Although most people come to the region to see the Niagara Falls, or to go to Buffalo, but the small town of Lewiston is a town worth stopping to see. The town was burned to the ground during the war of 1812. When rebuilt, Lewiston was the final stop on the Underground Railroad for escaped slaves on the freedom train to Canada. Today, Lewiston is home to shopping, festivals, and a scenic view of the Niagara River.
The easiest way to get to Lewiston is by taking the Niagara Thruway from Niagara Falls and Buffalo. From the west, taking I90 east will lead straight to Buffalo, as will taking the New York Thruway from the east. There are several different routes available from the south, including driving on I79 North from Pittsburgh and transferring onto I90 in Erie, Pennsylvania.
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority provides bus service throughout all of Erie and Niagara Counties. The number 50B from Niagara Falls will take you straight to Lewiston (Monday thru Friday only).
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF IATA), in Cheektowaga, is the main airport for the region. It provides flights nationwide, and is a 35 minute drive from Lewiston.
- Niagara Falls International Airport (IAG IATA), east of Niagara Falls, is only a 20 minute drive from Lewiston. It provides flights to several different cities in Florida as well as seasonal flights to Myrtle Beach.
Driving is by far the easiest way to get around. Niagara Falls has an abundance of rental car services available.
Although it will take longer, most of Lewiston has sidewalks and is very walkable.
- The Niagara River Waterfront overlooks the Niagara River and into Canada. The waterfront is home to The Silo and Water Street Landing, two unique restaurants, river tours, and beautiful scenery.
- Earl W. Brydges Artpark, locally known as The Artpark, has an archaeological site, picnicking, and cross country skiing.
- Center Street hosts seasonal festivals, and is home to lots of shops and restaurants, as well as The Frontier House.
- Niagara Power Vista, 5777 Lewiston Rd, ☎ . Daily 9AM-5PM except Thnksgvng, 24-25 Dec, 31 Dec, 1 Jan. This gleaming glass-enclosed visitor's center is just south of the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, at the hydroelectric dam and reservoir. Its free exhibits (many of them hands-on) make for a fascinating and inexpensive side-trip from either Lewiston or Niagara Falls. Free.
- Reservoir State Park overlooks the Reservoir; visitors can enjoy picnicking, sports fields, fishing in the Reservoir, and what might be the most intimidating sledding hill in Western New York.
- Whirlpool Tours provide tours of the Niagara River and its rapids during the summer. It is on South Water Street, and costs in between $40-$60 per person
- The Spa at Barton Hotel on South Water street. Does require a reservation.
|Routes through Lewiston|
|Niagara Falls, ON ← becomes ← ←||N S||→ Niagara Falls, NY → Buffalo|
|END ←||W E||→ Youngstown → Rochester|
|END ← Niagara Falls ←||W E||→ Lockport → Rochester|