Kymenlaakso is a region in Southern Finland named after the valley of river Kymijoki.
- Repovesi National Park. One of Southern Finland’s most popular hiking destinations.
- Valkmusa National Park. Large mire landscape with plenty of birdwatching opportunities.
- Gulf of Finland National Park. In outer archipelago, best explored by boat.
There are no passenger airports in Kymenlaakso but frequent connections both to Kouvola and the coastal cities by bus from Helsinki. Trains from Helsinki to all parts of Eastern Finland and Russia pass through Kouvola, and so do many bus lines going in that direction. If you're coming by road from St.Petersburg and are heading for Helsinki, you will likely cross the border at Vaalimaa, east of Hamina.
Trains of national operator VR are possible to use for travelling inside province.
Matkahuolto has a dense bus network covering most of the province.
Onnibus offers discount bus service by few routes.
- 1 Virolahti Bunker Museum, Virolahden kunta / Bunkkerimuseo, PL 14, 49901 Virolahti (Along E18 road), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Jun Aug daily 10:00-18:00, otherwise by arrangement. The exhibition is located inside a wooden building built to resemble the style of the war period in Finland. Outdoor part surrounding the museum building includes fortification sites in the forest. Fireplace is nearby. 5 € adults, 2 € children (7-16 years).
- 2 Salpa Line Museum in Miehikkälä, Miehikkälän municipality / Salpa Line Museum in Miehikkälä, Yhdystie 2 B 4, 49700 Miehikkälä (Along the road 384.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Jun Aug daily 10:00-18:00, May Sep Wed-Sun 10:00-18:00, otherwise by arrangement. Indoor exposition and an extensive outdoor exposition (guided tour included in the entrance fee, as well as a short film). Cafeteria and a museum store. Fireplace & BBQ grounds behind the museum. 8 € adults, 5 € children (7-16 years).
- The old town of Hamina
- Kymi river and the dam near Kouvola.
- Verla Groundwood and Board Mill in Jaala, Kouvola; a former paper factory that now is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Salpa Trail. The Salpa Trail is a 50 km long one-way hiking route between Virolahti and Miehikkälä. It follows a part of the Finnish WW2 defense line (Salpa line). Along the route there are numerous remains of bunkers, dug-outs and other fortifications and several rest-stops. They are equipped with a compost toilet, compost, a fireplace and a firewood shelter and some of them with a lean-to for an over-night stay. The Bunker museum in Virolahti and the Salpa Line museum in Miehikkälä are part of the route.
- Have fun at Tykkimäki amusement park in Kouvola
- 1 Cottages, Seurakuja, and in the villages of Struka and Skitunäs (Pyhtää municipality),, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Suomen Kotteria offers accommodation in seaside cottages in the region around Kotka.