More than anything else, the city is known for the Battle of Kursk in summer 1943. It did not happen within Kursk itself, but at the nearby village of Prokhorovka, where the Soviet Army won a decisive victory against Nazi Germany, and turned the tide of World War II in Europe. The engagement was the largest tank battle ever.
By train from Kursky Terminal in Moscow. Firmenny daily sleeper train Solovey #105/106 comes to Kursk early in the morning covering 537km. Other direct destinations are Saint Petersburg, Ukrainian cities like Kharkov, Crimean capital Simferopol, neighboring Belgorod and southern resort Anapa.
The city's hilly landscape is cut through by rectangular quarters as it was planned by the 17th city engineers. The city's airport is 7km north and serves flights to Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Sochi.
- Museum of Regional Studies, 6 Lunacharskogo St.
- Literature Museum
- Museum of the Battle of Kursk
- Art Gallery of Deyneka, 85 Radischev St.
- Archeological Museum, 6 Pionerov St.
- Trinity Monastery, built in the early 18th century.
- Znamensky Cathedral, you will see its blue dome from almost everywhere in the city.
- Triumph Arc dedicated to the victory in the Battle of Kursk.
- Medical University
- The One Bar, Dzerjinskogo 19, ☎ . 13:00 to 5AM. Modern, attractive bar in the center of town, close to Red Square. Open daily from 13:00 until 3AM on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. On weekends it opens from 13:00 until 5AM with great DJ's and a European standard selection of music.
- Tsentralnaya (Центральная), 2 Lenina St. Restaurant, bar, cafe, ATM from at 1600RUB.
- Kursk (Курск), 24 Lenina st (The city center), ☎ , . Soviet-style hotel, free wi-fi, no breakfast, a balanced quality for the price.
- Nightingale woods (Соловьиная роща), 142a, Engels St (Located on the city's outskirts close to the woods and a small river), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant, bar, sauna, billiard, breakfast, tennis court, wi-fi from at 2600RUB.
- Avrora (Аврора), 9 Sumskaya st, ☎ , , , e-mail: email@example.com. Restaurant, lobby-bar, massage salon, sauna, wi-fi. from at 2900RUB.
- Maryino - the palace and park of Baryatinsky noble family.
- Prokhorovka - the greatest tank battlefield in WWII.