Larache is a city in northern Morocco.
While the city seems big at first, life clusters around the city center near the 1 Place de la Liberation.
Tourists are rarely seen here, creating a quite hassle-free and friendly atmosphere.
- 2 Grand Taxi stand (in front of the Gare Routière). Connections to Asilah (20 dirham, 40 km, 45 min), Tangier, Ksar El-Kebir (15 dirham, 35 km, 40 min).
The city center is easily walkable by foot. For the outskirts, petite taxis are available.
- 1 The ruins of Lixus (8 km following the road to Asilah).
- Kasbah. A 16th-century Portuguese construction that's crumbling down but has good views of the ocean. ,
- Fortress of the stork
- Nuestra Señora Del Pilar's church.
- Archaeological museum.
- Stroll the waterfront or join the locals on a swim at the harbour's stone barriers.
- Enjoy the filled streets after sunset to 10PM, grab a tea in one of the cafes around Place de la Liberation.
There are some restaurants also serving western-style food such as pizzerias or spaghetti.
Furthermore, there are a couple of great sandwich places including one of the best shawarmas in Morocco - see Openstreetmap.
Bakeries and juice stores are also available.
There are many budget hotels and pensions that cluster south of the Place de la Liberation, rooms without bathroom start around 40 dirham.
- 1 Hotel Malaga. Check-out: noon. Simple, but clean and large rooms. Some have balconies. single from 70 dirham.
- 2 Hotel Hay Essalam, 9 avenue Hassan II, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Spacious and clean rooms, also has wifi & air-conditioning. Cheaper to book directly than online. 90 dirham, with bathroom: 116 dirham.
- 3 Hotel Tanger.
- 4 Pension Amal.
- 5 Hotel Espana. Also has Wi-Fi. single from 240 dirham.
Many cafes in the city center (notably Cafe Valencia and Cafe Triana) have free Wi-Fi.
There are also a couple of cyber cafes.