La Libertad is a municipality in the La Libertad department of Western El Salvador.
You can take bus 102 from the corner of 17a Av Sur and 6a Calle ponente in the city center, $0.60.
You can walk and surf in the nearest beaches. Buses from Liberad to other beaches like El Tunco and SunZal cost .25 US and catching a ride in a truck is always an option.
The La Libertad beaches are some of the best surfing beaches in the country as well as in the whole Central American region.
- El Sunzal Beach. The best surfing beach in El Salvador and one of the best 10 of the world.
- Puerto de La Libertad. Has one of the country's major ports, and is a good area for tourism and surfing, as well as for eating the delicious Salvadorian "cocteles" or "ceviches".
- Playa San Diego. A huge sandy beach, deserted bar a few fishermen at dusk & dawn, maybe some kids playing football with bamboo goalposts. Great surf for beginners .... none of the rocks and crowds of Sunzal. Friendly residential area, a few hotels and one hostel and a few cheap comedores & pupusarias.
- Joya de Ceren — A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Joya de Ceren is an archaeological site featuring a pre-Columbian Maya farming village preserved remarkably intact under layers of volcanic ash. It is often referred to as the "Pompeii of the Americas" in comparison to the famous ancient Roman ruins.
If you plan to surf understand that these are the local's breaks also. Expect them to drop in on you but if you drop in on them you might they will let you know. There are numerous places to rent boards and many of the hostels outside of La Libertad have a decent selection. Most rent per day for 5-6 US and up to 12 US per day at Hospital de Tables (best selection in one place). If you are new to surfing SunZal is an easy point break but can be crowded on weekends. Surf boards are allowed on all buses with no additional cost. Enter through the back door where the seats are removed.
You can eat the world famous cockteles de camaron (Shrimp Cocktails) and a lot of seafood. Pupusas seem to be a staple food for travelers 3 for a dollar is hard to beat. These are sold just about everywhere in Libertad and all along the highway. The local comedors along the Highway and in town also sell large plates of tipico for 2-4US, well worth the splurge. There is a selection of higher priced gourmet restaurants dotted throughout the area also.
- Letras Café. A bohemian style café with gourmet-bistro style food in Antiguo Cuscatlán. Additionally there are weekly artistic performances ranging from live music, theater, art exhibitions, and culinary expositions.
The neighboring town of El Tunco has most of the bars frequented by travelers and local surfers. Beer starts at a dollar in most places. Watch for event parties in Libertad on the weekends at the pavilion near the beach.
There are many options along the coast ranging from 5US to 50US per night.
- Casa de Mar Hotel & Villas, El Sunzal, La Libertad, Ph: +503 2389-6284, +503 2389-6281, +503 2389-6020, +503 2265-2080 . Offers guests direct beach front access to perfect waves. Each room overlooks the ocean, as do the swimming pool, bar and hilltop restaurant.
- El Hostel is a new place in Sunzal with friendly English speaking owners and a good kitchen with large refrigerator. Dm 6-10US One Private double available, big, with shower(more to come). Get to know the locals by talking with the gardener and the friendly neighbors. Also ask about painting/writing just about anything you want on the walls. Or get a Foosball tournament going on the full sized table upstairs. Beer/water $1, Soda/Juice $.50 available.
- Surf Inn sits just above El Hostel and offers private rooms for about the same price.
- El Roble Hostal. Hostel at Playa San Diego. Large swimming pool, lots of sports & games, hammocks set in gardens and communal areas. Meals provided or you can cook your own on the outdoor kitchen & barbecue area. Bar open all hours supplying beers, cocktails and fruit smoothies. Dorm rooms and privates available. A few minutes to the beach of Playa San Diego. You can safely walk or jog this beach for hours.
- Mizata Resort, ☎ . Playa Mizata, km 86,5 en Litoral,La Libertad. Relax at one of the nicest sandy beaches of El Salvador, one of the hammocks with ocean view. Hotel with all amenities to have a tropical holiday just 50 min from the airport.
- El Roble Hostal (El Roble Hostal), #17 4ta Calle, Playa San Diego, El Salvador 503. El Roble Hostal is a great hostel with an English and local owner.. It's 500 mtr from a beautiful beach. Has it's own pool, has internet and dorms as from USD$ 8.00 per night. The area is also save, and if you want to go to La Libertad you can go by bus for USD$ 0.25. 8.
Staying safe in the city is very important. As many other cities in El Salvador La Libertad is highly populated but unlike San Salvador it has a lower crime rate. Common sense rules apply as in most places:
- Don't wear expensive jewelry.
- Don't hang out in places where it looks abandoned.
- If you rent a car don't rent a luxurious car.