Laitila (Swedish: Letala) is a small town in Finland Proper.
Laitila, with some 8,500 inhabitants has been regarded a town since 1986. It is surrounded by fields and known for production of egg and early vegetables (75% of Finnish early carrots), nowadays also for the brewery and soft drink factory (Laitilan Wirvoitusjuomatehdas). Indeed, a significant part of its industry is about food processing. Laitila belongs to a commons commuting area with Uusikaupunki and Rauma, still with more people commuting to the town than away from it.
The area is rich in finds from the Iron Age, the most notable being the Vainionmäki grave field. The first glass item of Finland, from Roman times. Among built environments of national interest are the villages of Untamala and Suontaa and the farm yard of Kauppila.
- Tourist information (Poukan talo), Keskuskatu 4 (in the centre), ☏ . In a farmhouse from the 1700s. Exhibitions about chicken farming and about the soft drink factory. Café. Exhibitions €1.
- Laitila guides (Laitilan oppaat) (at Poukan talo), ☏ . Guided tours
There are several coaches daily from Turku, mainly by Onnibus. Most are express or special express services, stopping at 1 "Meijeri" by E8, a hundred metres east or west of Keskuskatu. Some come all the way from Helsinki, continuing to Pori or Oulu. Coaches originating in Turku usually head for Uusikaupunki, Rauma, Pori, Tampere or Vaasa. The regular services (also normal express ones?) also go via the 2 Bus Station and other key locations.
There are several local history museums in old houses, often maintained by the local communities of the villages. Many open on request only. Enquiries to the head of culture ☏.
- Kaariaisten mäkitupalaismuseo (3 km along road 43 towards Eura, then 3.3 km along Kaivolantie, then along Väliläntie following the signage), ☏ . Open by agreement. A mäkitupa, house of a poor tenant family, who lived eight persons in a single room. Museum since the 1930s. Interior as in the 1920s.
- 1 Kauppila (Kauppilan umpipiha), Koukkelantie 240 (3,4 km south from the centre, 5 km from E8 along the signed route), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. June–August Su 12:00–17:00, 27 June–15 August also Tu–F 12:00–17:00, Sa 12:00–16:00. Local history museum: the enclosed yard of an old wealthy farm with buildings, the oldest of which are from the 1600s. The farm was inhabited into the 1950s, and is a museum since 1975. Sheep. Café. Events in summer. Adults €4, children free.
- 2 Saint Michael's Church (Pyhän Mikaelin kirkko), Keskuskatu 7 (in the centre), ☏ .
- 3 Saint Peter's Church (Pyhän Pietarin kirkko) (Untamala). Church originally built in 1785. There has been a church on the site already in medieval times. Services on some holidays, evening prayers in summer. Check days.
- Untamalan kylänraitti (in Untamala, 5.5 km north from the centre along E8). Former main road of the Untamala village, a built environment of national significance. By the road is Untamala local history museum (Sarkin talonpoikaistalo), the Saint Peter Church and the community centre Ventola with a café, in an old farmer's house. Nearby is a culture path through a grave field from 0–200 CE.
- Romanov heritage (Seppo Rinnen kokoelma), Koulutie 2 (in the centre), ☏ . Porcelain and other items from the Romanovs era of the Russian Empire.
- Hill forts (Linnavuoret). Kirkkelinna, Hautvuori, Seppälän linnavuoret and the ones of Vaimaro's Matinmaa.
- Ahoska Catering, Keskuskatu 24 (in the centre), ☏ . Lunch M–F 10:30-14:30. Lunch and catering.
- Ravintola Kukonkulma, Keskuskatu 18 (in the centre), ☏ . M–Th 10:30–22:00, F 10:30–23, Sa 11:00–23:00, Su 12:00–22:00; lunch M–F 10:30–14:00. Lunch €7–9; kebab €9–13, salad €11–14, burger €14, pizza €15–20, à la carte €20.
- Hyvinvointikeskus Poukanville, Keskuskatu 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Lunch –13:30. €9.
- Lounaskahvila Wilhelmiina & Waltteri, Turuntie 11 (in the centre), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch 10:45–13:30. €7–9.
Laitilan Kievari below offers some nightlife.
- Tiihosen Leipomo, Keskuskatu 13 (in the centre), ☏ . M–F 07:30–16:30, Sa 09:00–14:00. Café and patisserie.
- Laitilan Kievari. Lunch M–F 10:30–14:00. Hotel and hostel. Three restaurants and café. Sauna. Lunch. Live music some evenings, for dancing or otherwise. Single €95, double €130, additional bed €40 (breakfast included); room with sauna €170–180; hostel €58/75/90, room with en suite shower and toilet €88, breakfast +€5; lunch €6.50/10/15–20 (soup/buffet/+separate main).
|Routes through Laitila|
|Pori ← Raumo ←||N S||→ Vakka-Suomi countryside → Turku|