Lakewood is in the Gateway Cities region of Los Angeles County.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Lakewood is a bedroom community and one of the first large-scale tract housing cities built following WWII. Lakewood is officially recognized as a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation for its numerous trees and its active care for them. Lakewood is also designated as Sportstown USA by Sports Illustrated magazine for its 10 major parks, nine of which have fields, two community swimming pools and two community centers.
Lakewood is near the junction of California Freeway 91 and Interstate 605. Exiting the 605 at Del Amo Blvd. or South Street then going west will lead to Lakewood. Exiting the 91 at Lakewood, Clark or Bellflower Boulevards then going south will also lead into Lakewood.
- Long Beach Airport (LGB IATA), 4100 Donald Douglas Dr., Long Beach, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. American Airlines, Delta, and JetBlue fly into this airport, just a few miles south of Lakewood.
- Long Beach Transit, ☏ . Nine of Long Beach Transit's lines service the city of Lakewood Regular: $1.25; Seniors (62 and older), Medicare, Disabled: $0.60; Children 4 and under, Legally blind, persons in wheelchairs: Free. Long Beach Transit also offers a Day Pass - Regular: $2.50; Seniors (62 and older), Medicare, Disabled: $1.50. Transfers To Foothill Transit, MTA, OCTA, Norwalk Transit, Torrance Transit, Carson Circuit, Metro Blue Line, Paramount or Bellflower Bus systems - $0.50.
- Metro Transit Authority (MTA), toll-free: . Two MTA lines have their terminus at Lakewood Center Regular: $1.50; Seniors, Disabled, Medicare: $0.55. Metro Day Pass valid on all MTA busses and rail lines - Regular: $6.00; Seniors, Disabled, Medicare: $1.80..
- Summer Concerts in the Park, 5939 Henrilee St, ☏ (after April for a schedule of concerts). Free concerts held in Del Valle Park on Thursday evenings during the summer. Dinner and refreshments are sold at the concert or patrons may bring their own.
- Pan American Fiesta, 5720 Clark Ave (Mayfair Park), ☏ . Month of May. Arts and crafts, displays, food booths, entertainment and amusement rides
- Lakewood Golf Course, 3101 E. Carson Blvd, ☏ . An 18-hole, par 72 golf course.
- Lakewood Equestrian Center, 11369 E. Carson, ☏ . Pony rides, riding lessons and a petting zoo.
- 1 Lakewood Center, 500 Lakewood Center Mall, ☏ . M-F 10AM-9PM, Sa 10AM-8PM, Su 11AM-7PM. Aside from the standard mall stores, Lakewood Center has a Carousel inside of the mall and a Pacific Movie Theatre with 16 screens, including one of the largest Southern California movie screens outside of Hollywood.
Restaurant Row - Candlewood Street between Lakewood Boulevard and Clark Avenue is home to several chain eateries including Baja Fresh, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Hometown Buffet, International House of Pancakes, Marie Callendars, Souplantation and Red Lobster. Other options include:
- El Torito. Mexican
- Mimi's Cafe. American
- Stuart Anderson's Black Angus. Steak
Being a bedroom community, Lakewood has very little in the way of lodging with only two motels located near the Long Beach Towne Center. Some of the communities around Lakewood, especially Long Beach, offer lodging close to Lakewood.
- Crazy 8 Motel, 11535 E Carson St, ☏ . $52-$55/night.
- Lakewood Inn, 11727 Carson St, ☏ .
For all emergencies in Lakewood, dial 911
The majority of Lakewood is considered safe. Most crime in Lakewood is either domestic in nature or is burglary. As at any major shopping center, shoppers at Lakewood Center should be careful about leaving valuables in their cars.
- Lakewood Regional Medical Center, 3700 E. South St, ☏ . 24-hour emergency room.
- Los Angeles County Fire Department services Lakewood. All three of the stations in Lakewood have firefighters trained in basic life support on duty.
- Station 45 - 4020 E Candlewood Street (near Lakewood Center at intersection of Lakewood and Candelwood)
- Station 94 - 6421 E Turnergrove Street (east side of Lakewood near intersection of Palo Verde and Del Amo)
- Station 122 - 2600 Greenmeadow Road (south side of Lakewood near intersection of Carson and Paramount)
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department provides law enforcement services in Lakewood. 5130 N. Clark Avenue, +1 562 866-9061.
- [dead link] Angelo M. Iacoboni Library, 4990 Clark Ave, ☏ . M-Th: 10AM-8PM, F: 10AM-6PM, Sa: 10AM-5PM, Su: 1PM-5PM. The Lakewood Branch of the Los Angeles County Public Library.
- Disneyland — 15 miles east of Lakewood, about 22 minutes driving time.
- Long Beach — Just to the south of Lakewood
|Routes through Lakewood|
|Whittier ← Cerritos ←||N S||→ Long Beach → END|