its beer and several breweries still operate in town, though diverse factors have lead to a consolidation and reduction of independent breweries, with many either bought up by bigger companies or driven into bankruptcy.
- 1 Kulmbacher Kommunbräu, Grünwehr 17, ☎ . Open 10.00 to 24.00. The last brewpub in Kulmbach, founded in 1994 as brewing cooperative . A small group of townspeople decided to open small brewery where they could make traditional, unfiltered beer. They offering a light “Hell” and a dark beer “Bernstein” and every month a special beer. The first taste of the new brew is every first Wednesday in month. It’s in a nice location, the building is an old water mill, but it’s the in-house brewery that sets it apart.
- 2 Zunftstube, Obere Stadt 4, ☎ . Open 10.00 to 24.00, Sunday 10.00 to 14.00. Oldest pub in town, interior furnishing from 1938.
- Hotel an der Eiche, Pörbitscher Platz 9, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Single from 62€ double from 84€.
- Weisses Roß.
- Hotel Purucker.
- Hotel Ertl.
- Hotel Kronprinz.
Bed & Breakfast
- Pension Maintal, Kirchweg 33a in 95336 Mainleus, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Single from 49€ double from 64€.
- Pension Hilde, Mangersreuther Str. 37, ☎ , fax: .
Visit Bamberg to see the medieval town and try the local smoked beer (Rauchbier) or to Bayreuth, is famous as the host of the Richard Wagner Festival, furthermore the Markgräfliches Opernhaus is listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List