Leighlinbridge is a large village of 2,000 people in the west of County Carlow. Situated on the River Barrow, the village is credited for its natural beauty and has excelled in recent years in many environmental competitions - most notably its victory in the Europe-wide Entente Floral competition in 2001. The village makes full use of the river, with cruising and riverside walks on offer, as well as a marina.
The village is 10 minutes from Carlow town on the N9, drivers should take the left which is well signposted, just before the point where the road meets the River Barrow. Leighlinbridge is about 10 minutes by car from Bagenalstown by following the signposted route.
The wide Valerian bridge was built in the 1300s, and is one of Europe's oldest. Beside it, there is a 500 year old Norman castle. Leighlinbridge's history and its links to the ancient seat of the Kings of South Leinster at Dinn Righ is remembered at the N9 exit to the village, where The Hill of the Kings, a sculpture by Michael Warren, won't go unnoticed from the roadside.
- Fishing. Thanks to Leighlinbridge's riverside nature, there are many points along the Barrow Track which provide ideal spots.
- Walking. The Barrow Track runs adjacent to the river, and can be joined at the bridge.
- Arboretum Garden Centre, Kilkenny Road, ☎ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Ireland's only five-star garden centre, the Arboretum provides plants and products for those with an interest in gardening. Renovations in 2005 led to the opening of a new pet and pond centre, as well as an extension to the on-site 'Mulberry's Restaurant'.
- Lord Bagenal Inn, Main St. Offers a varied menu and a wide selection of fresh seafood. Recommended by John & Sally McKenna of the Irish Times, Egon Ronay and Les Routiers.
- Lord Bagenal Inn, ☎ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Popular hotel which has nearly completed a large extension. Situated on the banks of the River Barrow, with an on-site marina.
- Garrison House, ☎ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 3 bedroom or 2 bedroom riverside houses, with playground, picnic area and barbeque patio on site.