Shandong (山东; Shāndōng) is a province in China. Also referred to as Chiloo (齐鲁, Qilu), The Giant State (Shandong people are known to be the tallest in the country), and the hometown of Confucius.
The name means east of the mountains. Shandong is a coastal province situated by the Bohai Sea to the north and the Yellow Sea to the south. The Yellow River runs through the province.
Main attractions are Qufu (the birthplace of Confucius), Mount Tai (holy mountain in Chinese belief, the most climbed mountain in China), Qingdao (nice port city with beaches and German buildings) and Yantai (holiday city with lots of European buildings). The capital, Jinan (a city of springs where water and willows are famous), is renowned for its artesian springs and serves as a transport hub for the region.
- 1 Jinan 济南- the capital
- 2 Tai'an 泰安- the town established because of Mt. Tai
- 3 Qingdao 青岛- or Tsingtao the largest city, former German concession, home of Tsingtao Brewery
- 4 Qufu 曲阜 - the birthplace of Confucius
- 5 Weihai 威海 - or Port Edward a seaside resort at the eastern end of the peninsula. Formerly, a British naval base.
- 6 Yantai 烟台 - or Chipoo, holiday city with beaches
- 7 Zoucheng 邹城 - the birthplace of Mencius
- 8 Dezhou
- 9 Dongying
- 10 Heze
- 11 Jining
- 12 Laiwu 莱芜 - smallest city in Shandong Province
- 13 Laixi
- 14 Laiyang
- 15 Linyi
- 16 Qingzhou
- 17 Rizhao - seaport city south of Qingdao
- 18 Weifang
- 19 Zibo
- 1 Mount Tai (泰山)
- 2 Penglai (蓬莱) — Coastal resort, home to Penglai Pagoda, one of the Four Great Towers of China.
There are a few major international airports including Jinan Yaoqiang Airport, Qingdao Liuting Airport, Yantai Penglai Airport, and Weihai Dashuipo Airport.
- High-speed trains provide regular service from Beijing and Shanghai to cities including Jinan, Taian, Dezhou, Qufu and Zaozhuang. An average travel time is 2 hrs.
- Regular train services provide links between pretty much anywhere else in China to almost any city and town in Shandong Province.