There are 24 villages and settlements on the island. Levuka is the only town and acts as a market place and service centre for the people of the island of Ovalau. Levuka is also the former capital of Fiji.
- 1 Levuka - a town on the eastern coast and former capital of Fiji
- Arovudi - a small seaside village on Ovalau Island
AIR: Pacific Sun (Reservations Ph: +679 6720 888) has three flights weekly from Suva to Levuka (Bureta airstrip). Flying time: approximately 12 min. Check first, as there were no flights available in December 2010 so this may not be an option at the time of your travel.
The airstrip, approximately 40 min from town, is on the west side of the island and is serviced by a local bus.
SEA: Patterson Brothers Shipping (Ph: +679 3315 644, e: firstname.lastname@example.org) has a daily (sometimes on Sunday) bus and ferry service from Suva to Levuka. The trip takes 4½ hours, and is recommended for its experience. The connecting bus leaves Suva from the bus stand opposite the flea market at 13:00 and arrives at Natovi at 15:30. The ferry departs from Natovi jetty at 16:00 and arrives at Buresala jetty (Ovalau Island) at 16:50. The connecting bus departs Buresala at 17:00 arrives at Levuka at 17:45. The ferry back to Suva departs Buresala jetty (Ovalau) at 05:45. You can also take your own car on this ferry service. Bookings should be made (for any trip) at least four days in advance. Cost is $25 one way.
- Anniversary Bure- built for Prince Charles to entertain dignitaries when he came to grant Fiji her independence in 1970.
- Cession Stone- commemorating the signing of the Deed of Cession between Fiji and Great Britain
- Leleuvia Island. A beautiful coral cay about a 45-minute boat ride from Levuka.
- Lovoni. The village of Lovoni lies in the center of the islands volcanic crater and is a lush and fertile valley.
- Silana (on the north west coast of Ovalau, 10 km from Levuka town). Sights here include white coral sand beach, local village life, village green, church and temple.
- Queen Victoria Memorial Hall
- War Memorial on Niukaube Hill
- Fishing - Hand line and trawling
- Hiking; to cultural sights and ruins
- Scuba Diving - Sharks, coral, small sea creatures or manta rays, all here. Try Ovalau Watersports for info on diving locally.
- Snorkelling - Around the local beaches of on the reefs along side divers there are great locations near Ovalau.
- Epi's tours, Lovoni. Epi comes from Lovoni, the village in the middle of the crater that makes up Ovalau. Married to an English woman, he has been taking people on tours to Lovoni for around 16 years. The tours vary depending on the weather and what you want to see or do, but includes a traditional Fijian lunch using local produce, and a tour of the village and the surrounding countryside. Epi's tours can be booked through your accommodation on Ovalau (by phone or email), or Ovalau Watersports.
The only restaurants on the Ovalau Island are in Levuka town, or at the Ovalau Holiday Resort, 4 km north of Levuka. However visitors may be offered food and drink when passing by a village. This is Fijian custom and should not be abused.
The only bars or clubs on the island are in Levuka. In the villages the only drink is yaqona (kawa).
- Bobo's Farm (Near Ruku Ruku). A family home in the middle of the rain forest. The owner will take you to the beach, sandbanks, nearby islands, snorkelling, spear fishing and has an extensive knowledge of the surrounding flora and fauna. The journey to Bobo's Farm can take a bit as it's literally on the other side of the island, but is well worth doing.
- Levuka Homestay. Levuka Homestay is run by a laid-back Australian couple, John and Marilyn. There are four rooms, three with a double bed, and one with a double and single bed. Each room is on a separate level and has its own verandah. The rooms have polished floors, ceiling fan, refrigerator, en suite bath, outside veranda, and private entrance. A very full breakfast is included.
- Ovalau Holiday Resort (About 4 km north of Levuka), ☎ . Simple basic seaside bungalows reached by taxi or carrier from Levuka, Price for whole cottages (sleeps 4) start at around $90.
- Royal Hotel. The oldest hotel still standing in Fiji, this hotel has plenty of character and authentic old furniture and decorations throughout. Each room is different, and is good for the budget traveler.
- Silana Village Backpackers and Cottages, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Arovudi, reached by taxi or carrier from Levuka, Tentsites dorm and cottages available near white coral sand beach. From $20.