Lieksa is 90 km from the nearest major city Joensuu, and you can drive there in a little over an hour.
By public transportation
In the summer you can cross Pielinen by car ferry.
The centre of Lieksa is compact, but many of the attractions listed here are off the beaten track and only accessible by car. Google Maps offers route planner which includes sparse long distance buses which can be used for local trips also, and Matka.fi route planner includes also some of them.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä
- 1 Pielisen Museo, Pappilantie 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10AM-6PM. An open air museum and exhibition halls with log houses, old tools and vehicles and such, where visitors can learn about the daily life in Lieksa once upon a time. adults €5, children under 12 years €1.50.
- 2 The Rukajärvi front, Asema-aukio 2, ☏ . M–F 09:00–15:00. Sites from Second World War battles in the forests northeast of Lieksa. Office and exhibitions at the railway station.
- 3 Paateri church. A wooden church designed like no other. In Paateri, 25 km south of Lieksa.
- 1 Pikkukili, Salonkyläntie 90, Kelvä, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A zoo with farm animals almost in the middle of nowhere, halfway to Joensuu along highway 73. Views over Lake Pielinen from the observation tower, and looking east you can see Russia. They also have cottages where you can stay overnight. adults €12, children €10.
- 2 Patvinsuo National Park. In the southern part of Lieksa municipality.
- 3 Ruunaa Hiking Centre (Ruunaan retkeilykeskus), Neitikoskentie 73, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A kind of "wilderness activity center" in the middle of the forest about 20 km east of Lieksa. Aside from being a hotel it is also a place for white water rafting, fishing, hiking and cross-country skiing in the winter.
- 1 Hotelli Puustelli, Hovileirinkatu 3, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A basic hotel in the town centre of Lieksa.