Leros is a Greek island and municipality in the Dodecanese in the southern Aegean Sea. It lies 317 kilometres (197 miles) (171 nautical miles) from Athens' port of Piraeus, from which it can be reached by an 11-hour ferry ride (or by a 45-minute flight from Athens). Leros is part of the Kalymnos regional unit. The island has been also called Lèro (Italian) and İleriye (Turkish).
The Leros Municipal Airport at Partheni connects the island daily with Athens. There are also ferry connections to and from Piraeus and the other islands of the Dodecanese. The Catamaran Dodekanissos Express and the Hydrofoils (only during the summer) connect Leros with most of the Dodecanese islands. For those who want to visit Leros the alternative way to ferry travel (8–10 hours) is to fly to Athens and then fly to Leros with domestic flight or fly direct to Kos and then to Leros by boat (1 – 2 hours).
Platanos, the island's capital, sits on the brow of a hill and has well-preserved, stately residences. Visit the Archeological Museum in Agia Marina (tel. 22470-24.775).
Lakki features Rationalist architecture, an imprint of early 20th-century Italian occupation.
Alinta's Belleni Tower is home of the Folklore and History Museum.
Panteli, a fishing village, has a Byzantine castle and the Ecclesiastical Vestry of Byzantine Art.
In Xirokambos, climb up to Palaiokastro and look for the Chapel of Panagia Kavouradaina.
At Merikia beach, the War Museum sits inside a restored military tunnel.
- Agia Kioura - azure waters
- Blefouti - calm and sandy
- Vromolithos - sand and pebbles
- Alinta - most popular
- Dyo Lisgaria - shaded by eucalyptus trees
- Gurna - look for Agios Isidoros, a chapel on a rock by the sea
- In Panteli, try the Fisherman's spat dish made with lobster and kritharaki (orzo) at Psaropoula.
- At Agia Marina, go to Mylos for seafood and tomato fritters, and Paradosiako pastry shop for the best sweets.
- In Drymonas, you'll find barbecued crab and fresh fish at Sotos.
- At Xirokambos, Aloni is best known for its swordfish served with garlic purée.
- In Alinta, Mavraki serves home-style cooking.