Jump to navigation Jump to search
The North of Rome is comprised of Municipi III, XI-XV.
- 1 Villa Doria Pamphili (Villa Pamphili) (Via Garibaldi (in Trastevere) leads into Via Aurelia Antica at Porta San Pancrazio; the park entrance is a short distance after the beginning of Via Aurelia). A large villa and 180-ha park that is a major recreation area for Romans, and a popular spot for joggers. One unusual feature of the grounds is the colony of coypus (swamp beavers) around the lake. Natives of South America these ones are descended from some who wisely escaped from a fur farm. There are also colonies by the Tiber.
- 2 Monte Mario. The highest hill in Rome at 139 m, with sweeping views of the Vatican and Rome across the Tiber.
- 3 Olympic Stadium (Stadio Olimpico). The stadium is on the west bank of River Tiber, about three km directly north of the Vatican. It is part of a sports complex that was built for the 1960 Olympic Games, including the Olympic swimming pool and the tennis complex where the annual ATP/WTA Italian Open is held. The main stadium holds more than 80,000 and was extensively rebuilt, with a roof added, for the 1990 World Cup (soccer) finals.
- 4 Portonaccio Sanctuary, Isola Farnese (take the Via Cassia north of Rome to Torrione Cerquetta and then turn right to Isola Farnese). An archaeological site near the ancient Etruscan city of Veii. Veii (or Veio) was a major Etruscan city until its defeat at the hands of the Romans in 396 BC. The Temple of Apollo is here, which is the site where the famous Apollo of Veii statue was discovered in 1916. These days there is little left to see but a few ruins, although the area has yielded up many excellent artefacts that are now mainly in the Etruscan museum at Villa Giulia in Rome/North Center. The surrounding area is a national park, Parco di Veio, that contains Etruscan ruins that, for the most part, are not easily accessible.
- Take in a soccer match at the Stadio Olimpico. The stadium is shared by Rome's two main teams, Rome and Lazio, usually playing there on alternate Sunday afternoons, with occasional games on Saturday or Sunday evenings or midweek evenings. Games between these two clubs are well worth avoiding as they often turn violent but the stadium is rarely full for other matches. However, past crowd troubles mean that you can no longer just turn up: you need to buy tickets in advance at one of the agencies around town, and show some ID when you do!
- [dead link] Casetta di Campagna, Via Affogalasino, 40 (Casetta Mattei-Trullo), ☏ . Closed on Monday. Sunday, Saturday and holidays also open at noon. In the natural park Valle dei Casali they have very good meat. They also offer a fixed price menu for pizza (only for more than 4 people) which is good for a large gathering dinner. You need a car to reach the place.
- La Pergola, Hotel Cavalieri Hilton, Via A. Cadlolo 101, ☏ . Tu-Sa 19:30-00:00; closed Aug 8-Aug 23. Awarded three stars in the Guide Rouge. The chef, Heinz Beck, is German in origin and has set a style which combines Italian fresh produce with exceptional creativity and presentation. The restaurant overlooks Rome, so be sure to get a table by the window. The wine cellar is exceptional. Expect to have to book months in advance, but the trip is well worth it. mains €35-50; set menu €130-150.
- Taverna Pio Bove, Via Alessandro Cruto 9 (Bus 128, 775), ☏ . Open at 19:00 everyday. Good steak house in the suburbs, but not too far from Basilica di San Paolo fuori le mura.
- Yesh', Via Silvestro Gherardi 51, ☏ . Kosher steak house.
- Grand Hotel Fleming, Piazza Monteleone di Spoleto, 20, ☏ . North of the Tiber. 300 bedrooms. Around €150 for a double.
- [dead link] Adema B&B, Via Edoardo Ferravilla, 4, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Adema Bed and Breakfast is in a quiet area near the underground station Battistini. Just a few minutes from the Vatican and Rome centre. From €60 for a double room with private bathroom.
- Hotel Aurelius Rome, Via Aurelia 458, ☏ , fax: . A four-star hotel with 26 single, twin, double and triple bedrooms with private bath and shower. All rates include breakfast: €115 for a single and €130 for a double.
- Roma Point Hotel, Via Flaminia 988, ☏ . Four-star accommodation with 27 bedrooms divided in single, double, triple and suites. All with private bathrooms and located behind the Olympic and Flaminio stadiums. Average rates for a single and a double room starting from €45 and €60.
- [dead link] Excel Hotel Montemario Rome, Via degli Scolopi, 31, ☏ , fax: . Four-star hotel with 97 bedrooms as double, twin, triple, junior suites and suites. All with private bath, shower and American breakfast. Double €90, triple €119.
- B&B Flaminia House, Via Flaminia Vecchia, 484, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 13:00. A family run B&B with all the amenities of a modern hotel. From €60 per person.
- 1 Resort La Rocchetta, Via Giulio Galli, 41, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 3-star hotel in La Giustiniana area. Double room from €120.
- Hotel Relax Rome, Via Milano 19, ☏ , fax: . The Relax accommodation is a modern four-star hotel with 43 single, double, twin, triple, quadruple, junior suites and suite bedrooms. All equipped with private bath and shower. Also available a fitness centre and a sauna. Double €85.
- Tempio di Apollo Hotel, Piazza della Colonnetta, 8, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Some rooms have air conditioning.
- [formerly dead link] Hotel Papillo Rome, Via Arola, 53, ☏ , fax: . The Papillo accommodation is a four-star hotel of Rome with 77 double and twin bedrooms, 4 luxury suite and 1 king suite. All with private bath, shower, bat tub, internet connection, pay per view, satellite TV and flat screen. At the Hotel Papillo is also available the shuttle service to the metro stop, breakfast buffet, bar and restaurant. Rates, double/twin: €95, suite €180.
- [dead link] B&B Casale Altavilla (B&B with swimming pool), Via del Fontanile Arenato, 4 (Underground Line A Anagnina-Battistini), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. double room €80-100.
- Residence Rome, Via della Balduina 8, ☏ , fax: . Apartments rental and hotel room in a residential area near Vatican City. Sporting club with swimming pool and tennis courts. Double room with private facilities from €80.
- Hotel degli Imperatori, Via G. Gonella 15, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Four-star business and leisure hotel. Double room €60-120.
|Routes through North|
|END ←||W E||→ Vatican → Modern Center|
|Modern Center ← Nomentano ←||SW NE||→ END|
|Modern Center ← North Center ←||SW NE||→ END|
|Orte ← Sabine Hills ←||N S||→ North Center → Nomentano|
|END ← Nomentano ←||W E||→ Tivoli → END|
|Viterbo ← Lake Bracciano ←||N S||→ Trastevere → Aventino-Testaccio|