Langebaan is a town of 8,300 people (2011) on the west coast of South Africa. It is on the eastern shore of Saldanha Bay. The southern part of Saldanha Bay is known as Langebaan Lagoon. To protect its culture as a fishing, holiday and retirement village, the town allows no industries.
Langebaan is about 90 minutes drive from Cape Town. From Cape Town, drive north up the R27 (West Coast Road) through Milnerton and Table View.
- West Coast Fossil Park, R45, Langebaan Road (just north of town), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10AM-4PM, Sa Su 9AM-noon. Adults R40, students and pensioners R30, children (5-15) R20, children (<5) are free. Extra charges for guided tours.
- West Coast National Park, South of town (drive south through Langebaan until you are out of town; the park's north entrance gate is a couple of kilometres from town), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bird-watchers visit the area to view the over 300 species of birds found in the lagoon waters of the West Coast National Park. The park is most busy during the spring flower season (August to September) when the wild flowers are in bloom. Whales can be spotted during October and November.
Langebaan is a great place to kitesurf. There are several kitesurfing schools in Langebaan.
The white sand beaches surrounding the clear waters of the Langebaan Lagoon are one of the main attractions of Langebaan. The mild climate and protected waters of the lagoon make Langebaan popular for sailing, kayaking, kitesurfing and fishing, and the town offers numerous holiday facilities for water sport enthusiasts.
Club Mykonos Resort hosts a number of annual events, festivals and exhibitions. Able to accommodate large numbers, the well-known artists are regular performers at this venue. Popular competitions and fund raising events are hosted at the resort.
Large-scale sporting events such as triathlons, the downwind dash, cycling, car gymkhanas and more are held here. A monthly craft market as well as art exhibitions through the year, showcase the talents of local artists. Community events includes the church bazaar and the annual Langebaan Mussel Festival, which takes place on the first weekend of October.
- Die Strandloper (On the road to the Club Mykonos Casino), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. It serves fresh seafood cooked on open fires on the beach.
Defined by its rugged shorelines, coastal vegetation, heritage fishing villages and unpretentious lifestyle, the West Coast still holds an element of the wild unknown. With a tangibly strong culture of fisher-folk who have been the guardians of the land that supports them, their quaint small wooden fishing boats and simple lives on the sea, are qualities that draw visitors from around the globe. Loved by many, the dramatic coastline, changeable seas, white sandy beaches and cerulean blue skies creep under your skin and seep into your soul. Perhaps the most beautiful of all the quaint villages is Langebaan, with its natural wonders, blue lagoon and azure skies.
- West Coast Villas, 5 Egret St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. All villas in the portfolio have been selected to ensure that guests experience the uniqueness and beauty that the Cape West Coast has to offer. All villas are in the Langebaan area, individually furnished and each with distinct character, location and views.
- The Farmhouse Hotel, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Overlooking the tranquil Langebaan lagoon, the Farmhouse Hotel is an experience to be savoured. Celebrated for our pleasant staff and West Coast warmth, the Farmhouse offers guests an authentic coastal farmstead encounter. Alluring to nature lovers, Langebaan offers vivid shows of spring flowers, birdlife and an untamed coastline.
- 1 Club Mykonos, Leentjiesklip Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM. A family friendly Greek-themed holiday resort located on the shores of the magnificent Langebaan Lagoon. With a host of onsite activities and facilities to ensure that not a moment of your West Coast holiday is wasted. The resort also offers conference facilities and often hosts music shows. A full events calendar is available on the website.