Lake Bracciano (Lago di Bracciano) is a volcanic lake in the Italian region of Lazio, 32 km northwest of Rome. It has a perimeter of approximately 32 km surrounded by volcanic hills, and one mountain to the north called Rocca Romana. Two towns sit on the lake shore: Anguillara Sabazia and Trevignano Romano, in addition to Bracciano which overlooks the lake from a high hill to the South West, Manziana which is set about two miles back to the West, and Vicarello, the site of the ancient Aqua Appolinaris baths to the north west.
The lake is a popular location for Romans at weekends, particularly during the summer when the area can get extremely crowded. It serves as a drinking water reservoir for Rome and the use of motorboats is forbidden. This makes Bracciano one of the cleanest lakes of Italy. Swimming, sailing and other watersports are permitted.
The towns of Anguillara and Bracciano can be reached by train from Ostiense railway station in Rome. By car, take Rome’s ring road (the GRA) to the Cassia bis exit and follow the signs to the lake. Alternatively, you can take the coastal A12 Autostrada or the Via Aurelia in the direction of Civitavecchia, leaving it at Cerveteri or Furbara-Sasso and following signs to Bracciano.
Regional buses called COTRAL are operated by the region of Lazio and call hourly at Canale Monterrano, Manziana, Bracciano and Anguillara then descend to Rome along the via Clodia terminating at the Saxa Rubra bus garage close to the RAI television Studios on the via Flaminia. Approximately one bus every two hours from Bracciano passes Trevignano Romano in each direction, and one bus every two hours also reaches Bracciano Hospital.
The local municipalities of Manziana, Bracciano and Anguillara also provide small orange mini-busses which connect their outlying communities at certain times of the day.
In the summer months, a tourist boat connects Bracciano's Lakeside beach area with piers in the centre of Anguillara and Trevignano. The boat makes three complete tours of the lake in a day in a triangular route missing out most of the west side of the lake.
- Bracciano is a small town mainly famous for a well-preserved 15th Century castle (Castello Odescalchi)
- Anguillara Sabazia is built on a small cape that sticks out into the lake. Three kilometres east of the town lies the small Lake Martignano. This is not accessible by car and requires a short walk from the parking area. Unlike Lake Bracciano it is very undeveloped.
- Trevignano Romano is on the north side of the lake. It has some pleasant lakeside walks and is the lake’s main sailing center.
- The picturesque town of Manziana is on the west side of the lake, with great views of the whole lake, beautiful boutique shops along the main shopping street and the region's finest cuisine, at Il Sorcetto restaurant.
- Monterano the ghost-town is 15 minutes west of Manziana destroyed by Napoleon's armies in 1790.
- Explore the conduit and sources of the ancient Aqua Traiana, Trajan's Aqueduct which circumnavigated the lake and had sources all around its volcanic foothills, from Pisciarelli, and Santa Fiora, to Vicarello and Bassano in the North and also East of Trevignano Romano. Trajan's Aqueduct was partly rebuilt by Pope Paul V in 1612 and named the Acqua Paola and much of the Acqua Paola remains in working order today.
- 1 Italian Air Force Museum (MuSAM), Vigna di Valle, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:30-16:30 (winter); 09:30-17:30 (summer); closed on Monday. A superb collection of planes housed in the hangars of Italy's first seaplane base. Exhibits range from the pioneers of flight and WWI fighters up to Italian military planes of the present day. This is one of the largest collections of its type in the world and is really well displayed. Free of charge.
- Fedeli department store in central Bracciano (via Principe di Napoli) offers fine jewelery and fine clothing to wealthy widows and elegant ladies with large alimony cheques.
- Bracciano Due on the far side of the via Braccianese from the town centre has a small Mall-style shopping centre with a reasonably sized CONAD hypermarket, a Euronics Consumer Electronics store, a Feltrinelli Bookstore, a nail bar and beauty-treatments shop, and various other boutiques (mostly focused on female vanity), a pizzeria and a coffee-shop. There are no clothing stores for men or children.
- Kesp outdoor commercial centre on the boundary of Manziana, arriving from Bracciano, has a Carrefour supermarket, a large Electronics superstore called Medimax, a large but understocked shoeshop, and a pricey DIY store.
- Chalet del Lago, Viale R. Belloni, 28/29 - Anguillara (Just before Anguillara as you approach from Bracciano), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tuesday-Saturday: 12:30 - 15:00, 19:45 - 22:00; Sunday: 12:30 - 16:00 (closed for supper); Monday closed. Beautiful setting right on the lake with great views of Anguillara. Has been used as a set by several directors, including Fellini. Good wine list € 29.00 menu degustazione, excluding drinks; no prices are given on online à la carte menu.
- 1 La Cirioletta Ignorante, Via Della Collegiata 26 (a few meters from the castle odescalchi), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday-Sunday 11:30am-11:30pm, monday close. Mediterranean, Fast food, for vegetarians 5-12€.
