Kymenlaakso is a region in Southern Finland named after the valley of river Kymijoki.
- 1 Repovesi National Park. One of Southern Finland’s most popular hiking destinations.
- 2 Valkmusa National Park. Large mire landscape with plenty of birdwatching opportunities.
- 3 Gulf of Finland National Park. In outer archipelago, best explored by boat.
There are no passenger airports in Kymenlaakso but frequent connections both to Kouvola and the coastal cities by bus from Helsinki. Trains from Helsinki to all parts of Eastern Finland and Russia pass through Kouvola, and so do many bus lines going in that direction. If you're coming by road from St.Petersburg and are heading for Helsinki, you will likely cross the border at Vaalimaa, east of Hamina.
The following OnniBus.com routes serve the province:
- M6 (Helsinki—Kouvola—Lappeenranta—Imatra—Joensuu)
- M7 (Helsinki—Loviisa—Kotka)
- M12 (Tampere—Lahti—Kouvola—Kotka)
The Kymenlaakso joint ticket is valid for local traffic in Kouvola and Kotka and on VR trains between Kouvola and Kotka, single ticket price is €7 and it is valid for 2 hr. You can purchase the joint ticket using the app Waltti Mobiili.
- Kymenlaakson Taksi, ☏ (extra charge: €1.25+0.68/min+pvm). Smartphone app: Taksi Kymenlaakso. Daytime M–Sa €4.90+€1.39/2.10/km+0.49/min, nights and holidays €7.80+€1.49/2.20/km+€0.49/min; lower km fee for 1–4 persons; waiting time €56/hour, prebooking €5.50.
- National smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä
- 1 Virolahti Bunker Museum, Virolahden kunta / Bunkkerimuseo, PL 14, 49901 Virolahti (Along E18 road), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Jun Aug daily 10:00–18:00, otherwise by arrangement. The exhibition is located inside a wooden building built to resemble the style of the war period in Finland. Outdoor part surrounding the museum building includes fortification sites in the forest. Fireplace is nearby. €5 adults, €2 children (7–16 years).
- 2 Salpa Line Museum in Miehikkälä, Miehikkälän municipality / Salpa Line Museum in Miehikkälä, Yhdystie 2 B 4, 49700 Miehikkälä (Along the road 384.), ☏ , email@example.com. Jun Aug daily 10:00–18:00, May Sep Wed–Sun 10:00–18:00, otherwise by arrangement. Indoor exposition and an extensive outdoor exposition (guided tour included in the entrance fee, as well as a short film). Cafeteria and a museum store. Fireplace & BBQ grounds behind the museum. €8 adults, €5 children (7–16 years).
- The old town of Hamina
- Kymi river and the dam near Kouvola.
- Verla Groundwood and Board Mill in Jaala, Kouvola; a former paper factory that now is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 3 Mustaviiri (Pyhtää). One of the points on the world heritage listed Struve Geodetic Arc that are among the more difficult to access. Located in the Gulf of Finland, you will need a boat to get to this point.
- Salpa Trail. The Salpa Trail is a 50 km long one-way hiking route between Virolahti and Miehikkälä. It follows a part of the Finnish WW2 defense line (Salpa line). Along the route there are numerous remains of bunkers, dug-outs and other fortifications and several rest-stops. They are equipped with a compost toilet, compost, a fireplace and a firewood shelter and some of them with a lean-to for an over-night stay. The Bunker museum in Virolahti and the Salpa Line museum in Miehikkälä are part of the route.
- Have fun at Tykkimäki amusement park in Kouvola
- 1 Rantakari Cottage, Seurakuja 6, Kotka, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: noon. Rantakari cottage is a cozy holiday home in Kotka, only about a 90 minutes drive from Helsinki. The cottage is designed for small families and for small peaceful meetings. it is equipped with all amenities and it is suitable for year-round holidays. Rantakari cottage is located next to our main building right by the sea and there are large terraces and a private swimming dock in front of the cottage. Rantgakari cottage accommodates up to 7 people.
- 2 Kivikoski Cottage (Kivikosken vuokramökki), Strukantie 30, Pyhtää, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: noon. Kivikoski cottage is a picturesque grey-log-wood holiday home in Pyhtää, only about an hour’s drive from Helsinki. This beautiful holiday destination is designed for recreational purposes for families, for group of friends and for small business meetings. The cottage is equipped with all amenities and it is suitable for year-round holidays. Kivikoski holiday home is located right by the river and the cottage is surrounded by a beautiful garden and grassy grounds. In connection with the rental cottage there are extensive terraces, a swimming dock, small sandy bay for the little ones, semi-open grey-log-wood gazebo and a Hot Outdoor Tub that can be rented separately. Kivikoski cottage accommodates up to 7 people
- 3 Struka villa (Vuokramökki Struka), Strukantie 24, Pyhtää, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: noon. Struka villa is a spacious picturesque log-wood villa in Pyhtää, only about an hour’s drive from Helsinki. This beautiful villa is a well equipped holiday destination designed for recreational purposes for families, for group of friends and for small business meetings. The villa is equipped with all amenities and it is suitable for year-round holidays. Struka holiday home is located right by the river and the cottage is surrounded by a beautiful garden and grassy grounds. In connection with the rental cottage there are extensive terraces, a swimming dock, a gazebo and a Hot Outdoor Tub that can be rented separately. Struka villa accpommodates up to 12 people
- 4 Skitunäs villa (Vuokramökki Skitunäs), Skitunäsintie 272, Pyhtää, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: noon. Villa Skitunäs is a fantastic holiday destination for you and for your family and friends or for business meetings and for recreational purposes in Pyhtää, only about an hour’s drive from Helsinki. Skitunäs seaside cottage is located on the sea front in a beautiful wooded grassy plot. The villa is equipped with all amenities and the villa is suitable for use year-round holidays. The rental cottage is surrounded by extensive terraces and there is a boat dock, stony beach and barbecue hut. Accommodates up to 12 people
Kymenlaakso region is a safe place.