- Cotopaxi International Airport (LTX IATA). TAME, the national airline of Ecuador ceased operations leaving Latacunga with no commercial air service.
Latacunga center is a small and it is an easy 10-minute walk to the bus terminal. The center is compact and best explored on foot.
1 Parque Vicente Léon. A nice place of the city center were stands the cathedral which dates from the 17th century and contains an altar made from pumice. Next to the cathedral there is the Palacio municipal also made from pumice.
- Ideally located near the Cotopaxi, Latacunga allows the organization of mountaineering. Most of the agencies to organized guided climbs are located on Guayaquil street. They offer tours to Chimborazo and Quilotoa as well. In addition, the prices for expeditions are cheaper compared to the one organized from Quito.
- 1 Reserva Ecológica Los Illinizas (Iliniza) (Most visitors enter in the reserve by the small Chaupi village). The ecological reserve allows hiking and climbing. Most of the people spend a night in the Refugio Nuevos Horizontes and then scramble to the Illiniza Norte summit (5126m). The Illiniza Sur summit (5248m) offers much more technical climbing routes.
The most famous and unhealthy dish from Latacunga is call the Chugchucaras is made of deep fried pork, boiled hominy, potatoes, fried plantains, sweet empanadas, popcorn, and pork rinds. It is accompanied by aji, a spicy sauce made with hot peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, and onions. If you are angry you can order one for yourself but it can be easily shared. Most of the restaurant which served the Chugchucaras are located on Quijando y Ordoñez street.
- 1 Pizzeria Buona, Sanchez de Oreliana, ☏ . 1PM–10PM. Nice and generous pizzas or pastas to eat in the restaurant or to take away. There is some vegetarian option as well. from 6$ to 10$ for a pizza..
- 2 Mercado Cerrado Latacunga, Plaza Chile. At the first floor of the market building there is a plenty of option for a typical and cheap lunch. The market itself is also a nice option to buy vegetables and fruits. The options are reduced the Sunday. 2$ for the lunch..
- 3 Santa Maria supermarket (Next to the bus terminal). The biggest supermarket of town with anything available, ideal to do provision before trekking.
1 Hotel Rosim, Calle Quito 16-49, ☏ . Nicely located hotel near the main square. The staff is very helpful to find information to organize trip by yourself to the surrounding parks. $10 for a double room, $15 with breakfast.
2 Hotel Rodelu, Calle Quito No 1631 and Padre Salcedo, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Located next to the Hotel Rosim, it is its the midrange version. The hotel restaurant offers tasty and affordable food. $45 for a double room.
3 Hostal Tiana, Vivero 1.31 and Quijano y Ordonez, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hostel which offers as well services for organizing mountaineering to Cotopaxi, Chimborazo, Illinizas and Rumiñahui. $10.50 for a dormitory bed and $25 for a double room..