There are two rail lines through town, one of them partially electrified and used by the S-Bahn Nuremberg, the so-called "left Pegnitz railway" ("left" and "right" refer to the direction of flow of the river) the other non-electrified and used by regional trains linking Nuremberg to Bayreuth and Hof, the "right Pegnitz railway". Accordingly the stations are named by the side of the river they sit on.
VGN (Verkehrsverbund Großraum Nürnberg) has ample commections to Lauf, which has three stations, two of which are northwest and southeast of the city center respectively (Lauf rechts Pegnitz and Lauf Links Pegnitz), both in walkable distance. The trains are R3, R32 (Lauf (rechts Pegnitz), S1 (Lauf West, Lauf (lings Peg)).
- 1 Industriemuseum Lauf (Industry museum), Sichartstraße 5 - 25, ☏ . W-Su 11:00-17:00, last entry 16:30. At the river Pegnitz, this museum shows the history and practice of industrialization and historic craft works. Regular €5; children €2.50; reduced €4; family packages €6-10.
- 2 Lauf Castle (Wenzelschloss). A medieval castle that is no longer used but has been extensively renovated and can be booked for weddings
- 1 Altes Rathaus, Marktplatz 1, 91207 Lauf a.d.Pegnitz, ☏ . Tu-Su 11:00-14:00 and 17:00-22:00, closed on M. Franconian food.
- 2 Der Zwinger Melber, Hersbrucker Str. 1, 91207 Lauf, ☏ . Tu-F 11:00-14:30 and 17:00-23:00, Sa Su 11:00-23:00. Franconian and international cuisine.
- 1 Hotel-Gasthof Zur Post, Friedensplatz 8, 91207 Lauf an der Pegnitz, ☏ . Exclusively non-smoking rooms with shower/WC, hairdryer, flat-screen TV, minibar, Wi-Fi free of charge. Restaurant with Franconian and international cuisine, main courses from €9. Single €78, double €104 including breakfast.