- 2 Pane e Olio, piazza Mazzini, 11, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tuesday-Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm / 6:00pm-11:30pm, monday close. Traditional food and products at km 0 20-35€.
- 3 Osteria del Borgo, piazza Roma, 8, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. monday-Sunday 12:00pm-4:00pm / 8:00pm-11:00pm, Tuesday close. The cuisine is Italian 30-40€.
- 4 [dead link] L'Archetto da Lidia, Piazza delle Magnolie, 1, ☏ . Tuesday-Sunday 11:30am-3:30pm / monday 11:30am-3:30pm. Italian, Seafood, Soups
- 5 Ai due Leoni, Via di Castel Giuliano, 13, ☏ . Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday 7:00pm-10:00pm / Wednesday close / Sunday 12:00pm-3:00pm. Italian, Pizza 9-23€.
- 6 Agritutrismo "La Baita", Via Panzanata, 2, ☏ . Monday-Sunday 1:00 pm-5:00 pm. Italian,Room staff, parking, parking validated, accessible wheelchair, serves liquor, wine and beer, Reservations, tables outside, Seats
- 7 Al Castello, Via della Collegiata, 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Wood oven 15-30 euro.
- 8 La Taverna dei Balbi, Via Olmata Tre Cancelli, 22, ☏ . Tuesday close / Monday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday 7:30pm-11:00pm. Italian, Mediterranean 10-30 euro.
- 9 fraschetta (tutti in frasca), Via Giulio Volpi 9 (Opposite the entrance of the Castle Orsini), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday-Sunday 11:00am-3:00pm / 6:00pm-10:30pm. 5-20 euro.
- 10 Agriturismo "Tra Lago e Cielo", Via della Lobbra, 1/B, ☏ . for families
- 11 Garibaldi, Via Giuseppe Garibaldi 6, ☏ . Italian
- 12 Osteria da Nerone, Via Della Arazzaria 5,, ☏ . Monday Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm / 7:00pm-11:00pm. Italian, Fish 9-15€.
- 13 Casa D Ristorantino, Piazza Roma, 18, ☏ . Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
- 14 Cacio e Pepe, Lungolago Giuseppe Argenti, 39, ☏ . monday close / Sunday-Tuesday- Wednesday-Thursday -Friday -Saturday 10a.m-11p.m.. italian
- 15 il Grillo, Piazza Don Cesolini, 32/33, ☏ . all days 7:00pm-12:00am. Pizzas sourdough served on platters in a room with colorful furniture and play area for children.
- 16 Crazy Bull Cafè, Piazza Don Cesolini, 4-6, ☏ . monday close / Sunday 12:00pm-3:00am / Tuesday- Wednesday -Friday -Saturday 5apm-3:00am.. Hamburger, pancakes and Tex-Mex menu in a colorful inspiration of USA with bright pictures on the walls.
- 17 La Fontanella, Via Francesco Silla, 1, ☏ . Italian, Pizza, Seafood, Mediterranean
- 18 Al Fresco, Via Fioravanti, 46, ☏ . Italiana, Pesce, Mediterranea
- 19 Ristorante al Vecchio Ponte, Via del Ponte Medioevale, 1, ☏ . Sunday-Monday 10:00am - 01:00am. Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean, For Vegetarians 20-40€.
- 20 [dead link] 4 Castagni, Via Olmata Tre Cancelli, ☏ . monday 7:00pm-10:30pm / Tuesday Sunday 8:00pm-10:30pm. Italian, Pizza 10-30€.
- 21 Fantasy Food, Via Principe di Napoli, ☏ . italian 7-19€.
- 22 Birreria dar Toro Seduto, Via Arazzaria, 33, ☏ . monday-sunday 6:00pm-1:00am. Pub, Italian, Mexican 5-20€.
- 23 Pizzando, Via Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour, 36, ☏ . monday-sunday 11:00am-11:00pm. Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean 10-30€.
- 24 Striscia la Pizza, Via Claudia 32, ✉ email@example.com. italian,pizza
- 25 Trattoria Le Torri, Via Claudia, 49, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. italian,Mediterranean
- 26 La Zuccallegra, Via Girolamo Tamburri, 9, ☏ . For vegetarians
- 27 Donegan's, Via Claudia, 2A, ☏ . monday-sunday 6:30pm-2:00am / Tuesday close. italian,pub 18-30€.
- 28 Prosit, Via Girolamo Tamburri, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. monday close / tuesday-sunday 11:00am-11:00pm. italian 7-12€.
