This district derives its name from its chief town, Kurnool, the capital of former Nawabs, capital of Andhra Pradesh State from 1953 to 1956, and now the headquarters of the district.
Kurnool is on NH7 and is well connected to major towns and cities. Kurnool is 210 km from Hyderabad, 365 km from Bangalore and 487 km from Chennai. By bus, it takes 5 hours from Hyderabad, 8-9 hours from Bangalore and 12 hours from Chennai to reach Kurnool. There are few trains to Kurnool from both Bangalore and Hyderabad.
- 1 Anjanaya Statue, Jagannatha Hill. Located in the outskirts of Kurnool (5 km).
- 2 Ayyappa Swamy Temple.
- 3 Konda Reddy Fort (Kondareddy Burj). Remains of old Kurnool Fort.
- 4 Kotla Vijaya Bhaskar Reddy. Ghat on the banks of Hundri River in Kurnool Town, named after the former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh state.
- 5 Kurnool Archaeological Museum.
- 6 Orvakal Rock Garden (Oravakallu Rock Garden). Small park with igneous rock formations and a cave museum. This site was used in the making of several Indian movies.
- RajaVihar Center.
- 7 Shirdisai Baba Temple (Shirdi Sai Baba Temple) (near the old bus stand, 2 km from Kurnool APSRTC bus stand). The premises of the temple are very pleasant.
- Tungabhadra River Banks. There are many temples along the banks of the Tungabhadra River. This river is heavily polluted. It flows through three states: Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka.
- Swimming in Mahanandi Kolanu. Here the water is very pure and clean.
- Very big rock marble of Vrishab at temple premises.
Gold, jawar (white jonnalu), and sonamasuri rice.
- Aalu, tomato mixture behind Head Post Office old bus stand
- Kerala parota and spicy chicken delicacies in Hotel Elite (Opp Ucon Plaza)
- Brahmam Neyyi Dosa in Old Town near chinna ammavarishaala
- Haleem in Hotel International (Only during ramzan season)
- Jilebi and papda near Jain Temple Bongula Bazar (only on Sundays)
- Jonna rotte and talakaya kura in Kurnool Club Canteen
- Kandi (red gram) kudumulu
- Natikodi pulusu and jonna rotte
- Ponganalu at Dyanapriya Hotel
- Ragi mudda with Natikodi
- Uggani made with muramaralu (borugulu)
- Notu kodi pulusu with jawar roti or ragi mudda is a delicious combination
- Lassi at Babar Lassi shop near Gadiyaram Hospital and Dilbahar near Lal Masjid is really worth trying.
- Nannari is a drink consumed cold made from a local herb with medicinal properties. Eswar Soda shop near Shroff Bazar is famous for this.
- Hotel DVR, Near Children park.
- Hotel Maurya Inn.
- Hotel Rajvihar.
- Hotel Woodlands.
- Alampur (Telangana State) – Jogulamba temple one of the Shakthi peet (26 km)
- Ahobilam (143 km)
- Belum caves near Banagana-palle (125 km)
- Kalava Buggha (27 km in N.H. 40)
- Mahanandi (90 km in N.H. 40)
- Mantralayam - Raghavendra Swamy Temple on the banks of Tungabadhra river
- Nallamala forest - (Srisailam, Mahanandi and Ahobilam are all located within the forest region)
- Nayanalappa - near Nossam 130 km from Kurnool
- Ranamandala Hill in Adoni.
- Rollapadu - sanctuary for the Great Indian Bustard - the largest flying bird (60 km)
- Srisailam – a Jyothirlingam (Hindu shrine to Shiva), hence an important pilgrimage centre and Shiva Temple (Jyothi rlinga temple in A.P.)
- Tartoor (ranga natha swami temple) 37 km from Kurnool
- Yaganti -near banaganapalli (73 km from kurnool)
- Velgode reservoir - Velgode,
- Hampi once the capital of Vijayanagar Kingdom.
- Sunkesula Reservoir - Sunkesula (25 km)
- Rock Garden - near Orvakal (20 km)