La Spezia is one of the four provinces of Liguria and has a population of about 91,391 inhabitants. La Spezia's inhabitants are called Spezzini. The area of this Ligurian town is of 51.4 square kilometers.
It's a beautiful city with a beautiful sea that blends with the nearby mountains. A good overlap of sky, earth and water. The streets are full of bergamot trees, and next to the beach there are really beautiful gardens with weird plants, absolutely well maintained.
The train route from La Spezia to Levanto passes through the CinqueTerre National Park. Day or multi-day train passes (~€15 per day for a family of 4 in 2007) are available allowing unlimited travel on this route.
- 1 Scola Tower. A former military building on a tiny island, later converted to a lighthouse. An interesting abandoned building worth taking a picture in, if you happen to go around.
- 2 Nostra Signora della Salute (Madonna della Scorza). Consecrated in 1900.
- 3 Cattedrale di Cristo Re. Consecrated in 1975.
- 4 Chiesa del Sacro Cuore (Church of the Sacred Heart).
- Centre of Modern and Contemporary Art (CAMeC).
- 5 Castello di San Giorgio. The castle is the oldest military building in the city, whose first phase of construction is prior to the thirteenth century. The structure preserved and visible today is the work of the Genoese who also built several other fortifications in the Gulf to defend against Muslim raids. The development of the city 's entire area of the gulf of La Spezia is therefore always been related to the military function of the area.
Focaccia, pesto, the chickpea flour, pumpkin flowers stuffed and vegetable pies are typical recipes of Ligurian cuisine are also widely covered in La Spezia.
In addition, although originating in Lunigiana, famous in this area of Liguria are the sgabei and testaroli. But it is analyzing the real La Spezia gastronomic tradition that you discover the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and black pepper to be the basis of some more recipes; among them well-known is a soup of legumes and cereals called mescciüa.
- Skaletta Rock Club, Via Crispi, 168, ☏ . A fine Road House bar with beer, rock, pool and mini-foot tables. It's a little bit outside of the centre of town, but worth the trip. Could it be one of the greatest bars in the world?
- Shake Club, Via Valdilocchi, 9. A fine Road House bar with beer, rock.
- Loggia dei Banchi, Via Mazzolani, 32, ☏ . Nice place for start the weekend night (and getting English composition lessons).
- NH Jolly La Spezia, ☏ . Via XX Settembre, 2. The hotel is just a seconds walk from the seafront, and only 150 meters from both the port and the historical centre and is also close to the main train station.
- There is a beautiful town about 15 minutes away called Sarzana. In Sarzana's town square there is a market every Wednesday that fun to go to. There is also Luna Park for children.
If you are seeking a career aboard one of the many superyachts in La Spezia a good place to register and start looking is Crew Central  [dead link]