- 29 Monte dell'Oro, Via del Sasso, 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. monday close, tuesday-sunday 10:00am-3:00pm / 6:00pm-11:00pm. italian
- 30 [dead link] Il Vagone, Via Regina d'Italia, 4, ☏ . Wednesday close, Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday 12:30pm-2:30pm / 7:30pm-10_30pm. italian, Suitable for children
- 31 [dead link] Ristorante Pizzeria degli Abruzzi, Via delle Molare, 2, ☏ . Thursday close, Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday 12:30pm-3:30pm / 7:00pm-10:30pm. italian, pizza and Mediterranean 15-30€.
- 32 Alfredo Persichella, Via della Sposetta Vecchia, 1, ☏ . Italian, Pizza, Seafood, Mediterranean
- 33 Sushifiore, Via Santa Lucia, 4,, ☏ . monday close, tuesday-sunday 11:00am-3:00pm / 7:00pm-11:30pm. Chinese, Japanese, Sushi 15-20€.
- 34 Pizzeria da Mami, Piazza San Lorenzo, 45 (via pisciarelli), ☏ . monday close / tuesday-sunday 7:30pm-12:00am. Italian, Pizza, Asian 10-20€.
- 35 Sheng Long, Via Principe di Napoli, 164, ☏ . Monday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday 12:00pm-12:00am / tuesday 7:00-12:00am. Chinese
- 36 Bottega di Braccio, Piazza Giuseppe Mazzini, ☏ . monday close / tuesday-sunday 5:00p,-12:00am.
- 37 ZeroZero Pizza, Piazza Marinai D'italia, ☏ . monday-sunday 7:00pm-12:00am. pizza 10-15€.
- 38 Ristorante Sora Tuta, Via Agostino Fausti, ☏ . italien
- 39 Un'altra Bottiglia, 27 Via Arazzeria, ☏ . italian,Mediterranean
- 40 Number One, Via Principe di Napoli, 85, ☏ . monday close / tuesday-sunday 12:00pm-11:000pm. Gastronomy
- 41 Ristorante La Collina, Via di Valle Foresta, 11, ☏ . monday-Friday close / saturday 7:30pm-12:00am / sunday 12:30pm-5:00pm. italian 15-25€.
- 42 La Porta Rossa, Via Gabriele D'Annunzio, 34, ☏ . monday-sunday 6:00pm-1:00am.
- 43 Agriturismo "Monte La Puglia", Via Castel Giuliano, ☏ . Breakfast included, for families
- 44 Festina Lente, Via Olmata Tre Cancelli, 8, ☏ . sunday close / monday-friday 8:22am-10:00pm - saturday 9:00am-6:30pm. italian
- 45 Outlaw Bistrot Pub, 67, Via Arazzaria, ☏ . monday-sunday close / 7:00pm-12:00am. Italian, Brasserie 5-20€.
- 46 Galeon, Lungolago Giuseppe Argenti, 14, ☏ . monday close / tuesday-sunday 10:00am-4:00pm. italian,pizza 5-25€.
- 47 Rosa dei venti, Lungolago Argenti, 49, ☏ . monday-sunday 8:00am-1:00pm.
- 48 Porco Rosso, Via Raffaello Sanzio 46,, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Steakhouse, Fast food
Bracciano has two particularly western-friendly eating and drinking establishments:
- Donnegans is an extensive pub in Bracciano City Centre with a spacious atmosphere, a good quality aperitivo, and a slightly expensive drinks menu. Prices are on a par with drinks in Milan or Trastevere.
- Crazy Bull is a great sports-type bar and a modern Tex-Mex restaurant on a hill above Bracciano Castle and slightly to the periphery of the city centre. However it offers good quality western food, and some variety for those whose constitutions need a break from the relentless (although delicious) pizza and pasta. Crazy Bull is also a great place to sit and drink a beer or a cocktail without travelling into Rome.
- 1 La Gismonda, via della Cisterna, 6 (hamlet Pisciarelli), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:30. It has 8 nice and confortable rooms and mini apartments that overloook Lake Bracciano, and Bracciano's castle. Both the rooms and the apartments are air conditioned and have private bathrooms.A panoramic swimming pool and a giant chess board (and giant chess pieces are both free to use
- Historians and Archaeologists may like to contact the Forum Clodii society based in Bracciano, and who run their own museum.
- Those interested in local etruscan archaeology can contact the Manziana Archaeology Group Gruppo Archeologico Romano Sezione Manziana.
- For further information about the conservation area around Lakes Bracciano and Martignano, visitors can contacts the Parks Authority Parco Regionale Naturale Bracciano Martignano.
- Those interested in visiting Lake Bracciano can contact Associazione Turismo Lago di Bracciano or Visit Bracciano.
The Etruscan tombs of Cerveteri are just 20 minutes from Bracciano to the southwest. Closer, but along a winding road to the northeast, leaving the lake at Trevignano, is Sutri, which has an interesting Roman amphitheatre carved out of rock.
|Routes through Lake Bracciano|
|END ← Viterbo ←||N S||→ North Rome → Aventino-Testaccio, Rome|