Lewisporte (population 3483, founded 1876) is a deep-water port and shipping centre on Notre Dame Bay which has served as a fishing, farming and boat-building settlement, a shipping port and sawmill, and until recently a distribution point for supplies destined to Cartwright and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador by coastal ferry. Due to its proximity to Gander's once-bustling international airport, Lewisporte accommodated more than 700 of the 6500 trans-Atlantic airline passengers diverted to Gander during the September 11, 2001 attacks in the US. A 10th anniversary reunion for Delta 15's passengers and the people of Lewisporte was held by Canada's Atlanta consulate in 2011.
Lewisporte is on Route 341.
Lewisporte is the southern terminus of a seasonal coastal ferry service to Labrador.
- Nunatsiavut Marine (MV Northern Ranger), Lewisporte Main Dock, 123 Main St., ☎ , fax: . Cargo is no longer accepted for Goose Bay and Cartwright as the Trans-Labrador Highway reaches those communities, but Black Tickle, Rigolet, Makkovik, Postville, Hopedale, Natuashish and Nain are still accessible only by outport ferry.
- Lewisporte Marina and Yacht Club, 152 A Main Street, Lewisporte, ☎ .
- Lewisporte Taxi, 7 Mill St., ☎ .
- 1 Lewisporte Heritage Centre, 235 Main Road, ☎ . Jun 15-Aug 30. By the Bay Museum. Logging and carpentry tools, photographs, paintings, books, household and children's items. Photography equipment. World War I and II artefacts, medical equipment collection and a 28-foot hooked rug depicting history of the town.
- 2 Lewisporte Train Park, 152 Main St., ☎ . end June-end Aug. Railway museum on the east side of Lewisporte; a narrow-gauge (3.5') Newfie Bullet once ran from Port aux Basques to St. Johns but all rails were removed from the island in the 1980s. Hiking & walking trail, authentic Newfoundland trains, picnic area, cultural & historic information. Donations welcome.
- 1 Notre Dame Provincial Park, 1km E of Notre Dame Junction on Trans-Canada Highway. Former Abitibi-Price logging site, donated as a park in 1960. Picnic area, two playgrounds, 100-site camp ground, toilets, RV dump station, unsupervised sandy beach for swimming, cross-country ski trails, convenience store, boat rental.
- Mussel Bed Soirée. Aug. Live music and entertainment, one weekend.
- Boat and Outdoor Show, ☎ . May.
- Trade and Craft Show. mid-Sep. $6/weekend.
- 1 Rossy, Lewisporte Mall, 465 Main St (Near Tim Horton's.), ☎ . 9:30AM-5:30PM daily, Su noon-5PM, Th & F 9:30AM-9PM. Discount store in former Bargain Giant.
- 1 Country Garden Restaurant, 465 Main St, ☎ .
- 2 Greco Pizza & Donair, 510 Main St, ☎ . Italian food.
- 1 Blue Finn Lounge, 140 Main St, ☎ .
- 1 Brittany Inn, 373 Main St, ☎ . Hotel with dining room, lounge, meeting room.
- 2 Ocean View, 210 Main St, ☎ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Four-bedroom B&B overlooking Lewisporte harbour and marina. $100-125.
- 3 Islands Villa, 203 Main St, ☎ . Eight-room high-end motel with four-and-a-half star rating. Centrally located with a view of the marina.
- 1 Lewisporte Memorial Public Library, 152 Main Street (in the Town Hall), ☎ . Local library with free Internet and wi-fi.