Kunming Prefecture is in Yunnan Province. It borders Sichuan Province to the north, Qujing Prefecture to the east, Honghe Hani and Yi Autonomous Prefecture to the southeast, Yuxi Prefecture to the southwest and Chuxiong Yu Autonomous Prefecture to the west.
- Dongchuan district – area with many red fields
- Jinning County – the county seat, Kunyang, has a large memorial park dedicated to Admiral Zheng He.
- 1 Kunming – the main city in the prefecture
- 2 Anning
- Chenggong – Kunming's future city center (under construction), 20 km southeast from the present-day downtown Kunming
- Dian Chi Lake – a gigantic lake on the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau near Kunming. Its nickname is the "Sparkling Pearl Embedded in a Highland" and it was the model for the Kunming Lake in the Summer Palace in Beijing.
- 1 Shilin – the Stone Forest, a national park full of spectacular stone pillars carved by erosion
- 2 Jiaozi Xueshan – Jiaozi Snow Mountain and natural area
Kunming Prefecture is comprised of 14 county-level units (counties and districts, including the 4 districts making up Kunming City proper). Most travellers who visit this prefecture only stop in Kunming or Shilin, but there are other places to be visited.