Lakes Entrance is a town in East Gippsland where the Gippsland Lakes finally flow into the sea. It is a major tourist destination, with swimming and boating being the major attractions, but many other attractions like mini-golf and paddle boats which cater to visitors.
The town has a beautiful locality - surrounded by water, lakes and miles of deserted ocean beaches. However, like some other "seaside destinations", Lakes Entrance may not be everyone's scene. The strip can tend to be a little tacky, and run down.
- Griffith's Shell Museum, giant octopus on the roof, fantastic for children, very extensive collection of shells and a great kitch gift shop,
125 Esplanade Lakes Entrance VIC 3909 (03) 5155 1538
- Ocean Beach swimming. Cross the main footbridge across the inlet in the centre of town cross the sandhill, and you will be at the main ocean beach area. A little further north along the road is Eastern Beach, which is patrolled between Christmas and Australia Day.
- Paddle Boats and Catamarans - for hire directly opposite the footbridge.
- Boat hire
- Lake swimming. The jellyfish can be a little larger in the inlet here, but there is an enclosure for swimming - best at higher tides.
* Riviera Trading Post, 2nd Hand Furniture, massive barn for browsing bric a brac furniture, marine, second hand outdoor camping fishing, diving, boating gear tools and equipment.
- Tres Amigos Mexican Restaurant, 521 The Esplanade, ☎ . Not many tables, so it pays to book during the summer season.
- Lakes Entrance Bowls Club, barefoot bowls in summer, cnr Rowe and Bulmer street. Fresh and friendly cool in summer. 03 51 551410
- Lakes Entrance RSL, upstairs, novelty mural and military display's throughout
- Carmel Holiday Flat's, charming, 1950'w style fishing shacks, central locale, $90/night, two bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, tv/radio, separate laundry, relaxed casuual and friendly local owner. 9 Orme Street 51551886.
|Routes through Lakes Entrance|
|Eden ← Orbost ←||N S||→ Bairnsdale → Sale|