Laiwu (莱芜; Láiwú) is a small but beautiful city in central Shandong Province. The smallest prefecture-level city in Shandong province, it borders the provincial capital of Jinan to the north, Zibo to the east and Tai'an to the southwest while the Darwin river (大汶河) passes central of the city. With a population of around 1.35 million, it is one of the smallest cities in Shandong Province.
It is a developing industrial city. Some Chinese regard it as one of the most beautiful and the most suitable for living industrial cities.And Laiwu carries the nickname Phoenix City (凤城) because of some magic old stories. While it doesn't always make the short list of tourists visiting China, there is certainly enough to be done in Laiwu to warrant some days stay.
Laiwu City lies on the central of Shandong and borders Jinan, Zibo and Tai'an.
- Laicheng District (莱城区; Láichéngqū) — the downtown core that with most of the city's major hotels and attractions.
- Gangcheng District (钢城区; Gāngchéngqū) — sits directly southwest of Laicheng District and contains many industrial buildings.And it is famous for a big company called "Laigang".
Five economic function areas part of Laiwu:
- Xueye Tourist District (雪野旅游区; ) — north of Laicheng District.
- Laiwu New and High-Tech Zones (莱芜高新区; ) — contains Pengquan Town
- Laiwu Agricultural New High Level Technology Development and Model Zones (莱芜农高区; ) — contains Fangxia, Yangzhuang, Niuquan towns
- Economic Development Zones(Kouzhen) (经济开发区;口镇 ) —
- Taigang Industrial Area (泰钢工业园区; ) —
Laiwu is a very small city in Shandong Province, only 2,246 km² and its population is only 1.35 million.But in Laiwu, you can see many beautiful scenes, you can try many delicious special food and you can also have a peaceful life in here.
- 1 Laiwudong Railway Station, Daqiao N. Rd., Laicheng District. Laiwudong is the only passenger station in Laiwu.
Trains from major cities not too far away include:
- Taishan — No high-speed trains.One normal trains 7053, 1.5 hours, normal seat ¥3.
- Zibo — No high-speed trains.One normal trains 7054, about 4 hours, normal seat ¥8.5
- 2 Laiwu bus terminal, Wenhe Street, Laicheng District. The largest bus station in Laiwu.
If you are travelling from within Shandong Province, going by bus is probably the easiest way. Especially now with the new excellent and fast expressways linking Laiwu with other cities in the province. There are several buses per day from Jinan, Tai'an, Qufu, as well as Qingdao and Rizhao on the coast.
You can fly to Jinan and take the bus to Laiwu. The trip takes about 2-3 hours.
- 1 Xueyehu Scenic Area (雪野湖) (Take bus K240 from Laiwu Bus Terminal. The bus fare is ¥3.). An artificial lake to the north of Laiwu city, there are a number of new hotels on the banks of the lake, many fresh fish restaurants, and venues for water sports.
- Fanggan Eco Tourism Area (房干生态旅游区) (3 express buses depart daily from the Laiwu Bus Terminal. If you miss that bus, you may like to consider taking the K204 to Shangyou (上游) and then catching a taxi from there. Fanggan Eco Tourism Area is about 13km from Shangyou.), ☏ . 08:00-17:00. ¥70 to visit Jiulong Canyon & Jintai Mountain, ¥50 to visit Fantasy Lovers Valley & Shiyun Mountain, ¥100 to visit all four sites..
- Laiwu Campaign Memorial Museum (莱芜战役纪念馆), 43 Hanyang Street, Laicheng District (莱城区汶阳大街43号) (Bus routes 21, K8 and K10), ☏ . May to September: 8:30-12:00, 13:30-17:30; October to April: 8:30-12:00, 13:00-17:00 (Closed on Mondays). Museum about the Laiwu Campaign, a major military campaign of the Chinese Civil War. Free.