Levuka has a population of about 3000 people. The town was the capital of Fiji from 1874 until 1883 when the capital moved to Suva. Levuka was designated an historic town in 1989 and was inscribed to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2013.
Ovalau Island is a lush tropical volcanic island of about 100 km² surrounded by large coral reefs. It is the main island of the Lomaiviti Group which is made up of the islands of Namena, Makogai, Koro, Wakaya, Batiki, Nairai, Gau and Ovalau. The islands are the peaks of deep-sea volcanoes that became extinct millions of years ago.
AIR: Northern Air Services fly to Levuka daily from Monday to Saturday, departing Nausori (Suva) Airport at 8AM for the 12-minute scenic flight to Levuka. They then return to Nausori at 8:40AM. Bookings can be made on line or by phoning +679 9958162. $75 one way
The airstrip, approx. 40 minutes from the town, is on the western side of the island and is serviced by a local bus.
SEA: Patterson Brothers shipping (+679 3315 644, email@example.com) has a daily bus and ferry service from Suva to Levuka. The trip takes 4½ hours, and is recommended for its experience.
You can't hire bicycles, but walking around the island can be great. Or, hire a taxi for the day to drive you round. You could always try hopping on a 'carrier' (a pick-up truck/lorry with benches and a tarpaulin covering it) but beware, these don't run to a schedule so you may end up stranded if you're not careful!
Your own two legs will help you see most of Levuka, going up the many, many steps to Delana School, or indeed the Peak.
Enjoy the history and the heritage of the town and the island.
Hike up to the mountain peak overlooking the reefs and the Koro Sea.
Explore the lush jungle, spot the Kula (dwarf parrot), Fiji Hawk, find the sleeping trees of the Fruit Bat.
Call into the Levuka Community Centre and visit the town's small museum.
Take coastal walks around the island, walk past fijian villages, meet the Fijians.
Walk up the 199 steps to Mission Hill and experience the fantastic panorama of the offshore islands and the Lekaleka Reef.
Relax and enjoy a cold glass of beer at the Ovalau Club.
Don't miss the sights of Arovudi including; ancient tribal areas, local villages, great white coral beaches and friendly people.
Tours to all important historic sites are on offer, coastal walks, round the island tours, various hikes into the mountains, that is to The Peak or Epis tour to Lovoni, snorkeling to beautiful barrier reefs, exciting scuba diving trips, seasonal whale sightings, fishing trips, village tours,and island trips.
There are supermarkets and grocery stores stocked with "European" foods as well as beer, wines and spirits, bakeries, hardware & appliance stores. Local market vendors selling vegetable, fruit and fish. There are also few second hand clothes shop in Beach Street, which have cheap clothes, mainly from Australia.
- Koro Makawa Seafood like grilled tuna steak, local Fijian cuisine or delicious pizzas are served for lunch and dinner. Daily special menus.
The restaurant located right in town offers also a quick lunch menu from curries to fish and chips for eat in or take away.
- Paak Kum Loong The Chinese Restaurant has a wide ranged menu with all kinds of Chinese meals, but you can also enjoy excellent Indian dishes. Located in the "center" of Levuka, you have a nice view from the 1st floor to watch the sea and the hustle and bustle on the street. Opened for lunch and dinner.
- Whales Tale Restaurant On Beach Street in "downtown" Levuka, the Whales Tale offers excellent European cuisine in a casual sea faring environment.
- Sea Site Restaurant Local restaurant, where you can enjoy Indian, European and Fijian dishes. Situated on the main road.
- Emilies Cafe Take your coffee with a fresh baked bread, vegetarian roti, pie or just relax with a drink in the open backyard of the bakery shop.
- Ovalau Holiday Resort The Ovalau Holiday Resort restaurant is about 4 km out of town and offers a menu for everyone. Fresh seafood, European, Indian and traditional Fijian style meals
- Koro Makawa Club, just behind the restaurant is nightclub for locals and tourists. The staff are very friendly and welcoming to foreigners and drinks are well priced.
- The Ovalau Club, next to the Town Hall and Ruins of the Masonic Lodge, the oldest club in the South Pacific, regulars show up for a drink after work, occasional dances on the weekend.
- Mary's Holiday Lodge, Beachstreet, ☎ .
- Mavida Guest House, Beachstreet, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gun Rock Cottage, Beachstreet, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Oniviro Settlement.
Levuka is a great base to explore Ovalau Island or some of the surrounding islands.
- Epi's midland tour is a good one. Epi leads you up, and then down into the volcanic crater to visit a small village called Lovoni. Ask for Epi in Levuka, he's not hard to find.
- Bobo´s Farm on a riverbank surrounded by rainforest in the Rukuruku Valley on the west side of Ovalau. If you want to experience the real rural Fiji, fun, adventures and the sound of the jungle at dusk in a warm welcoming Fijian hospitality.
- Silana Village Silana offers Fijian hospitality in modern comfortable bure accommodation. On the beach, 3 minutes walk from the village, but close enough to become part of the village, sharing their meals and way of life.
- Caqalai Island Take a daytrip to Caqalai, a beautiful coral island run by the Methodist Church and offering simple bure accommodation. White sandy beach all around the island, with good snorkeling just a few meters offshore.
- Leleuvia Island Larger but just as beautiful as Caqelai, Leleuvia offers day trips as well as great value overnight facilities. Transportation to Leleuvia is available from both Levuka and Suva.
- Lost Island is on the island of Yanuca Lailai, south of Ovalau Island. Its an uninhabited 72 acres big, volcanic rock, limestone island with an amazing nature. The coastline with mangrove, volcanic rock cliffs and beaches surrounds an abounded jungle. Its totally off the main tourist track and its a hiding place to get away from the busy world and live a "Robinson Crusoe". Daytrips or bures for overnight stays.
- Naigani Island Resort Island resort, accommodation in 2-bedroom bungalows. Swimming pool, bar, restaurant, golf, scuba diving, game fishing, kayaking, hiking.