Læsø is the largest island in Kattegat, some 20 kilometres east of Frederikhavn on the Jutland peninsular in Denmark, roughly half way to Gothenburg in Sweden.
It measures roughly 120km² and has population of around 2000 inhabitants. Along with the Island Anholt to the south, it is part of the Danish "desert belt" which sees substantially less rainfall than the rest of the country during the summer months, and streams and ponds have a tendency to dry up during these months.
The most common way to reach the island is by ferry from Frederikshavn, which usually sees 4-5 departures a day, and takes approximately 90 minutes. But the islands airfield also sees scheduled taxi flights from Roskilde airport, near Copenhagen, although for any budget traveller these flights tend to be prohibitably expensive; but varying slightly depending on the season, and when you book.
- Læsø linien (Ferry), Havnepladsen 1, ☏ +45 98 49 90 22, email@example.com. 145-200 DKK, Cars 415-580 DKK.
- Copenhagen Airtaxi, Lufthavnsvej 34, Roskilde, ☏ +45 46 19 11 14, firstname.lastname@example.org. 1000-1500 DKK.
While there is a free scheduled bus (line 840, connects with ferry arrivals) that runs across the island from the western port; Vesterby to the eastern village; Østerby, and a cheap 4 hour guided roundtrip of the island, probably the best way to see the island is by bike, which can either be brought on the ferry, or rented on the island. Finally a more exotic way is to see the island by horseback (more details in the Do section)
- Jarvis Cykler (Bike rental), Vesterø Havnegade 29 (300 meters from the ferry port,), ☏ +45 98 49 94 44. 75 DKK per day, discounts for longer rentals.
- Læsø Saltsyderi, Hornfiskrønvej 3, ☏ +45 9849 1355. Mar-Jun, Sep-Dec 10AM-4PM, Jul-Aug 10AM-5PM. A company making salt, from seawater, in an old and traditional fashion. There is also an open workshop where it is possible to watch while salt is being made. Free.
- Læsø Tower (Læsøtårnet), Thorvald Hansensvej 5, ☏ +45 9839 1062. 8AM-10PM. Built in 1927, 17 meter high. 10 Kr, children 5 Kr.
Læsø on horseback
Seeing the island on the back of Icelandic horses, is a fun and unique way to see the island, and there are several ways to this;
- Fædrelandet, Fædrelandsvej 2, ☏ +45 98 49 16 01. Mainly short trips and horse drawn carriage tours. Guided trips 1-3 hours: 150-350 DKK.
- Rønnergården, Egegårdsvej 4, ☏ +45 98 49 14 39. Full weekend packages, including accommodation 1900 DKK, or 3 day around the island trips 3200 DKK
- Krogbækgaard, Storhavevej 8, ☏ +45 98 49 15 05. Mainly short trips (1-4 hours) and horse drawn carriage (2-4 hours) tours. 180-350 DKK.
- Læsø Sydesalt (to spice)
- Strandgaarden Badehotel. Gourmet restaurant and cosy hotel